Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
buckeye96
Bat Boy

Free Agent Signing

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm struggling to retain guys because of ridiculous expectations.

I'll give a couple of examples. I'm playing as the Washington Nationals, we've won a few WS years in the last 10 years and I had Juan Soto signed to a 10 year deal of $25 million with an opt out in his last year (at age 29). He opted opted out and now wants a 10 year deal for $55 million a year. I countered and offered him a 7 year deal worth $41 million a year, which he countered back with a 8 year deal worth $60 million a year. I know what will happen, he will end up signing with another team for around $30-35 million.

It happened to me with Rendon and Vlad Guerrero JR. They all signed somewhere else for the same years for significantly less money than what I offered them. AND they never come back to the negotiating table, they always sign with the other team as a surprise.

Is there anyway to fix this? Or am I doing something wrong?
buckeye96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

This happens all the time. I just see it as a case of a guy not wanting to play for the team anymore and wanting to see what they can get on the free agent market.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

This has been frustrating for past few years. It sucks to see what they request, hit the open market and then sign for nothing close to it.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
buckeye96
Bat Boy

So what is a good recourse? I want to keep the game fair, but I also don't want to lose out on players when I could have signed them for what they really wanted.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye96 View Post
So what is a good recourse? I want to keep the game fair, but I also don't want to lose out on players when I could have signed them for what they really wanted.

There is no recourse. These things happen IRL too. The guy wants a change of scenery and simply doesn't want to play for your team anymore. Players leave teams every off season as much as you'd like to extend or re-sign them, and they opt out when you least want them to. I'd love to keep every player I want but that's not how it works. So come the off season I try to build the best team I can with the resources I have. When the new season starts I find out how good of a job I have done.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

My advice would be to let the market set itself. Don't respond to the ridiculous demand in the first place; let him hit free agency. His free agency demand might be more reasonable right away, but if it's not, check what he's asking for each day; at some point, he'll receive an offer from another team and you'll see the dialogue switch to something like, "I've gotten an offer from another team but I'm still willing to listen to you," and his demand will have dropped to something above but close to the offer from the other team, which should be more reasonable than the original ridiculous offer.

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #7
buckeye96
Bat Boy

I've not had good luck with this approach. I've waited for the offer to come down and literally the day before I had a player not want to negotiate with me and the next day take an offer $20 million less than what he wanted.

I've also seen some of the ridiculous offers for older players. Rendon is 37, coming off making $41 million and is a free agent. His latest counter to me was 6 years for $38 million.

Wait what?
Old 01-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #8
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Meet their demand or overpay if you really want them, it's really that simple
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

If I told you I want 10 years and $55 mil and your counter was three years less AND 25% less per year I'd say screw you too.
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote