Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Challenge Mode Question

What is the difference between sending a player to the reserve list or to my minor league team? Is one better then the other? Also do the player develop according to real life or is it based off the game?
Mike1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

They're functionally the same in terms of player development - players on the reserve list develop at approximately the same rate as a player on a minor league team. It's basically a substitute farm team for playable teams that don't have one (you won't have both a farm team and a reserve list available.)

For the second question, are you asking about historical mode? In that case, it depends on the setting you choose during startup - you can either use the regular FHM development system (the potentials for the players are determined by their real career, but it isn't guaranteed they'll reach them) or choose to have their ratings recalculated every year, which will follow their actual historical development.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm playing historical challenge. How is that set up? Also when playing I'm drafting players but when I try to sign them it keeps saying that the player can't sign with a foreign team. Why not and when will he be able to?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Which team's challenge are you playing? I'll have a look at that, you shouldn't have to use a reserve list in any of those.

Are the players you're trying to sign European? They may decide not to sign immediately when they're younger; it can take a season or two before they change their mind.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
Fifabing
Bat Boy

If you play under challenge mode, are you able to exit challenge mode once you start a career? Am I able to enter commish mode and thus give up on challenge mode?
Fifabing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

No, once challenge mode is on, it's on permanently; the commissioner mode checkbox is disabled. If it was only a matter of enabling the commissioner mode functions to turn it off, it might be doable, but there are other aspects of challenge mode that can't easily be reversed in the middle of a game.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
Gem16
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In Challenge mode there is possible to edit some player information, for example players"cap hit". Should that be disabled also?
Gem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:52 AM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

Ah, yes, that should be disabled. We fixed a bug with the cap hit calculation in the editor a few weeks ago, it may have been left open to editing after that happened.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Which team's challenge are you playing? I'll have a look at that, you shouldn't have to use a reserve list in any of those.

Are the players you're trying to sign European? They may decide not to sign immediately when they're younger; it can take a season or two before they change their mind.
I'm playing as the Red Wings challenge. I'm sorry the reserve list was under my minor league team. I have noticed in the minor league team doesn't fill in the empty roster. Like I have about 12 players sent down there but that is the only players they are using. Are they using ghost players?

In my first year I drafter Hasek but it won't let me sign him. When will I be able to sign him? Is there a way to be able to tell? Or do I just keep trying to offer him a contract every offseason?

Also right now I have a budget of 10.2 million my player payroll is at 2.5 million but it's only letting me have a staff budget of 650,000 which I have used all of it. Shouldn't I be able to use whats left of the budget or is the staff and player payroll two different budgets?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

The minor league team isn't actually playing games, since it's not a playable league, so it doesn't need a full roster.

Hasek, like the other Czech, Slovak, and Russian players who didn't defect early, should be signable in 1989-90.

Staff and player budgets are separate, yes.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
The minor league team isn't actually playing games, since it's not a playable league, so it doesn't need a full roster.

Hasek, like the other Czech, Slovak, and Russian players who didn't defect early, should be signable in 1989-90.

Staff and player budgets are separate, yes.
That note on Hasek is good to know, because I also ended up drafting him as the Red Wings in the same challenge after seeing all the other teams keep passing on him till the 3rd round. I did manage to sign one of my foreign draft picks but I had figured the reason the others couldn't be signed had something to do with the rules, anyway. Good to know how long most of them wait.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #12
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ok thank you for the help.