Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 22 > OOTP 22 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 22 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2021 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:29 AM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

? about two-way players in minors

If you have a two-way player in your minor-league system and their development rating is heavily skewed to them improving faster in just one facet, pitching for example, is it better just to abandon them as a position player?
IE, they're pitching skills develop quicker if they're no longer playing in the field.
Or doesn't it matter.
Here is one such player who is in AA for my St. Louis River Walkers.
Attached Images
Image Image 
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:32 AM   #2
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

I’d abandon but I really wish you could turn it off individually without locking them to their current minor league level. Unless I’m missing something, I’m surprised this hasn’t been fixed yet.
TheBrewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
Scottiedog43
Major Leagues

I’ve played around with it a little bit
My best guess on how to do it is

once they hit high A ball or around 21 years old (whatever comes first)
I abandon one aspect of their game and let them concentrate on just being a pitcher or position player

Seems to workish for me
Old 07-16-2021, 01:30 AM   #4
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Unfortunately he doesn't look like much of a batter or pitcher. Maybe would work as a back rotation starter in the NL, giving ~50 decent plate appearances. How much value would that add? Would have to crunch the numbers.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:52 AM   #5
KBLover
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
If you have a two-way player in your minor-league system and their development rating is heavily skewed to them improving faster in just one facet, pitching for example, is it better just to abandon them as a position player?
IE, they're pitching skills develop quicker if they're no longer playing in the field.
Or doesn't it matter.
Here is one such player who is in AA for my St. Louis River Walkers.
I can't answer definitively if it matters or not. Usually, the player himself will trend towards one or the other and if that continues to where he's clearly better, I'll just pick the better side.

In a younger player or one still working in the low minors, I'll just leave it until that leaning becomes very striking. I expect variability in younger players and when changing levels due to challenge, new coaches working with him, etc.

Once he's at AA, I'll be quicker on picking a side. If I pick pitcher and he has a good bat for a pitcher (like your player), I'll put on don't pinch hit for him option while he's still in the minors. That way, he can get a full batch of ABs (assuming he doesn't get killed on the mound) while still primarily pitching.

For the case of your player, I don't think he's really leaning too much until and if he raises his control. Right now, he looks like a reliever/5th starter and 4th outfielder, and for that, two-way should be fine, especially in the minors.

Now if he hits a spurt and grows on the pitching side at the higher levels, I'd switch him to all pitching. He's one breakthrough away from being a solid pitcher. If it happens, I'd readily embrace it, given his hitting profile. He seems like a late-bloomer so who knows.

Last edited by KBLover; 07-16-2021 at 01:54 AM.
KBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #6
JerseyPirate
Minors (Double A)

You can turn off 2 way players by clicking on "Set Game Strategy" from the player's drop down action in the upper right, then scroll down on the bottom right hand side of the screen and unclick "use as 2 way player". Then change his position if it's not currently on what you want him to be.
JerseyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote