Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

March 24th, 1985

The team was facing Jim Beattie and the Pirates today, but I sat out.

We actually won, 3-2.

March 25th, 1985

I was back in the line-up facing Tom Browning and the Reds.

He struck me out to start off the game. I am hitting .231 so far this spring. There is no question that I am going to start in the minors... the question is, how low?

In the 2nd I turned a double play with Welly (Brad Wellman) off the bat of Dann Bilardello.

I came up with two out in the 3rd and hit a pathetic little dribbler back to Browning.

A couple of errors by Terry Mulholland and Jeff Leonard both ended up scoring, putting us in a hole.

I lead off in the 6th, now facing Ron Robinson, and grounded out to Tom Foley at 2nd.

Scot Thompson pinch-hit for me in the 7th.

We lost 3-2.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #22
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

March 26th, 1985

I started today against Joe Hesketh and the Expos.

It is fun to be in against a Canadian team, though I was a Blue Jays fan, not Montreal.

Hesketh struck me out to start the game. I am hitting under .220 now. Not good. A lead-off hitter that can't get on base just doesn't work.

It got no better win the 3rd. I came up with the bases empty and one out and grounded out to Tim Wallach at 3rd.

In the 6th it was virtually the same situation, but this time I grounded to Glenn Hubbard at 2nd.

Also that inning I caught a pop-up by Gary Carter. It is the first time the ball was hit to me. This time it was Fred Breining on the mound.

Brad Wellman hit for me in the 8th.

It feels like I am letting my chance slip away.

Did I really expect to make the bigs at 17? Well, they have been playing me like I am the front-runner.

We came back in the 9th to win 4-3.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #23
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

March 27th, 1985

I'm not the only one struggling. I sat out versus the Phillies today but my roomie Dave Linton started. He lasted only one inning and gave up 9 runs. We ended up losing 17-3.

Dave's ERA is now over 10.

March 28th, 1985

I was back in against Alejandro Pena and the Dodgers.

In the 1st I grounded out to Mariano Duncan at short.

In the 2nd our pitcher Colin Ward started a double play and I turned it. It was a nice play all around.

In the 3rd Mike Marshall grounded to me too slowly for me to turn another, but I got the one out.

That same inning I lead off with a walk off Pena. I stole 2nd, but it was awfully close. Larry See had me but Ken Harvey dropped the ball. I then scored off a single by Chris Brown. That was our first run of the game and we trailed 2-1.

See popped up to me in the 4th.

In the 5th I started a double play off Pedro Guerrero to end the inning. That was after Jim Dwyer hit a two-run homer, though.

Mike Marshall stole a hit from me that inning. He made a great catch on what should have been a single off Dennis Powell.

My average is below .200 now.

In the 6th I played a grounder by German Rivera. At least that side of my game is going well.

In the 7th Welly started a double play but I couldn't finish it. Sid Bream isn't exactly a speedster but the play developed too slowly.

Tom O'Malley hit for me in the 7th.

We lost 7-5.

There are only 4 more spring games. I'll likely play in 3 of them. I had better get some hits if I want any chance of holding onto this job.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #24
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

March 30th, 1985

I was in the lineup facing Pascual Perez and the Braves.

Hey, Chili is back. That is good news. Now it is just Bob Brenly still sidelined.

I lead off with an easy fly ball to Mike Cole in centre.

In the 2nd I came up with two out and Tom O'Malley on 1st and grounded out to Paul Zuvella at 2nd.

I didn't have a defensive play until the 4th when Bob Horner popped up to me with the bases loaded and one out. It was a big out, though not difficult.

In the 5th I came up with one out and empty bags, now facing Jeff Dedmon. He struck me out.

I am hitting .184. Terrible.

Terry Harper hit a single past me that inning. No error, but I need to make those plays if I am going to hit this badly. Chris Brown bailed me out with a good play on the next batter.

Alejandro Sanchez pinch hit for me in the 8th.

We lost 7-2.

March 31st, 1985

We faced the Padres but I didn't start.

For the first time since that happened, I was brought in, later in the game. Oddly, after Ty Gainey was pinch hit for by Robby Thompson, Nestor Pena brought me in to play Left Field in the 9th.

I stood out there for three batters until he pulled me back out on a double switch for the pitcher.

I think his thinking about me has changed. I am a filler player now - not a starter.

Oh, we won 5-4.

April 1st, 1985

Maybe I was wrong. The insecurities of a young ballplayer are very high.

