Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
EJ
Minors (Double A)

Help for a N00b on Buying Packs

I am new to PT, and so far, I'm enjoying the ups-and-downs of my first Entry Level team. I enjoyed getting close to .500, only to watch in dread as the team won only three times in June.

Anyway, my question is about purchasing player packs. I've finally cleared 5,000 points . . . is it a better strategy at this early stage of team development to buy a single Gold Pack, or five regular packs? I suspect it is the latter, as I am taking the long view on development.

TIA.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
chazzycat
All Star Starter

five regular packs for sure
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I am new to PT, and so far, I'm enjoying the ups-and-downs of my first Entry Level team. I enjoyed getting close to .500, only to watch in dread as the team won only three times in June.

Anyway, my question is about purchasing player packs. I've finally cleared 5,000 points . . . is it a better strategy at this early stage of team development to buy a single Gold Pack, or five regular packs? I suspect it is the latter, as I am taking the long view on development.

TIA.

You can also find upgrades on the AH in your price range but packs can be more fun.

Like Chazzy said, regular packs buys you more lottery tickets so to speak.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
EJ
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the advice.

Your answers did get me to thinking about a couple more questions:

1) Do PP carry over from Entry Division to my first league assignment?
2) Is there any advantage -- if indeed PP carry over -- in waiting to buy packs then, as opposed to now?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
skep
Minors (Double A)

Yes PP carry over.

If you're going to buy packs with your PP, there's no reason to wait. There will be Diamond and Historical packs (maybe more) on offer at different times throughout the year, but imo Regular packs are the way to go. Rip now and use players to accrue more PP on achievements and move up the PT system.

skep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #6
EJ
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skep View Post
Yes PP carry over.

If you're going to buy packs with your PP, there's no reason to wait. There will be Diamond and Historical packs (maybe more) on offer at different times throughout the year, but imo Regular packs are the way to go. Rip now and use players to accrue more PP on achievements and move up the PT system.
Many thanks. I will buy and rip this afternoon !
Old 03-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Many thanks. I will buy and rip this afternoon !

Let us know how it goes!

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
EJ
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Let us know how it goes!
I wound up buying four regular packs, and the first three were very good with 2 golds, 1 silver, and 7 bronze. The 2 golds came in the same pack. The fourth was much more blah. So yes, buying more regular packs was much more productive than buying one gold pack. Thanks again for all who advised.

Last edited by EJ; 03-26-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #9
chisox378
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I had no idea. I was saving for Gold packs thinking it was the only way to get good cards and gold cards. Thanks!
chisox378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #10
EJ
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox378 View Post
I had no idea. I was saving for Gold packs thinking it was the only way to get good cards and gold cards. Thanks!
I will add that my next four regular pack purchases were rather mundane. It all evens out.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #11
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not at all.

A Gold Pack guarantees you one Gold card, and five cards that could be anything from Iron to Perfect.

Whereas a Standard Pack guarantees you one Bronze card, and five cards that could be anything from Iron to Perfect at the same odds as a Gold Pack.

So for the same price as a Gold, you can buy five Standards and get five times as many chances as pulling that Perfect or Historical high Diamond.

I mean, the odds still aren't great, but if you can get five times as many chances for the same price...why not go for it?

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
dank41
Bat Boy

Gold packs are a double edged sword because you could get stuck with a low gold that only sells for around 1000 pp

When I first started I really wanted a gold pack for that "guarantee" but then realized I could find better value in auction house

Still love ripping packs though
dank41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
chisox378
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the responses. Compared to last season, it's hard for me to gather PP maybe because I'm not winning right now.
chisox378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #14
dank41
Bat Boy

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Compared to last season, it's hard for me to gather PP maybe because I'm not winning right now.
Might be worth creating another login and making another team?

One of my teams is in the playoffs and one is possibly the worst team of all time. I find the benefit of ripping a lot of packs is you still end up with a lot of decent bronze and silvers to make your team pretty solid.

The first year I also keep an eye on league leaders in my leagues to see if there are players outperforming their value and see if we can add similar players.

Sometimes that iron or bronze card can have a great season.
dank41 is offline   Reply With Quote