Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-31-2020, 12:07 AM   #1
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Oakland A's - 2020 and Beyond!

It's time to start a new franchise! As usual, we will be GM only, but we will control certain lineup/pitching choices using individual game strategy (if need be).

My style when playing OOTP has always been to follow a low budget approach, so that is why we are going to take over the original "Moneyball" team, the Oakland Athletics!

I have gone through and updated the 40 man roster to reflect the real Oakland roster. This meant Brian Schlitter had to be DFA'd.

Here is a look at the pitching staff to start the season!
A.J. Puk is on the IL to start the season.
Daniel Mengden is on the 60 Day IL (and he is out of options).

Not a fan of using Mike Fiers as the "follower" (if anyone needs an opener it is probably Frankie Montas (50 stamina). But that is up to Bob Melvin to decide.

Here is a look at the batting lineups to start the season!

The first bit of roster cleanup I want to take care of is the abundance of second base depth we currently have on the 40 man roster.
Three of these second baseman are out of options.

The most expensive is Chad Pinder (just over 2 million). Here is a look at his profile. Internally we certainly have guys who are capable of replacing the soon to be 28 year old.
His personality is "sparkplug" (not shown on screenshot).

Next is Tony Kemp. He will be arbitration eligible for first time next winter.

Then we have Franklin Barreto. His "role expectation" is only "bench player" and he is on a league minimum contract. I think we will hold on the 24 year old for the time being. But he is out of options.

We also have Jorge Mateo in AAA and he is out of options (yet has no MLB service time). His personality is "outspoken" so that makes him an obvious trade chip.

The last of the five is a unique player in his own right. Vimael Machin was taken in the Rule 5 draft last winter from the Cubs after a really good season in AA.
He is already 26 and has zero homer power, but we will hold on to him for the time being.

I think he could serve as a utility infielder in the not so distant future (backup LF in a pinch).
He will need to spend 90 days on MLB roster or be returned to the Cubs.

In my next post we will take a look at some of the players on expiring contracts that we can potentially move out for prospects.

We desperately need to free up some more money for our player development budget, draft budget and scouting budget.

Last edited by WarningTrakPower; 03-31-2020 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Fixed links to pictures
WarningTrakPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Arrow Let's look at the contracts situation

Here is a look at the players who are on expiring contracts.

Liam Hendriks - Owner wants an extension, but it will likely cost too much. Coming off a really strong 2019 and just turned 31.
The plan with Liam is to keep him until the All Star break, then see what we can get for him in a trade.

T.J. McFarland - We might move him before we even get started with the sim just as a salary dump (if we can find a taker).
His career ERA is over 4 and WHIP is about 1.5.
His personality shows he "has very little hustle".

Yusmeiro Petit - Similar to McFarland, we will see what we can get, but if no one will take him we will just hold on to him.
$5.5 million is a lot for a non-closing reliever (albeit one they use a ton).
He was helped out by an absurdly low BABIP against last season (.214 vs career .275), so we can expect some regression.
If he had 40 stamina (or maybe 45), I would be tempted to hold on to him as a possible starter option (in case of emergency), but he only has 30 stamina.

Mike Fiers - Since he ratted out the Astros we have to keep him, right? (Just joking)
Turning 35 soon and making over $8 million makes him an obvious choice to move.
He finds a way to keep the ERA low but gives up a ton of homers (35 movement on 20/80 scale). 1.4 HR/9 career.
Bob Melvin has him as the #5 starter and wants to use an opener for him.
I don't know if we will find a taker for him, but we will try. Might be best to hold on to him to start, hope he does ok and builds up some trade value.

Joakim Soria - Soon to be 36, non-closing reliever making $8.5 million. Need I say more? Haha
What I do like about Soria is he has 4 above average pitches and his K/9 for his career is about 10.
I don't know what his "value" will be on trade market, so it might be another wait and see approach.