Today I started in my usual spot against John Stuper and the Cardinals.

He struck me out to start the game.

I think my anxiety is getting to me. I am not this bad a player. It nearly caused me to blow a simple grounder by Andy Van Slyke. I recovered in time, thankfully.

I came up in the 2nd with 2 on and 2 out... and struck out again.

Also in that inning I speared a nice liner by David Green with two men in scoring position. Big play. They ended up scoring anyway, on a Super double, of all things. We were trailing 3-1.

In the 4th I came up trailing 6-3 with Steve Nicosia on 1st and one out. I grounded out to Terry Pendleton at 3rd. I guess it was a productive out, moving up Steve.

Not good enough.

Things got worse in the 5th when I was too slow fielding a grounder by Oddibe McDowell out he outran me for a single. Thankfully he never scored.

John Castino pinch hit for me in the 6th. Earlier than usual?

We lost 9-4.

April 2nd, 1985

Our last spring training game. Spring has been terrible for both the team and me personally.

Today we face Bob Owchiko and the Cubs. I need a big game. A BIG game.

I lead off the bottom of the 1st, reading on an error by Bob Dernier in CF. No hit, but I will take it. Then Chris Brown also reached on an error and the Cubs were giving us a big chance. On a 1-0 count to Chili I stole 3rd, for my 5th stolen bag of the spring. Brownie moved up on the throw. We now had two guys in scoring position without a hit. Chili cashed me in on a sac fly. In the end we scored 3 that inning.

In the 2nd I came up with one out and none out and grounded out to Ryne Sandberg.

In the 3rd I took a grounder off Shawon Dunston and tried to start a double play by Dunston outran. We still got one.

In the 4th we went the other way, with Kenny Oberkfell starting the double play and me turning it. This time it worked out. (Though Bob Owchinko is hardly the speedster that Dunston is.)

In the 5th I took a throw from John Rabb to gun down Dunston trying to steal. Good throw Rabbie!

Later that inning, now facing Tom Filer, I lined out to Bob Dernier in centre.

In the 8th Tony Armas put one into CF that I thought I could have reached. Maybe not.
He ended up being the tying run for the Cubs.
Jeff Jones grounded to me with the go-ahead runner on 3rd but I played it well, got the out and held the runner.

In the bottom of the 8th, tied at 3, Mike Aldrete hit for me.

My spring was done.

We lost 4-3 in 10.

We finished our spring 6-22, the worst record in either league.

My final stats were were no better. .164 / .198 / .218

Only two extra base hits (a double and a triple), 3 RBI and 5 runs scored. I stole 5 bases and was caught once.

The only way I make this team is because, well, the whole team is struggling. Hard.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #25
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Cut Day

Oh my... I made the team.

So did my roomie Dave.

Wow.

It was hard, though. Brad Wellman was placed on waivers. I liked Welly. Fran Mullins was as well.

Our Opening Day Roster looks like this:

ROTATION

Atlee Hammaker
Mike Krukow
Terry Mulholland
Jeff Robinson
David Linton

Bullpen

Ron Davis (closer)
Scott Garrelts
Mark Davis
Frank Williams
Curt Brown
Pat Perry

Lineup

Rusty Priske - SS
Chris Brown - 3B
Chili Davis - CF
Rob Deer - 1B
Jeffrey Leonard - LF
Terry Harper - RF
Ken Oberkfell - 2B
Ken Smith - C

John Rabb and John Stearns are both on the roster to back up Smith until Brenly gets back.

Stearns apparently is my back up at short. Wow. They are giving me a lot of faith. We also have Eddie Vargas, John Castino,Tom O'Malley, and Sixto Lezcano, but none really play short.

You might see a lot of unexpected names. The team did so badly in spring that the front office went wild on the waiver wires.

We got ten new players, five on which are now on the main roster. Terry Harper and Ken Smith came in from Atlanta. Lezcano was on the Phillies. Vargas and Stearns were Mets.

Here we go. I am in the majors.

Last edited by rpriske; 02-05-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #26
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

The experts are not expecting much of the Giants. They are expected to fight with the Braves for the NL West cellar.

We have no Top 10 players either on the mound or in the field.

Our bullpen doesn't look bad but our closer is weak.
The rotation is really weak. We are decent at second with Kenny Oberkfell and Brenly will be back behind the dish soon, which is good. Chili Davis is solid player.

Then there is this young prospect playing short.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #27
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 9th, 1985

We open at home versus the Padres.

