Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
fiskadora54
Bat Boy

team building strategy

I saw something in another thread about building your team up to higher levels. I can't find the thread again but I recall someone saying that iincremental building is not the best strategy.
I am fairly new to the game and look forward to PT 21. I am curious what others think about how to build teams over time. Should you improve positions incrementally, lower first, or stick with the cards you're dealt for a while, build up PP's, and improve more dramatically with diamond or perfect cards as you can afford them?

Thanks,
fiskadora54
fiskadora54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
KyleM
Minors (Single A)

Team Building Strategy

I have found that the incremental improvements only cost valuable PP's. Of course, just my opinion. But I think the best way is to stockpile the PP's, and make big strikes. I was well on my way after I opened a regular pack, got a perfect Pedro Martinez, sold him on the AH, bought several great players, then spent 27K PP's on more packs, and...got another perfect Pedro, and a 99 Ruth.. from there, it was easy to win at the lower levels, enabling me to build a massive stockpile of PP's, which I used to round out my team. Anyway..this is what worked for me. best of luck.

KyleM
yanksfan4ever2016
Manager/Owner Danbury Hatters
KyleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Orion
Major Leagues

Getting super lucky is not a strategy

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
KyleM
Minors (Single A)

Super lucky?? Who ruined your day?? I never used that term. I answered that I did not make incremental improvements, and that I believed that stockpiling PP's to make dramatic improvements. Oh hell...obviously you can read what I wrote if you chose to. Clear you didn't. Why?? Because I show up as a "bat boy"?? But I have been a daily OOTP user since 2016 While I used to post daily here under my original user name, I simply haven't done much since posting here since I activated OOTP 20 last March...but that doesn't mean I don't know how to use it, or what I am doing.
Don't be so damned surly!

KyleM
Old 02-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
chazzycat
All Star Starter

The main problem IMO with making incremental upgrades is that collections are so strong. You generally want to keep some PP in the bank to take advantage of good collection bargains that come up on the AH, not put all your PP right onto your roster immediately.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

He's not talking about getting super lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
He's correct. If you have an iron [ayer at a position, it's a waste of time and resources to get a bronze/silver. A lot of the time, I hoard my points (I'm FTP)
until I can afford a diamond player. At least then, I know I won't be replacing him in a 2 weeks.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Hoarding points to make a more significant upgrade is worth consideration as a strategy.

But that is very different from hoarding points to buy packs and hoping to pull a Pedro.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #8
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Assuming there isnt a major overhaul in structure or achievements, stay at iron for a long time with the worst pitching staff you can put out there while upgrading hitters. Ignore defense, bats earn PP.

If you are super lucky then open packs and pull perfect pedros, if not then you are just wasting points.

Dont sell historical cards that arent part of a mission, their value will go up. Buy live cards that are on track to move up a level.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #9
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
Super lucky?? Who ruined your day?? I never used that term. I answered that I did not make incremental improvements, and that I believed that stockpiling PP's to make dramatic improvements. Oh hell...obviously you can read what I wrote if you chose to. Clear you didn't. Why?? Because I show up as a "bat boy"?? But I have been a daily OOTP user since 2016 While I used to post daily here under my original user name, I simply haven't done much since posting here since I activated OOTP 20 last March...but that doesn't mean I don't know how to use it, or what I am doing.

KyleM
Don’t get your knickers in a twist. He didn’t mean anything personal
Thundercrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #10
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post

KyleM

So you are trying to say getting 2 perfect Pedros and a Babe in 28 packs opened is not super lucky?! I've opened hundreds of packs without ever getting a card worth more than 16k, let alone a Perfect anything. I've literally gotten 4 Luis Severinos out of the 7 Diamonds I've seen. Yeah bro, you were super lucky, no one can expect getting that kind of return from packs on a regular basis.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #11
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
The main problem IMO with making incremental upgrades is that collections are so strong. You generally want to keep some PP in the bank to take advantage of good collection bargains that come up on the AH, not put all your PP right onto your roster immediately.

Collections are especially strong for new teams as well: you can use the players aquired/locked in during the collection process to build the foundation of a winning team that can get you more extra points plus the rewards from completion. I still use quite a few of my collection players on a championship caliber team, such as Shoeless Joe (97), Frank Baker (97) Eddie Collins (91) Rollie Fingers (94) and so on. Guys you don't need can be sold to fuel future collection investments. Add to that the ability to land guys like Rube Waddell a as team centerpiece and collecting is hard to beat. Even better, you don't need to get lucky, just be paitent and invest some time. As you start to build a good team, the rewards are not quite as great, since the collected players become less and less likely to contribute, but as Chazzy said, staying liquid to snare bargains on the AH is a great plan, even if you are just buying low and selling high.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #12
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:

This is standard operation prodedure of answering on OOTP forum boards. Anything to tear somebody down
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #13
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
This is standard operation prodedure of answering on OOTP forum boards. Anything to tear somebody down

Hmm so you would describe getting 2 of the best Perfects in the game by opening 27 packs a common occurance? My point is this strategy is not repeatable, its a one in a million shot. I'm not trying to criticize him personally, only making clear, I could buy 10,000 packs and (easily) not get 2 perfect pedros?