Marcus Semien - This one is going to be tough. Personally, I think the 2019 season he had was a bit of an anomaly.
In 2637 MLB plate appearances before 2019, his OPS was .713. His 2018 OPS was .706 and in 2017 it was .722 (in only 85 games).
In 2016 he did hit 27 homers though, so the power might be legit.
He will turn 30 in September, but do we want to sign him to a long term deal if he is due for a decline?
If he can continue to walk more and strikeout less, he might find his way somewhere in the middle (.800 OPS?).
We will have to hold on to him until All Star break, see where we are at, and go from there.
Worst case scenario - we keep him and offer him the qualifying offer.

Robbie Grossman - $3.725 million for backup OF is too much for my liking. He is a good OBP guy (career .351), but we don't have room for him.
Also, he hasn't really played much CF in his MLB career (30 starts) and his defensive ratings are not great (60 range, 50 error & 45 arm).

I like to have my backup OF as a CF who can play LF or RF when someone needs a day off.
It also helps if they have a little speed/stealing for late game pinch running.

Non-Expiring Contracts

Mark Canha - He isn't on an expiring contract, but he is making $4.8 million and only has one arbitration year left (initial estimate is $14 million for 2021).
He posted a .913 OPS in about 500 plate appearance last year and a .778 in 2018.
I think he is more likely to produce closer to 2018 than 2019.
It might be time to sell high on him, if there is anyone interested.

Jake Diekman - Just turned 33, $2.8 million for 2020 and $4 million for 2021 (team option for 2022).
I want to see how much Bob Melvin uses Jake before trading him away.
Too many walks for my liking (career 5 BB/9).

Stephen Piscotty - Just turned 29, $7 million for 2020, $7.25 million for 2021 and $7.25 million for 2022 (team option for 2023).
Coming off a down year his value isn't very high. If he can produce like 2018, he might be worth shopping.

Last edited by WarningTrakPower; 03-31-2020 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Fixed link to picture
Old 03-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Lightbulb Creative approach to free up some cash!!!

I was trying to find someone to take Chad Pinder off our hands and only three teams would offer us "prospects".

Phillies, Mariners (I don't like trading within the division when I don't have to) and the Cubs.

I didn't really like any of the potential return, but then I had a thought. Vimael Machin was a rule 5 pick from the Cubs, if I return him to Chicago would they trade him back to me for Pinder?

Sure enough, they would accept the one for one swap. I tried to find a "sweetener" for the deal, but truthfully they didn't want to give up much unless I added more to the deal.

So I settled on adding a bullpen arm in Wyatt Short. Also, he is ironically very short indeed, being listed at only 5'8".

Last edited by WarningTrakPower; 03-31-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Fixed link to pictures
Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Smile Jorge Mateo for Colin Moran

I really don't like to have "outspoken" players on my teams if I can help it.

Jorge Mateo hasn't had an MLB at bat and was out of options (even though he was already in AAA to start the game).

Pittsburgh was willing to give up Colin Moran plus Brandon Waddell.

Moran is going to be our 2B to start the season and Waddell gives us AAA bullpen/rotation depth to keep some prospects down in more appropriate levels of competition.

Last edited by WarningTrakPower; 03-31-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Fixed link to pictures
Old 03-31-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Thumbs up Tony Kemp to Seattle!

Quote:
I don't like trading within the division when I don't have to
We shopped Tony Kemp and our AL West divisional foes put forth the best offer.

I tried to keep him out of our division, but the second best offer was from the Astros! Haha

The main piece we are getting in return in Justin Dunn. We will add him to the 40 man since that is where he would need to go IRL.

We will also be picking up Penn Murfee. He was a 33rd round pick in 2018 and is sort of a 2 way player. He does not need to be rule 5 protected next winter which is a plus.

Also, we will take a flier on a reliever in Sam Delaplane.

We have to give up Reid Birlingmair to make the deal work.

This finishes the roster cleanup of second baseman, for now. Next we will look for trade options with some expiring contracts.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #6
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Cool Players optioned to MiLB

I have updated the 40 man roster to reflect the real Oakland team (minus players that have been traded away). I have called up each player that I added, then sent back down so they get credit for their option year.

I wasn't 100% sure if they would get credit on being added to 40 man or not, so I figured this would guarantee it.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Yusmero Petit to KC!!!

We really need to offload salary before we get started. We are below the "baseline" on both scouting budget and player development budget.

So I have decided to pull the trigger on this trade with the Royals.

Here is a look at Yusmero Petit. Unfortunately, we are going to pay him $1.1 million to pitch for KC.

They also wanted Lazaro Armenteros. I don't like the look of his player profile one bit. Plus, he had 227 K in only 459 AB last year in high A (49.5%!).

I don't really know what to do with Maikel Franco yet, but he is not costing us much as far as salary goes.

Also, we will be adding another reliever in Tyler Zuber. I don't like pitchers with only two pitches, but so far his stats in minors have been quite decent.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Thumbs up Diekman to Cardinals!

We found someone to take Jake Diekman for a prospect in return.

We just needed to get out from this contract ($2.75 million in 2020 and $4 million in 2021).

We will be putting every penny in to our scouting and development budget (our draft budget will be sufficient, I hope).

So here is the trade to St. Louis.

Here is a look at Diekman's profile.

In return we get (another) reliever in Seth Elledge.
He is not on Cardinals 40 man, so we will put him in either AA or AAA to start the season.

There is a lot to like about Seth. He is going to be turning 24, he still has his three options since he has never been on 40 man, he was a 4th round pick and he has three above average pitches with good movement.

Since we traded away two relievers we will need to bring up two from AAA (or potentially add one or two in a trade).

The next best offer for Diekman was Sterling Sharp from Washington. Should he turn in to something really good, I want to be able to look back on this as a what could have been scenario.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Lightbulb Scouting/Development Budget!

Here is a picture showing how we set up our scouting budget for the season! It also shows our scouts ratings.
We aren't going to put an emphasis on scouting internationals, since we have no money to sign any of them anyways.

What percentages is everyone else using in their franchises?

Here is a picture showing our player development & draft budgets.
It also shows our prospect strength / weaknesses.
Our ranking of 5th will certainly drop once Luzardo, Puk and Murphy are no longer "prospects".

Our two best (non-MLB) prospects are both SS.
I am interested in seeing what Sheldon Neuse can do, we might bring him up to play some 2B sooner than later.

We will also be keeping a close eye on Nick Allen. He might have to be our SS next year if we can't keep Marcus Semien.
I am forcing Allen to play in AA until he earns a AAA promotion (he has yet to play in AA anyways).

This only leaves us around 750k for free agents. I am going to see if anyone goes on waivers worth making a claim on.

We still need to bring up two more relievers to start the season.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Cool May 1st Update!

Here is the current MLB standings with leaderboards!

Here is a look at how our pitchers have done in the first 33 games.
We have sent Daniel Gossett to AAA and called up Wyatt Short.

We recently lost Chris Bassitt for the season.

Here is how our batters have done so far.
Colin Moran's role expectation has changed to "bench player", so we aren't forcing him to 2B anymore.

Marcus Semien has started to get hot with the bat.

One last note before we continue forward. Brandon Waddell threw a no hitter in AA on April 18th.
He walked 5 and it took him 125 pitches. Also, he is now on the MiLB IL with a strained back.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #11
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Smile Team Update at Draft Time!

Here is a look at the standings and leaderboards at draft time!

Surprised to see how well Toronto and KC are doing!

Here is how our pitching staff has done so far.

No one wants Mike Fiers, so we might have to move Frankie Montas to make room for some of our younger pitchers.

We called up Daulton Jefferies in April and he hasn't gone back down, but now he is pitching out of the bullpen.

A.J. Puk hasn't been as bad as it looks. The numbers are inflated by two really rough outings.

Here is how our hitters have done so far.

Khris Davis has been really struggling in his year leading up to free agency.

How has Maikel Franco only got 13 plate appearances in 63 games? Haha! Might be time to just DFA him and bring someone else up.