My parents and sister came down from Victoria for the game. No pressure, hey? But it is my first major league game. It means a lot.

We have Atlee Hammaker on the mound. They have Tim Lollar. Could be worse for a debut.

Famous last words?

Candlestick Park is amazing. Everything I had hoped t would be.

I led off the bottom of the 1st by grounding out to Al Newman at 3rd.

Okay. That is out of the way. Now to find my first hit.

Chili Davis turned his first at bat of the season into a home run and we led 1-0.

In the 2nd we got another homer, this one by Jeff Leonard, to put us up 2-0. I ended the inning by grounding out to Newman again.

My first defensive play came in the 3rd on an easy grounded by Lollar. No problems there.

Also in the 3rd, another solo homer for the 3rd straight inning. This time it was Rob Deer. We led 3-0.

In the 4th I handled grounders by Tony Gwynn and Kevin McReynolds without incident.

Lollar struck me out to lead off the 5th.

In the 7th McReynolds grounded out to me again.

Also that inning I came up with one out and Ken Smith on 3rd. Dave Rozema was in as a reliever. I hit it straight up the middle and into centre field for an RBI single. They got the ball back for me.

My first hit and first RBI. This one is for the mantle.

It got better. On the first pitch to Chris Brown I stole 2nd. I then scored when Chris reached on an error by their shortstop, Gerald DeSimone.

We were up 5-0.

DeSimone grounded out to me to start the 8th. I almost botched the throw but Deer bailed me out. I guess I was a little keyed up now. After Jerry Hairston reached I took a grounder from Alan Wiggins and started a double play, but Hairston broke it up by sliding into Ken Oberkfell.

Gwynn led off the top of the 9th and grounded out to me. Two more to go.
McReynolds flew out to Eddie Vargas in centre and John Kruk grounded out to Deer at 1st and it was over.

Atlee Hammaker pitched a complete game shut-out. I got my first hit and RBI. The Giants won 5-0.

Great way to start a career.

Last edited by rpriske; 02-08-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #28
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Oh... by the way... the Top 100 Prospect list was announced.

#2 is an outfielder with the Brewers named Barry Bonds.

#1 is a shortstop from the Giants.

Yep.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:40 AM   #29
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 10th, 1985

It was sure nice to have my family in town for my major league debut. Being 17 on a team with grown men can sometimes be a little daunting. Things worked out for me, though. I gave the ball from my first hit to my mom. She liked that.

They stuck around for game two before heading back to Victoria. Would luck stay with me?

Brad Wellman and Fran Mullins cleared waivers and were assigned to Phoenix.

Charlie Lea was on the mound for the Padres. We had Jeff Robinson.

Jeff didn't have the same success at keeping the Padres off the board that Atlee had. Kevin McReynolds hit a two-run homer in the 1st inning.

My first at bat ended in a strikeout.

In the 2nd I got my first action on defense with an easy grounder by Al Newman. I got another from Tony Gwynn n the 3rd.

I led off the 4th, which if you are doing the math shows that Lea was perfect so far. I didn't change that by hitting an easy fly ball to McReynolds in centre.

Things when south in the 5th. We still hadn't collected a hit and the Padres started scoring. It was 7-0 by the time Nestor Pena gave Jeff the hook and went with Curt Brown.

We finally got on the board that inning after a couple of walks and an RBI by Kenny Oberkfell. We still trailed by 6.

Curt had been lifted for a pinch hitter so Pat Perry was in to pitch the 6th. He gave up a double to Terry Kennedy but kept him from scoring.

I lead off our half and grounded out on a weak swing to Charlie Lea. We did manage another run when Chili hit Chris Brown home, but we had a long way to go.

McReynolds grounded out to me to start the 7th. Perry walked John Kruk but then I handled an easy pop up by Carmelo Martinez. Kenny got the final out - another pop up.

We scored again in the 7th, that was 3 innings in a row, We needed to pick up the pace as we still trailed by 4.

Frank Williams was pitching for us now, after another pinch hit spot.

A big screw-up on my part that inning. With George Hinshaw on 3rd, Alan Wiggins swiped 2nd and I didn't cover the base, when it was clearly my play. Pretty embarrassing. Frank lost his control after that and gave up 2 runs.

I led off the 8th, now facing Craig Lefferts. I flied out to Gwynn in right.

In the 9th we had yet another pitcher out there - Ron Davis. Al Newman reached with a single and then Hinshaw hit what could have been a double play to Brownie but Newman plowed into Ken Oberkfell. Ken came up holding his hand... he was in a lot of pain and had to leave the game.

