Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #81
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

@David Watts: Here's the Lou Whitaker HoF stuff I promised you via PM the other day:
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #82
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
@David Watts: Here's the Lou Whitaker HoF stuff I promised you via PM the other day:
Darn close to real life. Love it.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #83
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Darn close to real life. Love it.
Slightly better even...And it just goes to show how much of a popularity contest All-Star games and other awards are: IRL: ROY (1978), 5 ASG, 3 GG, 4 SS, 1 championship ring. My World: 14 ASG, 1 GG, 10 SS, 4 championship rings, 1 ALCS MVP, 1 World Series MVP. I still say the RL guy deserves to go in regardless of the lack of popularity contests won during his career. He was fantastic.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #84
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Action, when you get a chance, can you post your save leaders? Do you have a lot of guys that lock into the closer role for several years, or are you seeing guys close a couple years and then settle into other relief roles? Just curious?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #85
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Action, when you get a chance, can you post your save leaders? Do you have a lot of guys that lock into the closer role for several years, or are you seeing guys close a couple years and then settle into other relief roles? Just curious?
Here they are. I would guess they move around a bit in their roles depending on who their teammates are. I've seen some uber-bullpens in this game over the years. Buck J Freeman got 255 Saves and then became a position player and won the hitting triple crown in 1948, which is one of the reasons I fiercely check my incoming draftees and try to get rid of two way players that weren't really two way players (Freeman pitched a little bit in two different seasons in his RL 11 year career, but wound up pitching for eight seasons in my game and then moved to become a position player in 1947 - he wasn't really a pitching stud IRL [more late 19th century/early 20th century slugger], but he sure was in my game), and replace them with their Spritze counterparts (if they're any better in this regard - one of the bugaboos of Neutralized Stats as we've discussed before):
Attached Images

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-23-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #86
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here they are. I would guess they move around a bit in their roles depending on who their teammates are. I've seen some uber-bullpens in this game over the years. Buck J Freeman got 255 Saves and then became a position player and won the hitting triple crown in 1948, which is one of the reasons I fiercely check my incoming draftees and try to get rid of two way players that weren't really two way players (Freeman pitched a little bit in two different seasons in his RL 11 year career, but wound up pitching for eight seasons in my game and then moved to become a position player in 1947 - he wasn't really a pitching stud IRL [more late 19th century/early 20th century slugger], but he sure was in my game), and replace them with their Spritze counterparts (if they're any better in this regard - one of the bugaboos of Neutralized Stats as we've discussed before):
One of the things I love about random debut is seeing how the AI decides to use pitchers.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #87
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thank you

The problem was with an unchecked box "import historical rookies". 1905 draft looks to be back in order, again thank you. I started this league to test both it and my skills (which are lacking but improving) and have had a great time with the league. Was first thinking that I wanted to see what happens when minor leagues come around in 1920 while waiting for updates and the public release. But now I have had another idea, start again in 1901 but use the Spritze database after running my present league for awhile longer to pickup on some other pitfalls (mostly of my making).
Have either of you tried anything like this in the past?
I am using neutralize stats but advancing year by year for the modifiers, financial, and salaries. I just read that you have to reinstall the Spritze database after every update which I didn't know; any advice or suggestions on this league?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #88
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
The problem was with an unchecked box "import historical rookies". 1905 draft looks to be back in order, again thank you. I started this league to test both it and my skills (which are lacking but improving) and have had a great time with the league. Was first thinking that I wanted to see what happens when minor leagues come around in 1920 while waiting for updates and the public release. But now I have had another idea, start again in 1901 but use the Spritze database after running my present league for awhile longer to pickup on some other pitfalls (mostly of my making).
I am using neutralize stats but advancing year by year for the modifiers, financial, and salaries. I just read that you have to reinstall the Spritze database after every update which I didn't know; any advice or suggestions on this league?
I'm not computer savvy, so if something doesn't come with the game or as part of an add on that easily installs, I am useless. There's no way I would know how to install and use Spritze's database. AJ may be able to help though. Wish I could help.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #89
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Hope neither of you mind me asking questions and for help in this thread.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #90
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hope neither of you mind me asking questions and for help in this thread.
Not at all. I really hope you end up loving random debut.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #91
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure (not much experience with OOTP17, no experience with OOTP18), but I don't think you can use the full minor league setup with random debut historicals. Also, Spritze has said that once he puts to bed all the issues with the historical database and historical minor league database (which includes all the rest of the guys that didn't play MLB along with [I think] players that did who debut earlier than they would from the major league database, which is always when they made their RL debuts minus a year or two give or take), he will start work on a Spritze db that will be compatible with OOTP18, which will solve the needing to import players from the minor league database issue that many are struggling with now. That could be quite a ways away though depending on how many issues there are with the default databases. I believe the Spritze db that is out right now is compatible with OOTP17, but not OOTP18. You can get the OOTP17 one by following the link here.