Joakim Soria is just about back from a shoulder injury.

Marcus Semien is out for another 3-4 weeks with a back problem.

Two AAA players who we are going to call up, but we need to make some roster decisions before that are ...

James Kaprielian might get a look in the bullpen.

Dustin Fowler has put up strong numbers at AAA and could serve as our backup outfielder.
Hopefully someone will take Robbie Grossman off our hands to free up a roster spot.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #12
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Lightbulb 2020 Draft Time!

So... turns out that by changing the "Amateur Draft Pool Reveal Date" to "200 days prior to draft" was a bad idea. Since 200 days prior would be sometime in December I believe, the draft pool never got "revealed".

So our scout never had a chance to scout any of the prospects in the 2020 MLB draft, not even once. Resulting in every prospect being "very low" or "low" accuracy.

Anyways, we did the best we could with the information available to us.
Keep in mind, we were only able to put aside $6 million for the draft budget.

Here is the first of four players we are going to highlight.

26th overall we chose a (soon to be) 21 year old right handed starter named Cole Wilcox. He played college baseball at a powerful program in Georgia (his teammate Emerson Hancock went #2 overall).

We almost went a different route with this pick because his bonus demand is over $1 million above slot value, but at the end of the day, this was the best player available in my opinion.

Our second rounder was a high school pitcher in Jared Jones.

In the third round we chose a college outfielder in Jesse Franklin.

Our fourth rounder was a high school outfielder in Nick Griffin.

Here is a look at their bonus demands vs their slot value.

We didn't have any room in the budget to pay our 5th round pick, so we chose Gavin Casas (his brother went 26th overall in 2018).
Gavin will go off to FSU and reenter the draft in a few years.

Also, we didn't chose a single player from rounds 6 to 40 who wanted a signing bonus (since we didn't have the money to do so).
Old 04-07-2020, 11:51 PM   #13
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Smile July 2020 Update!

Here are the standings on July 2nd!

Here is how our pitching staff has done so far.

Still trying to find someone to take Mike Fiers off our hands (and Joakim Soria too I guess).

Here is how our batters have done so far.

Look at how bad Khris Davis has been this season.

Marcus Semien just started his rehab assignment.

We lost Stephen Piscotty for a few weeks with a fractured foot.

Some good news though, we signed Liam Hendriks to a two year contract extension for $20 million. We have a team option for a third year at $10 million or a $1 million buyout.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #14
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

July 2nd, 2020 - Roster Shake-Up!

We have decided to make a couple trades to offload some contracts.

Here is the first trade we are making with the Mets.
They are retaining 100% of both Justin Wilson and Seth Lugo.

Here is Mike Fiers. Using an opener for him was the right decision.

Here is Robbie Grossman. Just too much money to be spent on someone on the bench. We will now need to make a AAA callup for a 4th OF (see updated at the bottom).

Here is Collin Theroux. His .442 BABIP in AA has inflated his numbers to give him some trade value.

Here is Justin Wilson. Not having a good year. Lefty relievers are less common. Hopefully he can have a good second half.

Here is Seth Lugo. Having a good year, but the strikeouts are down. Two more arbitration years left, if we decide to go down that route (less likely).

Since we added two bullpen arms, it was time to find a new home for T.J. McFarland. Here is the trade we are making with Boston.

Here is T.J. McFarland.

Here is Durbin Fetlman. He doesn't need rule 5 draft protection this winter.

I am on the fence about what to do with Mark Canha. His current arbitration "projection" for 2021 is over $10 million.

I think he should have decent trade value. Maybe we can find a younger (and cheaper) batter who can give us similar production.

Update

Luis Barrera will be getting the callup from AAA to be the fourth outfielder!

Last edited by WarningTrakPower; 04-08-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added callup information
Old 04-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Cool Making more moves on July 2nd!!!

Huge trade with the Red Sox!!!

Here is Mark Canha's profile page.