Old 02-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #14
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Since when is factually stating that a person was extremely lucky to pull the cards they say they did an insult?

The thread is about giving advice to a new player who may not be aware of what the odds are of such pulls. If he reads just that post and tries to replicate it then he is just going to lose all his PP the vast majority of the time.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #15
KyleM
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Hoarding points to make a more significant upgrade is worth consideration as a strategy.

But that is very different from hoarding points to buy packs and hoping to pull a Pedro.
Never said I was pulling packs and hoping for a Pedro. Damn...does anyone even bother reading these things before they reply to/about them? What I said I did was stockpile PP's to make dramatic improvements. Did I get lucky with a single card? Sure did, but I suspect many here got lucky with a card or two, whether it was a perfect Pedro, or a simple gold that netted more PP's.

This is why I stopped frequenting these boards four years ago.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
Morgans Magic
Minors (Single A)

yeah, we've been all talking about how bummed out we were to have missed out on all your incisive commentary and over-the-top grievance the past four years. Great waste.
Morgans Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #17
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskadora54 View Post
I saw something in another thread about building your team up to higher levels. I can't find the thread again but I recall someone saying that iincremental building is not the best strategy.
I am fairly new to the game and look forward to PT 21. I am curious what others think about how to build teams over time. Should you improve positions incrementally, lower first, or stick with the cards you're dealt for a while, build up PP's, and improve more dramatically with diamond or perfect cards as you can afford them?

Thanks,
fiskadora54
I guess it depends on what you intend to do. I have a team based on pitching and OBP (mainly through walks) that regularly lead their division in Perfect League but doesn't generate a lot of points (ex.: only 2,300 so far this week) and get destroyed every week in the playoffs. I have fun with it so I don't mind, but it's hard to make any significant change to the roster without the points (I'm still starting guys like Tony Phillips and 81 John Kruk).

The only way I could make it competitive in the first place was through collections - collecting and then reselling valuable cards so that I could buy my "type" of player. If I hadn't done that I wouldn't be playing at the Perfect Level.
Sipimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #18
KyleM
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
So you are trying to say getting 2 perfect Pedros and a Babe in 28 packs opened is not super lucky?! I've opened hundreds of packs without ever getting a card worth more than 16k, let alone a Perfect anything. I've literally gotten 4 Luis Severinos out of the 7 Diamonds I've seen. Yeah bro, you were super lucky, no one can expect getting that kind of return from packs on a regular basis.

Well...that sounds like a personal problem and a complaint you want to take up with the developers and programmers. But it is FAR from what I said. maybe you read my post?? If so..then comprehension is the exact problem...either way....you just don't get it. But it's your problem...not mine!

KyleM
Old 02-13-2020, 01:21 AM   #19
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Personal disputes aside and getting back to the original topic. Is incremental improvement a smart strategy? I would say it is the most enjoyable, if not strictly speaking "best". Tanking is not fun. Buying packs is a no-no, but my plan for PT21 is to invest my initial points in building a tournament team that can WIN packs and cards. Spending $100 on packs will get you 175 packs and maybe a nice pull. But, spending $100 on a winning tournament squad can earn you 25-30 packs a week for the life of the game, providing you can keep grinding tournaments all day long. Additionally, PP should be spent completing collections that are either profitable or provide a perfect-ready player. Easy examples of this are Norm Cash, Brecheen, Kershaw, Bumgarner, Suzuki (90), or that can be completed at a profit, like Chad Green. There are a few collections that can be completed by collecting cards that earn packs, but don't spend 500 to get a player that earns you a pack! A regular pack is only guaranteed to be worth 50 points, so try not to spend more than that! For example, you should be able to complete live Baltimore for less than 1000 points and that earns you a gold pack which costs 5000, but is guaranteed to be worth (worst case) 1025 points if you get a live gold and 5 live irons. The game last two years, so if you can be patient and grind tournaments, collections and AH flipping, you can build a decent team with incremental improvement.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:09 AM   #20
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Additionally, PP should be spent completing collections that are either profitable or provide a perfect-ready player. Easy examples of this are Norm Cash, Brecheen, Kershaw, Bumgarner, Suzuki (90), or that can be completed at a profit, like Chad Green.

Note: the 'good' collections list will almost surely change for the next version. Assuming the developers cannot resist tinkering.

I never did (never will) finish the XX CWS, for example, it will forever remain two impossible, speculator-locked bottlenecks away. I simply arrived at that table too late in the release.

But with a new season and new prices, even altered availability of certain bottlenecks, one minor change to the pieces listed for a collection could radically alter everything.

Last edited by Lemandria; 02-13-2020 at 04:11 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote