Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
witherscraig
Minors (Rookie Ball)

What's Your General Gameplay Strategy?

I've been playing OOTP for many years and usually play my solo games the same way. I will take over a struggling small market team (i.e., Marlins or A's). I will first completely revamp the coaching staff at every level. I'll then sell off all the guys with high salaries that I can and try to build up a strong farm, with a focus on defense and pitching.

Once I get all of this stuff done, I will mostly sim my way through the seasons, stopping to spend significant time on the draft, IFA, etc.

I'm very curious about how others play. Do you tend to take on rebuilding projects like me, or do you prefer to take over teams that are already solid? Do you play out the games or sim for the most part? What is your team building strategy? What is your strategy when it comes to personnel?
witherscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by witherscraig View Post
I've been playing OOTP for many years and usually play my solo games the same way. I will take over a struggling small market team (i.e., Marlins or A's). I will first completely revamp the coaching staff at every level. I'll then sell off all the guys with high salaries that I can and try to build up a strong farm, with a focus on defense and pitching.

Once I get all of this stuff done, I will mostly sim my way through the seasons, stopping to spend significant time on the draft, IFA, etc.

I'm very curious about how others play. Do you tend to take on rebuilding projects like me, or do you prefer to take over teams that are already solid? Do you play out the games or sim for the most part? What is your team building strategy? What is your strategy when it comes to personnel?
Depends on the game. I'd I'm doing a ML start, I'll do the same, but usually a more mid market team, like the royals (except, this year, people got me really amped to take the Marlins), I keep dynamic league evolution on, and if the league expands, I automatically go to one of those teams. I try to avoid my teams (Rays, Tigers, Cubs), because I don't want to mess them up.

In a fictional league, I'll typically make a team on Detroit, Grand Rapids, or the vicinity (in the past, Sarasota/ Tampa- St Pete), specifically for myself.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I try and maximize my spending but not end up in top 5 in payroll because that's just cheating. I spend up until my max limit and get immediate help with free agent good starters at their peak for a short contracts before I cut them loose but I avoid big inflated contracts with older declining stars unless I know i'm close to making a good run and the risk is worth it. Sometimes it pays off sometimes they get hurt or decline way too fast.

I don't like long re-builds so I try and stay competitive while I get some talent to come up from the minors but it won't be as much as if I devoted all my funds to it like others do. Basically it's a hybrid approach and it works as I can get some championships that way but I'll freely admit it is NOT the way to go to build a dynasty but you can still get some championships it's just they are more spread out plus it keeps you competitive the majority of years.

As far as what type of teams starting pitching is so critical. Relievers are a dime a dozen and that's the easiest to shore up but if you don't have solid SPs your screwed no matter what type of bats you bring.

Last edited by andyhdz; 06-10-2019 at 02:38 PM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

I play out every game, keep a good eye on MILB, draft every round, etc.

Started a NYM franchise in OOTP 16 & have been playing that ever since. I try to start new games, but always return to my dynasty. started with the real MLB teams/players & it has slowly become fictional.

build with speed, power & great bullpen.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

I like to do a Promotion-Relegation league, let it sim for 4 or 5 years to establish real history and let teams settle to their places. I take over a mid table or lower team in the bottom division and try to get it to the top.

I am also running a game where I took over my Reds starting this year and, as we start 2022, I have them playing a little above .500 with no serious money issues except that Votto contract.

I mostly just play as the GM, although I will occasionally sim a game, especially in the playoffs.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

I play an MLB universe with fictional players.

http://ootp.biz/lgreports/index.html

-Entering the 16th Season.
-Play out every game as Red Sox
-Started the league in 1999 as a fantasy draft. I had the #1 Pick (Roy Brooks)
-Tend to sign young players to long contracts.
-Always deal away stars before they hit free agency.
-1 Experimental indy league that drafts from all free agents 2 days after the MLB draft. 40 man rosters, no transactions. Players can be purchased by MLB. Helps to keep players from prematurely retiring due to not making an MLB club.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
ruffyen
Minors (Single A)

Generally speaking I always start the new season out as the Orioles and see what I can do with them.

After I get bored with that (or just get sick of losing because i get so attached to the IRL players) I start a Fictional P/R style league. Pick a random team change them to play in Birmingham Alabama and play from there.

I spend a decent amount of time on teh Draft (first 7 picks) and IFA when it makes sense.

I sim 1 series at a time, see how the team is doing, make adjustments and then sim again. Sometimes I sim 2 or 3 series as long as I dont have injuries to deal with.

Re: Coaching I turn it off. Until they fix it where I can see who would accept a position on my MiLB teams I just dont care about it.

ruffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #8
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I expand the existing Major Leagues to 36 teams and import historical teams and players to stock the extra teams. I of course hold a Fantasy Draft and try to draft a young competitive team with players I'll be able to control for a few seasons before they can become free agents. I pay close attention to my minor leagues and handle everything except minor league lineups and pitching staffs (with some exceptions). As the league progresses I'll import a few of historical players as free agents each off season. I tend to sim a week at a time, but will manage a dozen or so games a season.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:06 AM   #9
rink23
Hall Of Famer

I created a 24-team league (Midwest Baseball League) built through a draft of MLB players going into the 2018 season.
It began with the 2018 season. We are now in the 2022 season.

