Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
tellitB
Minors (Single A)

Can I sign someone from the other leagues?

I am starting a new game and I selected every league available to join me on the journey. Can I sign players from any of those leagues?
tellitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Look at League Settings under Financials. For some leagues posting is enabled (***, for example), which means that Japanese teams may allow MLB teams to offer contracts to selected players. Posted players can be signed in the same way as free agents, but the signing team must also pay a posting fee ($20,000,000 for ***, so only the Otanis of the world are likely to be signed).

Some other leagues (the independent Frontier League, for example) will sell players to any team that offers a fixed price ($250,000 for the Frontier League).

Aside from that, the only way to acquire players from other leagues is to wait until they become free agents and then sign them.

One feature that the game lacks is defections by Cuban players. It would be nice if it could be added (or at least simulated by making it possible to "purchase" Cubans for some fairly high price, reflecting the expense of escaping the country), along with an option to implement the aborted agreement that would have established a system similar to posting. One can, of course, liberate Cuba in the game, which is what I usually do.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
ruffyen
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
Look at League Settings under Financials. For some leagues posting is enabled (***, for example), which means that Japanese teams may allow MLB teams to offer contracts to selected players. Posted players can be signed in the same way as free agents, but the signing team must also pay a posting fee ($20,000,000 for ***, so only the Otanis of the world are likely to be signed).

Some other leagues (the independent Frontier League, for example) will sell players to any team that offers a fixed price ($250,000 for the Frontier League).

Aside from that, the only way to acquire players from other leagues is to wait until they become free agents and then sign them.

One feature that the game lacks is defections by Cuban players. It would be nice if it could be added (or at least simulated by making it possible to "purchase" Cubans for some fairly high price, reflecting the expense of escaping the country), along with an option to implement the aborted agreement that would have established a system similar to posting. One can, of course, liberate Cuba in the game, which is what I usually do.
Are those the only two leagues that have it, or would i have to go through the financials of each team?
ruffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellitB View Post
I am starting a new game and I selected every league available to join me on the journey. Can I sign players from any of those leagues?

depending on the settings you set you can do whatever you want. It's your world.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 AM   #5
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffyen View Post
Are those the only two leagues that have it, or would i have to go through the financials of each team?
*** (Japan) and KBO (Korea) have posting enabled. The posting fee is $20,000,000 for *** and $25,000,000 for KBO.

Players can be purchased from the Mexican League (LMB) and all of the independent leagues. The price in all cases is $250,000.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:

For Cuba turn off reserve era clause it will enable free agency. Set free agency to 6 years. Then they will naturally become free agents. You can even turn posting on if you want. But leagues very rarely post so it's almost pointless.

MLB and Cuba in December did sign a new agreement which eliminated defecting and made them MLB eligible with certain conditions not much different then Korea.

However like 2 weeks ago the white house said it violated the Cuba embargo. So I think MLB is trying to appeal it.

But I like the deal so I stick with it. There is no white house in my universe. lol
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:16 AM   #7
tellitB
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
*** (Japan) and KBO (Korea) have posting enabled. The posting fee is $20,000,000 for *** and $25,000,000 for KBO.

Players can be purchased from the Mexican League (LMB) and all of the independent leagues. The price in all cases is $250,000.
How do I do this?
Old 04-26-2019, 02:06 AM   #8
tellitB
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
For Cuba turn off reserve era clause it will enable free agency. Set free agency to 6 years. Then they will naturally become free agents. You can even turn posting on if you want. But leagues very rarely post so it's almost pointless.

MLB and Cuba in December did sign a new agreement which eliminated defecting and made them MLB eligible with certain conditions not much different then Korea.

However like 2 weeks ago the white house said it violated the Cuba embargo. So I think MLB is trying to appeal it.

But I like the deal so I stick with it. There is no white house in my universe. lol
Haha where are these settings?!?!
Old 04-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellitB View Post
Haha where are these settings?!?!
Game > Game Settings > League Settings > (change the league from MLB to Serie Nacional near the top-right of the screen) > Financials > Uncheck the "Enable Reserve-Clause Era Rules" box on the left-side of the screen.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
TomVeal
All Star Starter

The MLB-Cuba deal would essentially have let the Cuban government exploit its players in about the same way that Mexican League teams did until MLB forced a change of policy earlier this year.

My latest idea for a semi-realistic Cuba is to turn Reserve Era Rules off, require 25 years for free agency and set the player purchase price at $5,000,000 (representing the cost of escaping the Castro paradise). Most Cuban players will still be imprisoned, but a few of the best will have a chance at freedom.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The MLB-Cuba deal would essentially have let the Cuban government exploit its players in about the same way that Mexican League teams did until MLB forced a change of policy earlier this year.

My latest idea for a semi-realistic Cuba is to turn Reserve Era Rules off, require 25 years for free agency and set the player purchase price at $5,000,000 (representing the cost of escaping the Castro paradise). Most Cuban players will still be imprisoned, but a few of the best will have a chance at freedom.
Is that 25 years per player? At what age do they sign their first contract? It seems like nobody would have a 25-year career, but I don't know anything about Cuban baseball.

Edit: Oh, I think I get it. You don't want them to hit free agency at all, but rather have their rights purchased.

Last edited by LegalEagle80; 04-29-2019 at 02:47 PM.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle80 View Post
Is that 25 years per player? At what age do they sign their first contract? It seems like nobody would have a 25-year career, but I don't know anything about Cuban baseball.

Edit: Oh, I think I get it. You don't want them to hit free agency at all, but rather have their rights purchased.
Yes, that's exactly right. Cuba doesn't let players become free agents at all. A 25-year wait is as close as I could come to replicating that.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #13
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
The MLB-Cuba deal would have them free agents after 6 years. With a portion of the signing contract bonus given to the cuba league aka the government which is why the white house got all crazy.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:52 PM   #14
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
The MLB-Cuba deal would have them free agents after 6 years. With a portion of the signing contract bonus given to the cuba league aka the government which is why the white house got all crazy.
MLB similarly "got all crazy" about the Mexican League's comparable hold over its players. MLB was so hostile to that arrangement that it banned LMB players from the majors and minors for several months, until Mexico gave in.

That is, BTW, why the LMB league settings don't include a check in the box, "Allow free agents to leave league" (which should now be updated).