The big piece we add is Andrew Benintendi!!! They're going to retain 60%, which means we have him for 2021 at only $2.64 million!

We are also able to pick up another starter in Collin McHugh!

We were able to dump two guys off our 40 man we had no use for in Burch Smith and Colin Moran. The other two "prospects" didn't look to amount to much.

Also, since we added a starter I wanted to get rid of Frankie Montas, so here is the trade we are making with Tampa!

Here is Frankie Montas' profile page. We don't need "unmotivated" players on our team.

We are able to pick up the #58 prospect in Brent Honeywell Jr.! He is "outspoken", but hasn't had his service time start yet (even though he only has one option year left).

We are also adding a 3B/1B in Kevin Padlo.

We can now go forward towards the deadline and see if we feel the need to pull the trigger on any more deals!

Let me know what you think of the moves we have made so far!
Old 04-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #16
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Talking July 31 Team Update!

Here are the standings/leaderboards at the trade deadline! We have the second best record in the MLB (behind LAD)!

Here is how our pitching staff has done so far! A.J. Puk has not allowed more than 2 earned runs in his last 6 starts.

Jesus Luzardo is having a tremendous rookie season!

Collin McHugh just got hurt for two weeks. We expect him back when rosters expand in September.

Here is how our batters have done so far! Khris Davis is finally turning his season around, but it's still ugly looking.

We wanted to add another bat as a backup corner infielder / DH option and this is the trade we made with Toronto. James Vasquez is a total nobody (assistant GM MiLB free agent signing).

Travis Shaw is having a really good year. They are retaining 100%.

T.J. Zeuch was 21st overall in 2016 and still has his 3 option years remaining.

Finally found someone to take Joakim Soria.

Here is his profile.

We get a backup OF in Mikie Mahtook. They are retaining 100%.

And Jose Alvarez. They are retaining 100%.

But we flipped Alvarez for Andrew Chafin. They are retaining 100%.

Here is Chafin's profile.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #17
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Unhappy Sean Manaea - Torn UCL

Well this changes things. Essentially he is now a no doubt non-tender.

Brent Honeywell Jr. will get the callup from AAA to take his spot in the rotation.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #18
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Angry Cole Wilcox - 2020 1st Rounder - Torn UCL

Another one bites the dust. He will miss all of 2021 essentially.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #19
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Cool 2020 AL West Winners!!!

We are off to the 2020 playoffs! In the ALDS we will be facing the Yankees!

Here is a look at the final standings/leaderboards. We finished with the third best record in MLB!!!

Here is how our pitchers did this season. These are our postseason roster pitchers only.

Jesus Luzardo was unbelievable in his rookie season!

Unfortunately, Justin Wilson hurt his finger late September and is done for the season. He was not good with the Mets, but was excellent with us.

Here is how our batters did this season. These are our postseason roster batters only. Marcus Semien is our only regular batter with OPS+ below 100.

Travis Shaw is going to DH vs righty and Mikie Mahtook vs lefty. Yanks have Cole, Paxton, Jonathan Loaisiga (RHP) and Happ as their 4 starters (as of now with Tanaka in the bullpen).

Andrew Benintendi has a sprained knee (4 days left in his recovery). He was phenomenal for us since we acquired him in a trade.

Here is how he did with us compared to Boston.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #20
WarningTrakPower
All Star Reserve

Smile 2020 Playoffs Recap!!

What an ALDS it was vs the Yankees! We ended up winning game 5 on a walkoff 3 run homer!
Happy for Franklin Barreto, he had a good season for us.

Check out the gamelog from the bottom of the 9th in game 5.

I'm not a fan of Gary Sanchez IRL, so for him to have a "catchers interference" with 2 outs in the bottom of 9th, it makes me quite happy!

In the ALCS we were facing the Twins, but came out on the losing end of things in game 7.
That bottom of the 7th ended up costing us big time.

So... the 2020 World Series champions are ... the Los Angeles Dodgers!

I am excited to get started with our first offseason and see what 2021 has in store for Oakland!