Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
Manfred is bad
Bat Boy

MLB opener vs Japanese opener

Does anyone see the problem with opening the MLB season in Japan?
Why doesn't Japan open their season in the USA?

Answer --Rob Manfred, who is going to ruin baseball
Manfred is bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

1. I also dislike playing games that count in countries that didn't pay $1B to give American franchises a home for free.

2. I also find it moronic to play games that count, then 2 weeks of spring training, then start the season again.

3. MLB played the opening series in Japan long before Manfred became commish.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

This has been going on for 20 years or more. There are many things that can be plausibly blamed on Manfred, but opening the year in Japan isn't one of them.

I counted eight games on the schedule being played outside the US and Canada, and 2422 games played inside the US and Canada.

If you think we're griping about this, wait until two of the sacred Red Sox - Yankee games are played in London later this year.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:22 AM   #4
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I hate Bob Numbfred with all my heart, but it was indeed not quite his fault exactly that the Mets and Cubs played their season opener at the Tokyo Dome... in *2000*.

I *do* agree though that Bob Numbfred is ruining baseball.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #5
Mat
All Star Reserve

Its not ideal and clearly a gimmic but does it really matter? This stuff can be good for the sport. I am sitting here watching MLB in my own timezone for a change. and it is great exposure in Japan.

And with being able to enjoy OOTP20 at this same time.. it is getting me pretty excited for the season ahead.

Last edited by Mat; 03-21-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
neugey
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
1. I also dislike playing games that count in countries that didn't pay $1B to give American franchises a home for free.

2. I also find it moronic to play games that count, then 2 weeks of spring training, then start the season again.

#2 is what bothers me the most. If you go to ESPN or most other web sites the OAK-SEA game is listed right along with the other spring training games. Hella confusing.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Yes, it's ok if the best Japanese players come over here and play in America, but heaven forbid that American players should go over to Japan and play a regular season game.

Never mind that it also allows Ichiro to retire in his home nation, he was just a nobody in the majors anyway.

The shame of it all, holding a regular season game in a foreign country. I wonder what POTUS is thinking? He'll probably have another twitter rant shortly.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-21-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

"We're gonna build a wall... around the outfield of the Tokyo Dome... the greatest wall... 35 feet high... believe me... and the… (weird hand movement) … and the Raccoon Golden Beagles will pay for it...!"

Old 03-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One week of spring training, not two. Also, special roster rules were adopted for 2008 to accommodate those clubs playing such early regular season opening games.

The clubs can travel with 30 players, 28 roster and 2 non-roster. All 30 can be used in exhibition games played overseas. For the two regular season games, 25 of the 28 roster players are designated active for the games and the other 3 are inactive. The same 3 players must be inactive for both games. For subsequent spring training/exhibition games, all 28 players (plus any non-roster players) can be used.

The idea behind this rule is that the clubs playing overseas have some flexibility in their roster decisions over the final week. Rather than have to cut down to their final 25 a week before all the other clubs do, they only have to cut down to 28, and after the early openers they still have 3 players about whom they can decide before cutting down to 25 for the domestic regular season openers.

This may seem restrictive, but 28 players is about what most clubs have on the active roster going into the final week of spring training. The other 12 have already been optioned to the minors. (The first optioning to the minors takes place early in spring training with those young players who are clearly not yet ready for serious consideration for starting positions in the regular season.)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
This has been going on for 20 years or more. There are many things that can be plausibly blamed on Manfred, but opening the year in Japan isn't one of them.
The instances of early opening regular season games scheduled for outside North America: 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012 in Tokyo; 2014 in Australia; 2019 in Tokyo. (The 2004 openers had originally been scheduled for 2003, but security concerns arising out of the start of the Iraq war caused the series to be postponed to the following year.)

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 03-21-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #10
swoboda
All Star Starter

MLB in Tokyo, NFL in London, NBA games in Mexico City. It's all about marketing it's all about money. Oh and I forgot the NHL in Sweden.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
drksd4848
All Star Starter

You know what is the most moronic thing of all?