Dirty pool by Newman, especially when they were up by 6 in the 9th! John Rabb had to take over at 2nd.

We didn't score and lost 9-3.

We found out after the game that Ken had torn a ligament in his thumb. He is heading to the D.L.

Fran Mullins was called up but it looks like John Castino is going to take Ken's spot in the starting line-up.

We had an off-day before heading down the coast to face the Dodgers in their home opener.

Last edited by rpriske; 02-11-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #30
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 12th, 1985

Castino maybe Oberkfell's replacement at 2nd, but today it is Fran Mullins. We never played together in the spring so I hope this goes okay.

We are in L.A. to face Rick Honeycutt and the Dodgers. We have Mike Krukow going.

On the road means I lead off the game. I grounded out to Darrell Evan at 1st... not so fast! I outran him to the base and got an infield single!
I got thrown out at 2nd on a Chris Brown fielder's choice.

I led off the 3rd with us up 1-0. I flew out to Mike Marshall in right.

The Dodgers took the lead 3-1 that inning.

In the 5th I came up with Ken Smith on 2nd and one out. While I was up Kenny surprised everyone by stealing 3rd. I knocked the ball past short and got an RBI single! After Brown flew out I stole 2nd - my second stolen base of the year. I then scored from 2nd on a Chili Davis single, tying the game.

That held until the 6th when the Dodgers pulled back ahead 4-3.

In the 7th I came up with the base empty and one out. Honeycutt struck me out. Thankfully the guys after me did their jobs, ending on a Rob Deer 3-run homer to put us up 6-3.

Mark Davis came in to pitch the 7th for us and Frank Williams pitched the 8th.

I didn't have a defensive play until the 8th when I was the pivot on a Mullins - Priske - Deer double play.

I led off the 9th and got clipped by a pitch from Alejandro Pena. No intent.
A couple of double switches had Eddie Vargas hitting behind me and playing right. He smacked a double and I moved to 3rd. They walked Chili to load the bags and brought in Tom Niedenfuer to try and pitch them out of this. He struck out Deer and got Jeff Leonard to hit a weak groundball that ended me at the plate. We got nothing.

Ron Davis came in to close... and he did. We won 6-4.

April 13th, 1985

David Linton was getting his first start ever and the Dodgers answered with Orel Hershiser. Back to John Rabb at 2nd. (They said it would be Castino. What's going on?)

Hershiser struck me out to start things off. That inning went well for us, as we scored 3 times, mostly on a Terry Harper 2-run double.

I got into the action on defense a little sooner today, handling a Mike Marshall grounder for the 2nd out.

In the 2nd I came up with none out and Ken Smith on 3rd and Dave Linton on 2nd. While I was up Hershiser uncorked a wild pitch, scoring Kenny. I struck out again. Chris Brown ended up knocking Dave home and we were up 5-0.

With Darrell Evans at 1st in the 2nd I tool a throw from Kenny Smith to gun him out trying to steal. A batter later I snagged a lien drive off the bat of Dave Anderson for the 2nd out.

In the 3rd I was the pivot on a Rabb - Priske - Deer double play.

In the 4th I came up with 2 out and Dave Linton on 1st. Dave moved up a bag on a wild pitch but Hershiser struck me out again. That is 3 times in a row.

Dave got into trouble in the 4th, giving up 5 runs to tie the game. It would have been more but I relayed a Jeff Leonard throw to gun down Mariano Duncan trying to score from 1st on a double.

In the 5th Dave was clearly gassed but they left him in to give up a solo shot by Pedro Guerrero before bringing in Curt Brown.

Not a good debut for my roomie.

Terry Harper stopped them from pulling further ahead with a great catch to end the 8th with Rich Dauer standing on 3rd.

In the 7th I came up with Kenny Smith on 2nd and one out. We were facing Alejandro Pena now so hopefully he doesn't have my number like Hershiser did... but no. Nestor Pena called me back. He decided to play the percentages and have lefty Tom O'Malley hit for me.

Disappointing, but that is the game.

It didn't work but we DID score before the inning was up, to tie it 6-6. (No Loss for Dave.)

John Rabb knocked in Rob Deer in the 8th and we won 7-6.

We are 3-1 so far.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #31
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 14th, 1985

A couple of big names going at it today. We have Atlee Hammaker, who pitched a shutout in his first start, facing Fernando Valenzuela, he is 0-1.

