Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
professordp
Hall Of Famer

The Professor's Laboratory

A recent discussion on another thread concerning boxing styles got me thinking and was the impetus for this thread.

The questions raised in the discussion centered on different types of fighters and the need to add additional styles to TBCB. In particular the need to distinguish between a Foreman type of slugger and one of the Frazier/Marciano variety (i.e., a "swarmming slugger") was presented.

My view is that a new classification is really not necessary insofar as an adjustment of particular variables could accomplish this distinction.

The purpose of this thread is to exlpore how we could best accomplish these differences within the current framework of TBCB.

I'm right now in the formative stages of attempting to rework (and perhaps redefine) some of the key varibales of a boxer's rating to attain this type of a subclassification.

The primary focus will be on rerating sluggers to divide them between two subgroupings---swarmmers (Farzier/Marciano) and bombers (Foreman/Liston). As a result, I think I'm mandated to take a second look at how we rate the fighters placed in the "boxer" classification insofar I believe that there will be some modification of the CF variable.

I've created a very small universe that consists of particular types. Included are Ali, Frazier, Liston, Foreman, Shavers, Norton,and Marciano.
I'll be adding a few more, likely Louis, Ezzard Charles, and Tyson.

I want to keep the group small at this point and think I've got a pretty decent representation of styles to work off of. Please let me know if you feel I've missed a particularly unique, RETIRED heavyweight. For a variety of reasons, I want to stay away from active fighters, at least at this juncture.

I should start posting some of my models for you examination and encourage you to present some of your models for the boxers I've mentioned above.

If all of this takes me where I think it might, I'll expand the project and include different eras as well as weight divisions.

For now, I'd really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
comicfanman
All Star Starter

This is a good point.

A good example also might not look at power, Winky Wright vs Paul Williams. Williams so dang busy that Wright did not have time to throw back.

So maybe something like PUNCH OUTPUT needs to be added to have these fighters a little more active. Would hinder defense and counter punching? Plus more? I don't know what it would take to change and how it would effect things but something to throw around.
Always excited about TBCB and ideas to better improve the game experience.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicfanman View Post
This is a good point.

A good example also might not look at power, Winky Wright vs Paul Williams. Williams so dang busy that Wright did not have time to throw back.

So maybe something like PUNCH OUTPUT needs to be added to have these fighters a little more active. Would hinder defense and counter punching? Plus more? I don't know what it would take to change and how it would effect things but something to throw around.
Always excited about TBCB and ideas to better improve the game experience.
Thanks for the feedback! That's one of the things I've been looking at. I've started to test a few prototypes doing what many might call radical adjustments. Thus far the results have been mixed. My preliminary efforts have centered on altering the CF for the two different types of sluggers.

My triad has been Ali, Forman, and Frazier. By the weekend, I hope to be able to post ratings for the three and see the responses of other members.

I sort of feel like a mad scientist with this project
Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
Jersey-Jim
Hall Of Famer

I tried something similar a few years back and had interesting results. The styles and their affects can only be accurately simulated with fighters of near or equal ability. In real life, Joe Frazier's aggression wouldn't work against him against an "inferior slugger."

Against Oscar Bonavena, it was noticeable. Against George Foreman, REALLY noticeable. Oscar's rated a 9 in the game. Frazier's a 13. Oscar had Joe down twice and lost a decision. Foreman bounced him off the floor a bunch of times and basically kept him there.

Two sluggers... one a higher caliber. You can see the difference.

It seems the pressure applied by the swarmer multiplies the bomber's effectiveness in power and control.

I also experimented with the Go for the Knockout Strategy which gives the opponent added hitting power. That was back in the card days. I would apply that to the slugger's category.

Ultimately, it became too much work. But the idea has always been kept "warm" on the backburner!

Happy experimenting!
Jersey-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey-Jim View Post
I tried something similar a few years back and had interesting results. The styles and their affects can only be accurately simulated with fighters of near or equal ability. In real life, Joe Frazier's aggression wouldn't work against him against an "inferior slugger."

Against Oscar Bonavena, it was noticeable. Against George Foreman, REALLY noticeable. Oscar's rated a 9 in the game. Frazier's a 13. Oscar had Joe down twice and lost a decision. Foreman bounced him off the floor a bunch of times and basically kept him there.

Two sluggers... one a higher caliber. You can see the difference.

It seems the pressure applied by the swarmer multiplies the bomber's effectiveness in power and control.

Ultimately, it became too much work. But the idea has always been kept "warm" on the backburner!

Happy experimenting!
Thanks for sharing your efforts! I'm still working on this project, and it's taking me a little longer than I had anticipated. One thing I'm playing around with is the "swarmers" punching accuracy. Missed punches obviously open you up for counters. I was including Bonavena-Frazier even though the bout was somewhat early in Joe's career.