There are two leagues with two divisions of six teams. Division winners play a series to reach the World Series.
Championship series is best of 5. World Series is best of seven.

All of the teams are in the Midwest. There is a salary cap of $205 million. It is a no-DH league.
In the initial league draft, I think I drafted something like sixth. It was a snake draft, so the next time around, I think it means I picked 18th.
Regular minor leagues. Real ballparks, most are from the past. I tried to tie them to the cities they are located in best I could.
I run/manage the St. Louis River Walkers. We play in Busch Stadium from 1997.

I play out all nine innings of every game and operate almost all facets of the franchise outside of the minor leagues.

We won the World Series in 2018, went something like 105-57. The next year won around 95 games, won the division and lost in the league championship series.
Failed to reach the playoffs the next two seasons, I'm in the midst of a game right now so I am just reccollecting, as my win totals dropped each year. I think it was 91-71 and 87-75 in 2020 and 2021, respectively.

Right now, in 2022, it's getting toward the end of July and my team is 52-41 and in second place in the National League South Division, 5.5 games in back of the Des Moines Harvesters.
My best position players are Andrew Benintendi, Rhys Hoskins and Bo Bichette.
My starting pitching staff is anchored by Aaron Nola and Kyle Hendricks.
My closer is Tommy Kahnle.
You can follow my franchises in the fictional dynasty thread. River Walkers is somewhere in the title thread.

Frequent River Walkers boxscores and league news is posted.
I do a thread for each season. The 2018 through 2021 seasons are in OOTP 2019.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Try to keep payroll below the top third. Not strict though. I'll resign a player I already have, particularly one on the historic team, even if it pushes me over on that. But I won't buy a free agent that pushes me over.

I try to have at least 7 or 8 players who historically played for the team. Its possible to do that even 20 years into a game.

No DH. No interleague. Play all teams in division same number of times. Out of division same number of times. No wild cards.

Last edited by Brad K; 06-11-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I've found out that when you dont' play interleague you really get to focus in on your subleague and know the other teams and stars so much better. When you throw in IL it just feels more impersonal. But sometimes you just can't help it because of your league size and structure.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #12
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
I've found out that when you dont' play interleague you really get to focus in on your subleague and know the other teams and stars so much better. When you throw in IL it just feels more impersonal. But sometimes you just can't help it because of your league size and structure.
I don't do any expansions that result in leagues that can't have x games against every in division opponent and y games (lower number) against every out of division opponent with equal home and away games against each.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #13
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witherscraig View Post

Always take over the White Sox...been doing that since Season Ticket
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I like to use the movie Major League strategy. Get rid of mostly entire starting team and get players from Mexican and Indy leagues. Welcome #1 draft pick the next year.

You save a lot of money but your budget will be cut from the owner after year 1. Usually the cut isn't that bad. Did it with Detroit where I got rid of their two awful huge contracts. That saved like 60ish million so even after owner cut budget the next year by 20 I was still up way ahead cause just 2 contracts were multiple years.

I just try to trade for minor league depth and some AAA/AAAA players that teams don't need but can be starters my 2nd year.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I like to use the movie Major League strategy. Get rid of mostly entire starting team and get players from Mexican and Indy leagues. Welcome #1 draft pick the next year.

You save a lot of money but your budget will be cut from the owner after year 1. Usually the cut isn't that bad. Did it with Detroit where I got rid of their two awful huge contracts. That saved like 60ish million so even after owner cut budget the next year by 20 I was still up way ahead cause just 2 contracts were multiple years.

I just try to trade for minor league depth and some AAA/AAAA players that teams don't need but can be starters my 2nd year.

Oh I bet the fans of your team love you lol.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #16
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)

Well its often an awful team like the Tigers or someone like that so fan's usually don't like us anyway lol

2nd year usually an average ball club. 3rd year is often post season with possible Championship contender.

Edit...

Haven't played enough ootpXX to tell but in OOTP 19 some teams/cities no matter how good you did Fan Interest would only move temporarily with signing of popular players but would then head back to the starting average.

My A's in ootp19 I don't think I was able to get fan interest higher then mid 50s after like 10 seasons of post season play and maybe 4-5 World champs in a row. By playoff time interest would be normalized again.

Now Pirates in oot1p19 doing good did increase fan interest from season to season and you could increase tickets, sell out and slowly see your revenue increasing year to year if success continued.

I'm not sure how OOTPXX handles those teams as I've been addicted to Perfect Team after saying I hated it in OOTP19. I'm only in my 2nd season as Detroit. Went 68-94. Market size Average (no change). Fan Loyalty Average (no change) and Fan interest 52. Not sure if it changed but its not bad for being awful.

Wasn't any fun with fan interest never moving that is why I tried Detroit in XX since at least their market size is average and not tiny but were still awful team with bad contracts and poor minors.

Owner did slash budget from 136mil to 116mil this year though for 2020. But Miggy's 32mil contract alone and I still net 10mil with just him. Well I did eat 3mil a year for Miggy but well worth it.I did eat 25mil of Zimmerman contracr which comes off books end of 2020 but I got a couple minor league guys that I later bundled into some nice trades. Much better then cutting him and getting nothing in return.

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 06-12-2019 at 07:07 PM.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #17
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

What's Your General Gameplay Strategy?

To just win, baby.