John Castino is finally in at 2nd. (A little stability would be nice, but hey.)

It looked like I was leading off with a hit to left but R.J. Reynolds made a diving catch to rob me.

With Mariano Duncan on 1st, Mike Marshall hit a single between me and Chris Brown. I should have had that. They ended up scoring one. (It would have been more if it wasn't for a couple of great plays by Castino.)

In the 2nd I handled a grounder by Rich Dauer with no drama.

In the 3rd I came up with one out and Hammaker on 1st. I hit it straight to Duncan at short and into a double play.

Also in the 3rd Pedro Guerrero hit a pop fly with I... dropped. For no reason.

Bloody hell.

My error ended up costing us another run.

In the 5th I handled a ground ball by Mike Marshall. Concentrating.

In the 6th I came up with one out and Ken Smith on 2nd. I made a 'productive out', grounding to Dauer at 2nd and moving Kenny to 3rd. He didn't end up scoring.

Reynolds grounded out to me that inning.

We finally scored in the 7th (a Child Davis solo homer) - making the run off my error more glaring.

Also in the 7th Dave Anderson hit a single past me. Thankfully we got out of it.

In the 8th I grounded out to Dauer again.

We lost 2-1.

I am not hitting and my fielding was not good.

I am not earning my place here. At all.

Tomorrow we are in San Diego.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #32
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 15th, 1985

We are in San Diego to face the Padres. We have Jeff Robinson going. They have Charlie Lea. He beat us 9-3 earlier.

I started off the game by grounding out to Alan Wiggins at 2nd.

In the 3rd I came up with one out and Robinson on 1st, trailing 2-0. This time I singled past Wiggins and Robinson moved to 3rd. Nothing came of it, though.

In the 3rd I handled a grounder by Lea to end the ending, but the Padres had already scored 2 more runs by that point.

In the 4th I was meant to be the pivot on a double play but Wiggins came in awfully hard. You would think a fellow middle infielder would know better. I handled a grounder by John Kruk to end the inning, holding it at 4-0.

In the 5th I came up with one out and Robinson on 1st again. This time I flew out to Kevin McReynolds in centre.

In the 6th I got another grounder from Charlie Lea. Pat Perry came in to pitch for us and I took a line drive off Ozzie Guillen, and nearly doubled Wiggins off 1st!

In the 7th, for the 3rd straight time, I came up with one out and a man on 1st. This time it was Tom O'Malley who had pinch hit for Perry. Lea struck me out.

In the bottom half I took a grounder by George Hinshaw to end the inning with two men on. Frank Williams was on the mound by that point. In the 8th Williams walked home a run before getting lifted for Curt Brown. He did no better, giving up a pair of runs and now we trailed 7-0.

In the 9th I came up with two out and Kenny Smith on 1st, now facing Craig Lefferts. I flew out to McReynolds again.

That was it. We lost.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #33
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 16th, 1985

Today we had Terry Mulholland facing their Eric Show.

It was the first start of the year for Terry, while Show was going on short rest. I do not know why.

I grounded out to Alan Wiggins at 2nd to start off the game. I really need to start hitting.

In the 2nd Kevin McReynolds hit a solo shot to give the Padres the lead. I got a Wiggins grounder to end the inning, but not before they had scored again to make it 2-0.

I led off the 3rd by grounding right back to Show. They scored again in the 3rd but we crossed twice in the 4th (including a Rob Deer homer), narrowing the lead to 3-2.

I finally got it out of the infield in the 5th... flying out to McReynolds in centre.

Wiggins grounded to to me again that inning. But the Padres scored more that frame - including a liner past me by Carmelo Martinez which would have ended it and saved a run. The Padres lead 5-2.

Pat Perry came in to pitch the 6th after we had hit for Terry. He has done well so far this year.

The Pads had pinch hit for Show so now Dave Rozema was pitching and I was his first challenge... and he walked me. Chris Brown tried to bun the over but he popped it up and I had to retreat. With Chili up I took matters into my own hands and grabbed my 3rd steal of the season. Chili singled in the infield and I moved to 3rd. Deer grounded out but did the job as I crossed. 5-3 Padres.

We may have scored one but in the bottom of the 7th Perry gave up his first run and San Diego led 6-3.

I walked again in the 8th, this time with men on 1st and 2nd, but we couldn't get anyone in.

Mark Davis pitched the 8th for us. I took a throw from Kenny Smith to try and nail George Hinshaw stealing, but no luck. Ozzie Guillen scored him.

