Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2016 > MLBM 2016 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

MLBM 2016 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2016, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android

Old 05-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #21
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan25 View Post
Honestly my favourite team to start as is the Astros simply because they are so bad. I like to see how fast I can get them to be a contender.

In your case I would aim for a couple high draft choices, but don't rush them. When they are ready, trade the guys you currently have starting for prospects. Also doesn't matter up if you already have a good prospect at that position. Prospects are already unpredictable. Sometimes I will end up with 3 4-star second basemen when I get lucky and everyone develops, so I then trade 2 of them to fill other team needs. The shop player feature has really come in handy here.
Same, but mine are the Marlins for 2 reasons. 1 is that they're NL, and I prefer NL teams. 2nd is that I feel like they have the best overall team built for the future. They have Stanton, who is and will be one of the elite batters for years to come, and Jose Fernandez, who could easily become the best pitcher in the NL. Building around these cornerstones with players like Yelich and Ozuna for the future along with some interesting supporting players like Dee Gordon makes for a great game.
mac2298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #22
Cary
Minors (Single A)

If it's any consolation, through much wheeling and dealing I assembled a pitching staff that includes two Cy Young winners and another who's likely to become one. ERAs in mid-July 2016:
Kershaw 4.34
Keuchel 3.72
Kluber 4.05
Fister injured in his second start and out until the end of August

They're all being outperformed by Casey Kelly (3.62) and returned-from-the-dead Corey Luebke (3.53). My bullpen has been decent, but you would think with this talent I should be leading the league in ERA by a wide margin. Not so. Team ERA is 3.90, tied for 6th in the AL.

Of course, Kershaw got off to a very slow start for me in 2015 and ended up winning the Triple Crown. I also had Kimbrel (who never performed for me in iOOTP either) in the pen and ended up unloading him in a salary dump ($11 mil/yr) and bringing up a hot rookie who has done as least as well.

Well, if it were too easy it wouldn't be that much fun.
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #23
legend15
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2298 View Post
Same, but mine are the Marlins for 2 reasons. 1 is that they're NL, and I prefer NL teams. 2nd is that I feel like they have the best overall team built for the future. They have Stanton, who is and will be one of the elite batters for years to come, and Jose Fernandez, who could easily become the best pitcher in the NL. Building around these cornerstones with players like Yelich and Ozuna for the future along with some interesting supporting players like Dee Gordon makes for a great game.
That damn Stanton is batting .204, 8 HR 28 RBI in 74 games! dude is absolutely killing me!
legend15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #24
JMdolla$ign
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Regular Season is alright, players do underperform, that happens in real life too. What I can't stand the most is postseason play. The AI tries to do everything to make your team lose.I've had teams with the best record lose in the first round or get blown out in the second. I've had a 129 win team lose the world series with star players under performing constantly. EX: Joey Borbone 25-4 ERA around Mid 1's and in the postseason 0-2 with an ERA in the 8's
JMdolla$ign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
Cary
Minors (Single A)

OK, here's my sob story. I'm playing as the Orioles. In both 2015-2016 I won the division then got tossed in the first round of the playoffs. My starting pitchers to begin 2017 were Kershaw, Kluber, Keuchel, Luebke and Brett Anderson, with Casey Kelly in reserve.

On 6/03 I acquired Jacob deGrom (66), who was 6-3, 2.79 with the Angels. For me he was 9-8, 4.56.

On 6/30 I traded Anderson (38), whose ERA was 6.20 at the time, with a 1-6 record. (It had been 3.69 with TB the year before.) It was 4.86 the rest of the way and he picked up 7 more wins.

On 7/17 I traded Keuchel (25). His previous years' ERAs had been 2.92, 2.66, 3.33. In 18 starts for me he was 5-7, 5.37. After I traded him he was 10-2, 2.63. In return I got Robert Stephenson (63). In his first two years with Atlanta his ERAs were 3.30 and 3.41. In his 2017 starts he was a dazzling 12-2, 2.39. For me? 1-8, 5.07. His WHIP went from 1.04 to 1.47.

My big non-pitching trade: Jose Bautista had been my power hitting mainstay from the git-go, but his fielding in RF took a nosedive and he kept getting injured. In 150 AB his BA was .240 with just 4 HR, OPS of .701. At age 37 and with a $26,000,000 salary, I figured he was at the end of the road. When I got the opportunity to use him in a trade for Manny Machado, one of my favorite players, I jumped at it. Bautista's numbers the rest of the way for the Reds: 223 AB, 21 HR, .946 OPS. (FWIW, Machado played at pretty much the same level as with Cincy, although his OPS did drop from .758 to .737.)

As for my two stud pitchers, Kershaw was 20-11, 3.93. Kluber was 15-12, 4.49. In June my team ERA was 4.12. With all the moves I made it finished at 4.30!

And what did all this net me? We won the AL East by six games, going 89-73. And, yes, we lost again in the first round, falling to KC 3 games to 1.

So, yeah, I can relate to MisterPleasant. While my team certainly didn't suck, I was loaded with underperformers. (Add in Wade Davis (58), 4.09 w. 1.67 WHIP, and Kelvin Herrera (78), 5.15 ERA.) Considering how much time and how much of my (diminishing) brain power I put in to craft deals that would help my team -- getting players with solid track records and high ratings in return -- the results were bitterly disappointing.

I've played baseball sims since I bought the 1961 APBA season in high school. I understand the fallacies of limited sample size. Real MLB teams do go into funks. And I know that MLM2015/OOTP throw some random curveballs at you regarding player development.

But STILL ... this has been pretty hard to figure. Right now it's hard to marshal my energy for 2018 because I really don't know what else I can do. I had the pitchers I wanted and they didn't come through. Would Keuchel have halved his ERA if I'd kept him? Would aging Bautista have delivered 21 HR in the second half for me? Would young Stephenson, who had shown great consistency in 2 1/2 seasons, have fallen off a cliff if he'd stayed with the Braves? It would've amazed me if it had all happened. (Although, living in Colorado, I did see it happen to Ubaldo.)

Since none of us, other than the developers, knows how the mechanics of the this game really work, we can only wonder at these anomalies.
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #26
JMdolla$ign
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I trade away A-Rod in 2015 for Adrian Gonzales and A-Rod is in the top 5 in RBI's and Batting Avg even though Adrian Gonzales was a star for my team. In most of my series the best teams fail miserably in the playoffs and the 84-87 win wildcard teams win it all. The only top team I can understand that failed as the Cubs getting swept in their return to the playoffs.
JMdolla$ign is offline   Reply With Quote