The MLB season started yesterday, and I only causally found out this morning.

In fact, a lot of people around me didn't even know. And the #1 sports talk show in Boston didn't even mention it.

When I was a kid opening day was like Christmas Day in April.

I think this is the year that Major League Baseball gets punched in the face by reality as to how far it has fallen.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I may short in the opinion column here, but to be perfectly honest, I looked at the A's-M's in Japan as opening "games", NOT opening day! To me, baseball's opening day is in America! I'm not being racist. I am a traditionalist. Would Japan consider it "opening day" if two of their teams came here to play? Somehow, I doubt it. Hopefully, you all dont peg me as being racist, but will see MLB's opening day is here. And I feel the same about any other country. If Japan felt the same way as I just stated, I would fully agree with them.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #13
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Well, it was two West Coast teams that as a matter of fact… don't matter. If the Yankees had played in Tokyo, y'all *would* have heard about it.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
mirrf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Well, it was two West Coast teams that as a matter of fact… don't matter. If the Yankees had played in Tokyo, y'all *would* have heard about it.
QFT

The A's/Mariners played at 2AM Oakland/Seattle time. So, yea. As an A's fan, I didn't watch either game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrf View Post
Time is like a crystal pool in front of a mirror, wrapped in a fortune cookie. It is to be eaten, but the glass shards will burn brightest when coming out the back end.
mirrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Not a fan of the games happening so far before opening day, but that seems the only logical way to do it.

As for teams in the MLB playing outside of the US/Canada, I'm all for it. More exposure, etc.

But, ultimately, what a great send off to Ichiro.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #16
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I may short in the opinion column here, but to be perfectly honest, I looked at the A's-M's in Japan as opening "games", NOT opening day! To me, baseball's opening day is in America! I'm not being racist. I am a traditionalist. Would Japan consider it "opening day" if two of their teams came here to play? Somehow, I doubt it. Hopefully, you all dont peg me as being racist, but will see MLB's opening day is here. And I feel the same about any other country. If Japan felt the same way as I just stated, I would fully agree with them.
I think everyone is still advertising next Thursday as Opening Day. ESPN is, and they carried the games, calling them the Opening Series.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #17
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
MLB in Tokyo, NFL in London, NBA games in Mexico City. It's all about marketing it's all about money. Oh and I forgot the NHL in Sweden.
If it's all about marketing, how come Arsenal & Man U aren't interested in marketing their product with games that count in the USA? Maybe the Tour de France can run a leg in French Quarter of New Orleans.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #18
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I may short in the opinion column here, but to be perfectly honest, I looked at the A's-M's in Japan as opening "games", NOT opening day! To me, baseball's opening day is in America!
And that is effectively how it is treated by MLB. The big hoopla for opening day will happen next Thursday. The early overseas games are a special event for the two teams involved.

Quote:
If it's all about marketing, how come Arsenal & Man U aren't interested in marketing their product with games that count in the USA?
The answer to that question should be self-evident.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #19
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Just wait until next year, when they'll probably force the Cardinals and Cubs to play each other somewhere on the other side of the world.
Not going to be a happy camper.

If you're going to leave the hemisphere to play games, make them exhibitions or All-Star tours, those fans are not going to know the difference and will show up anyway.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 PM   #20
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
Just wait until next year, when they'll probably force the Cardinals and Cubs to play each other somewhere on the other side of the world.
Unlikely. These things are arranged well in advance, as obviously there are a lot of logistical considerations involved. Here are the teams which have participated in the overseas early openers:

2000, Tokyo: Chicago Cubs, New York Mets
2004, Tokyo: New York Yankees, Tampa Bay Rays
2008, Tokyo: Boston Red Sox, Oakland Athletics
2012, Tokyo: Seattle Mariners, Oakland Athletics
2014, Australia: Los Angeles Dodgers, Arizona Diamondbacks
2019, Tokyo: Seattle Mariners, Oakland Athletics