We went into the 9th trailing 7-3.

We couldn't get it done and now we were sub-.500 at 3-4.

We had a travel day before heading to Cincinnati.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #34
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 18th, 1985

We are in Cinci to take on Mario Soto and the Reds. Miek Krukow is going for us. His one start was iffy, though we got the win.

I led off with a fly ball to Lee Mazzilli in left. I am the worst performer player on the Giants' starting line-up.

The inning went badly, with the Reds scoring 4 times.

I got my first defensive plays in the 2nd, handling grounders by Soto and Almon.

In the 3rd I came up with 2 out and nobody on and promptly flew out to Paul Householder in right to end the inning.

Also in that frame, after Rob Deer had dropped a pop up by Dan Driessen, I handled a grounder by Nick Esasky to start a double play.

In the 4th, with two men on and two out, I took a grounder from Soto... and dropped it. It was out 3rd error of the game, but this one was all me. Chili Davis made a great catch off Almon to bail me out.

I am not hitting nearly enough to put up with errors.

In the 5th I came up with John Castino on 3rd and Kenny Smith on 2nd and hit a sac fly to score Castino, getting my 3rd RBI of the year.

More importantly we scored 4 times to tie the game.

In the 7th, with the bases empty and 2 out, I was pulled for pinch-hitter Eddie Vargas.

I can't blame Nestor, but it still hurts.

Fran Mullins took over at short.

We ended up losing 6-5.

In other, more upsetting news, my buddy Dave Linton has had to leave the team because his son is very sick. Our thoughts are with him.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #35
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 19th, 1985

Dave Linton came back. Things are okay with his son. Thank goodness.

Today we have Atlee Hammaker facing off with Jay Tibs of the Reds. Atlee is coming off a great start and Tis is coming off a bad one.

Let's go!

I led off with s ad little clunker in front of the plate but when their catcher Don Werner threw it to Dan Driessen at 1st, he dropped it. I'll take the error.
I stole 2nd ont he very first pitch. That is 4 for me this year. One batter later I tried to steal 3rd.
I got greedy and paid for it. Wasted chances.

I had my first defensive play on the 2nd, handling a grounder by Paul Householder with no problems.

I came up in the 3rd with one out and Kenny Smith on 2nd. RBI single, baby! Then I stole 2nd again! I was stranded there but that is better than trying to steal 3rd and getting thrown out.

We were up 1-0.

In the 5th I came up with nobody on and two out. I singled again! Then I stole 2nd again! Three stolen bases so far this game! Stranded again, but hey, we're winning!

Bill Almon grounded to me in the 6th and reached with a single. There was no play. It was good that I could even stop it. He didn't come around.

In the 7th Nick Esasky grounded out to me with Eric Davis on 2nd. I got Esasky but Davis moved up and got to the 3rd with only one out.

In the 8th I came up with one out and nobody on... and I got my 3rd straight hit! My base running paid more dividends as Werner tried to pick me off and threw it behind Driessen, letting me move up on an error. Chris Brown struck out but then Chili Davis put one in the left field seats! We were now up 3-0!

Ron Davis came in to close things out in the 9th. He gave up a solo homer to Eric Davis but he still did enough. Giants over the Reds 3-1!

With my 6 stolen bases, I am tied for the league lead.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #36
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 20th, 1985

Today the Reds have Jeff Russell. We have Jeff Robinson, He has struggled so far this year, but we have got his back.

I led off the right way, smacking a single to right field. I stole 2nd pretty easily and then - feeling my oats a little - I stole 3rd as well. Chris Brown singled and I crossed the plate. We scored 3 before the inning was up, including back-to-back blasts by Chili Davis and Rob Deer.

I think this is going to be a good day.

The Reds scored one in the bottom half.

I came up in the 2nd with two out and the bases empty and singled to right again. This time when I tried to steal it was on a pitch out and they nailed me.

My first defensive play came in the 3rd when Russell grounded to me. No problem. After they got two on Nick Esasky did the same.

In the 4th Paul Householder walked and tried to steal 2nd but I took a perfect throw from John Rabb and we erased him.

I led off in the 5th and grounded out to Russell. Despite the lead, Robinson didn't get out of the inning. Nestor brought in Curt Brown with one out and one on. We got out of it with no damage. I think he should have given Jeff the chance to get the win.

In the 6th, after the Reds had scored to narrow the lead to one, I tried to start a double play. We got Alan Knicely but Lee Mazzilli outran the second half. Russell grounded to me again to end the threat.