For my now 52 year old random debut league, I have used Neutralized Stats, and tied the LTMs and Strategy Settings to 1984. With financials, I advance year by year as they happened (though I find I have to do it manually on the first day of the offseason for some reason), and I allow MLB to expand (and teams to move) as it did IRL. I have my league always play a 162 game schedule with a custom made schedule that seems to change every year, which is pretty cool. You don't have to re-install Spritze's database every time if you extract the folder into the "stats" folder inside your OOTP Baseball 17 (or *fingers crossed*) eventually your OOTP Baseball 18 folder when the new one comes out. What happens when a new patch comes out is that every file in the stats folder gets overwritten, but if you've got your SpritzeHSforOOTP18 (when it arrives) folder inside the stats folder, nothing inside it gets touched. Then, if you want to use it as your default database, make sure you direct the game to it in your "Database Path" on the Game Settings > League Settings > Historical > Historical Rookies Settings page. Once Spritze gets that amazing database out, you'll be able to set it up as your default database whereas right now, you have to import Negro Leaguers, minor leaguers, NPBers, KBOers etc etc etc from the minor league database, which is a royal PITA for those that want to batch import multiple players.

In my OOTP16 game (the 52 year old one), I've imported 2 non-MLB players from the Spritze db that goes with OOTP16 into every draft, so I don't have to deal with batch import issues because I'm not really batch importing. I can appreciate the frustration of those who bought OOTP18 expecting to be able to play with players from the minor league database in their random debut or customized historical games, only to find out that you have to import those players from the minor league database though. I think we'll get it sorted out reasonably soon enough though. My drafts are only five rounds long, so it takes my draft pool from 80 (16 teams * 5 round draft) to 82 players, and I don't need any more players than that every year to keep the league churning along.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-23-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #92
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not at all. I really hope you end up loving random debut.
I echo this heartily. This is a discussion thread that talks about the niche area of OOTP (which in itself is a niche game) that is random debut historicals. There are not many of us around, but it's an awesome way to play this awesome game (at least I think so).
Old 03-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #93
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Smile

From what I understand the current Spritze database will work with 18, I have the beta version. I was thinking after a little more work with my current sim I will start afresh with the Spritze database that will give me at least 4000 Negro League players plus Asian players. Start again in 1901 and away we go for 125+ years before I run into fictional players. This is the first time I am just observing and not involved as a GM which I didn't think I would enjoy, but surprise, surprise I really like this mode in a league. Hopefully I can make this work and stay with it....
Old 03-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #94
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From what I understand the current Spritze database will work with 18, I have the beta version. I was thinking after a little more work with my current sim I will start afresh with the Spritze database that will give me at least 4000 Negro League players plus Asian players. Start again in 1901 and away we go for 125+ years before I run into fictional players. This is the first time I am just observing and not involved as a GM which I didn't think I would enjoy, but surprise, surprise I really like this mode in a league. Hopefully I can make this work and stay with it....
I would pm Spritze and ask him whether his database will work with 18 and if it will work with Random Debut.

Wow! Not only do we maybe have a new random debut guy in JaBurns, but also a watcher as well. I don't manage or gm either and I know AJ is an observer as well. Cool
Old 03-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #95
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
33,014 players in that database from David Aardsma to Tony Zych and everything in between. Yeah, I just saw Spritze's post the Negro Leagues thread, which is very good news for those that want to set up the Spritze database to be their main database.

What I like about playing as an observer is that you can chew up the years reasonably fast when you're not fretting over the minutiae of running your own team. Of course, I fret over all of the manual All-Star selections, manual end of season awards, HoF voting, who comes in through the draft etc etc etc, but it's nowhere near as slow as running my own team.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #96
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would pm Spritze and ask him whether his database will work with 18 and if it will work with Random Debut.

Wow! Not only do we maybe have a new random debut guy in JaBurns, but also a watcher as well. I don't manage or gm either and I know AJ is an observer as well. Cool
See this post here dude. From the legend himself, and he's bringing one out for OOTP18 when all the crap from this one has died down a bit. That's a good point about random debuts though. I've never used it as my main database (only to import players), so I'm unsure as to whether or not it works in a randomized fashion, but it would be relatively simple to test it and find out I'm sure. If it doesn't work, you're back to square one. Nothing lost, nothing gained.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #97
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What a disappointment Fry Pan has turned out to be. Hurt to start 87 as well. Ugh! Name:  fun_ride_1987-09-16_17-59-18.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  342.7 KB
Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #98
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:

I think you guys have a convert. I was surprised but I really just like looking at reports and wondering "what if"...
Old 03-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #99
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
See this post here dude. From the legend himself, and he's bringing one out for OOTP18 when all the crap from this one has died down a bit. That's a good point about random debuts though. I've never used it as my main database (only to import players), so I'm unsure as to whether or not it works in a randomized fashion, but it would be relatively simple to test it and find out I'm sure. If it doesn't work, you're back to square one. Nothing lost, nothing gained.
Agreed I am simming a year a day in about 3-4 hours not worrying about my team. Saw the post and will definitely try it out and then bring in the legend's new database will he graces us mere mortals with this new tool.

Last edited by JaBurns; 03-23-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #100
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What a disappointment Fry Pan has turned out to be. Hurt to start 87 as well. Ugh! Attachment 497372
Ooph! Re-calc on? He was still mowing 'em down into his mid-40's IRL.