We were still leading 3-2.

In the 7th, after I had gone 2 for 3 against Russell already, Nestor brought in Tom O'Malley to hit for me.

To say I am irked would be an under-statement.

The game went crazy after I left. The Reds took a 4-3 lead in the 7th and we scored 5 times in the 8th. In the end we won 9-7 to get back to .500

We have an afternoon game tomorrow before heading back home to face the Dodgers.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:32 PM   #37
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 21st, 1985

Dave Linton is starting today - his first back with the team after the scare with his boy. Hopefully he bounces back from that and his bad first start.

The Reds have Tom Browning going.

I started the game off by grounding out to Dan Driessen at 1st.

I also started off the defensive side of the 1st by catching a pop-up from Bill Almon.

I came up again in the 2nd, after Terry Harper had already hit a 2-run homer. There was two out and Kenny Smith was on 2nd. I grounded out to Nick Esasky at 3rd.

In the bottom frame, Tom Foley grounded to me and we got Esasky going to 2nd but couldn't get the double play. Later, with the bases loaded and two out, I handled a grounder by Browning to end the threat.

We scored again in the 3rd, taking a 3-0 lead, when Jeff Leonard knocked Chris Brown in.

I made a play on a Foley grounder - once again missing the double play - but only after the Reds had scored a pair. We were up 3-2.

In the 4th I came up with Smith on 2nd and two out again. This time I connected with an RBI single to centre! That was my 5th RBI! I continued with my league leading pilfering, grabbing 2nd with stolen base #9. Brown singles and I try to score... only to be gunned down by Paul Householder in right field.

I was too aggressive there, but they want me to run.

We led 4-2.

The Reds scored in the 4th and Nestor gave the hook to David Linton. He still hasn't gotten past the 4th inning. Not good.
Curt Brown came in and got the 3rd out. We were still up by one.

Foley grounded out to me for the 3rd time in the 5th.

In the 6th a double play I started finally came through as Almon erased Browning.

Over aggressive again. I connected with a double to lead off the 7th but I tried to stretch it into a triple and once again, Householder had my number. Chili Davis hit a solo shot that inning to put out lead to 5-3.

Frank Williams came it to pitch in the 7th and I helped him out by handling a grounder by Esasky.

Scott Garrelts pitched the 8th and had a 3-up, 3-down inning.

I led off the 9th, now facing John Franco, and he struck me out.

Pat Perry came in to close... and couldn't get it done. He gave up a run and then, with two out, surrendered a two-run gopher ball to Eric Davis.

We led the whole game but ended up losing 6-5 to the Reds.

We dropped back to 5-6.

I went 2 for 5 with an RBI, a stolen base, good defense, but two time sI was too eager on the base paths.

We have another day goes tomorrow, but it is back home. The Dodgers are coming to town.

The big news after the game was that Bob Brenly was being activated from the DL and sent to Phoenix for a rehab stint. Nothing against Kenny Smith but Brenly should be a big lift for the team.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:07 AM   #38
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 22nd, 1985

Home against the Dodgers. We've got Terry Mulholland going and they have Rick Honeycutt. Neither has eden well so far in this young season.

I was challenged on the very first play as Mariano Duncan grounded to me... and I threw it away! Two base throwing error. Unacceptable.

Thankfully he didn't end up scoring.

I led off the bottom of the 1st by grounding out to Dave Anderson at 3rd.

In the 2nd I came up with two out Mulholland on 3rd, after hit a triple to score Kenny Smith... and I hit a double! RBI! We were up 2-0!

In the top of the 3rd I took another grounder from Duncan, but this time handled it properly.

In the 4th I started a double play with John Castino to get R.J. Reynolds and Rich Dauer.

In the bottom of the inning I came up with two out and Terry Harper on 3rd and Castino on 2nd. I grounded out to Darrell Evans at 1st, but he bungled it and Harper scored! We were up 3-0!

In the 5th I made a great diving catch on a liner by Duncan - the 3rd time he hit it to me.

We scored two more times that inning. 5-0!

I led off the 6th by grounding to Dauer at 2nd... but for the second time this game, I took advantage of an error to reach safely! I quickly picked up stolen base #10. I then scored on yet another Dodgers error, this time by Pedro Guerrero in centre. Before the inning was over we lead 9-0.

In the 7th Dauer hit one past me that I think I should have reached. I took a pop up from Evans immediately after. Dauer ended up scoring. 9-1 for us.

I came up with 2 out and now facing Carlos Diaz. I smacked a triple! I then scored on a wild pitch! 10-1!

Mark Davis came in to pitch the 8th. I was the pivot on a double play started by Castino that got Guerrero and Dauer, but the Dodgers scored first. 10-2.

Davis stayed in for the 9th and I field a grounder from Larry See for the 2nd out.

We won this one 10-2!

Hey, was also heard that Chili Davis had won the NL Player of the Week Award! Way to go Chili!

I am leading the NL in Stolen Bases, one ahead of Alan Wiggins of the Padres.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #39
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 23rd, 1985

Back to the top of the rotation as we had Mike Krukow facing Orel Hershiser of the Dodgers.

I went 0 for 3 against him earlier. Hopefully I can do better this time.

I led off the bottom of the 1st and had success right away! My first hit against Orel was a single to right. I then stole 2nd and moved to 3rd on an errant throw by catcher Mike Scioscia. Chris Brown singled and I crossed the plate for the first run of the game.

In the 2nd I cut off a throw to the plate, where we were not going to catch Rich Dauer, to throw out Jim Dwyer at 3rd. It worked but the game was now tied 1-1.

I came up in the 3rd with one out and nobody on and was plunked by Hershiser! I didn't care for that! That led to stolen base #12 but did not lead to another run.

That was too bad because in the 4th Scioscia hit a two run homer to give the Dodgers the lead.

I took my first ground ball in the 5th. It was by Pedro Guerrero and everything went smoothly.

I came up in the bottom half of that inning with two out and the bases empty. I grounded out to my opposite number, Mariano Duncan.

In the 6th Darrell Evans singled past me. He later scored. We also scored that inning so L.A. led 4-2.

Scott Garrelts took over for Krukow in the 8th.

In the bottom half I led off but Hershiser struck me out.

In the bottom of the 9th I came up with the bases loaded (Jeff Leonard on 3rd, Terry Harper and 2nd, and pinch-hitter Sixto Lexcano on 1st) and L.A. closer Tom Niedenfuer pitching... or at least I was about to.

I was lifted for John Rabb. I could see that I was still not trusted in key situations, despite hitting nearly .300 so far this year. Very disappointing.

Niednefuer threw a wild pitch that scored Leonard but then he got Rabb to ground out. We lost 4-3.

I would have liked that chance.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #40
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

April 24th, 1985

Atlee Hammaker is going for us and Fernando Valenzuela is going for the Dodgers.

Atlee has been incredible so far this s short season, sporting an ERA of 0.36

I led off the bottom of the 1st facing Fernando and I grounded out to Rich Dauer at 2nd.

In the 2nd Bauer hit one just past my glove. We got him out later but L.A. scratch down across for the lead.

In the 3rd I handled a pop-up by Mike Marshall. In the bottom half I came up with two out and nobody on and struck out to end the inning.

In the bottom of the 5th we did some damage, scoring 3 times. I came up with Kenny Smith on 3rd and Hammaker on 1st and walked. Kenny scored. I never go past 2nd but we went up 3-1.

Darrell Evans homered in the 7th to trim our lead to one. In the bottom half I reached with a one out single. I was erased by a double play.

Mariano Duncan led off the 8th by giving me a nice ground ball for the 1st out... but then Mike Marshall homered to tie the game at 3.

No decision for Atlee as Ron Davis came in to pitch the 9th. Chris Brown had already been lifted for Tom O'Malley at 3rd and now O'Malley was pulled in a double switch for Fran Mullins. I took a grounder from pinch hitter Sid Bream for the 3rd out.

I was due up 4th in the 9th. We were looking for a walk-off. Ken Howell was pitching for the Dodgers. He got John Castino, Kenny Smith and Sixto Lezcano, pinch hitting for Mullins, and we were off to extras.

John Rabb became the 4th third-sacker of the game for us as we entered the 10th.

Three batters later and Ron had given up a 3-run homer to Pedro Guerrero. Mark Davis took over on the mound and gave up a hit to R.J. Reynolds, past my dive... and then the same thing happened from Bauer. That is three times a ball was just out of my reach. We got Mike Scioscia to hit into a double play but only after another run and we trailed 7-3. They cored another two before we could get out of it.

We went into the bottom of the 10th down 9-3. Ugly.

Alejandro Pena was pitching and he struck me out to start things off. Me managed nothing and the game was over.

Disheartening.

The Reds are in town tomorrow.