Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

1957 Forever

Is it possible to setup a league with MLB history through 1957 and then freeze the original 16 teams in place (no moves to California; no expansion) but have historic players come in via the annual draft?

How would I set this up?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

I would suggest starting two leagues, one a fictional league, only a couple teams as you will be deleting them right after the inaugural draft and one that is imported as a historical from whatever year you want to start. Make sure you set the fictional league to the same initial year.

Once you have the initial set up, advance one day, so the ficitional league does its draft and then delete those teams, but not the league. You will then need to go into the league menu and delete all the fictional free agents.

In the league setup, go into the historical league and move all those teams to the ficitonal league. Delete the historical league shell and you will be set.

Turn off league evolution, set up the league to import the real rookies into a draft and set the schedule up as you want it to be.

If you want it to follow history till 1957, you will need to make the name changes and make sure you change the season games along the way, but you will not have any changes to the league unless you make them.

As for setting anything I forgot, ask and either I will or someone might be able to answer that those for you,

Hope it helps
elfsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

It doesn't need to be that complicated. Just turn off league evolution and set up your game so that rookies are imported into an annual rookie draft. You can maintain the original 16 teams for as long as you want, and they'll draft new rookies every year.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfsutton View Post
I would suggest starting two leagues, one a fictional league, only a couple teams as you will be deleting them right after the inaugural draft and one that is imported as a historical from whatever year you want to start. Make sure you set the fictional league to the same initial year.

Once you have the initial set up, advance one day, so the ficitional league does its draft and then delete those teams, but not the league. You will then need to go into the league menu and delete all the fictional free agents.

In the league setup, go into the historical league and move all those teams to the ficitonal league. Delete the historical league shell and you will be set.

Turn off league evolution, set up the league to import the real rookies into a draft and set the schedule up as you want it to be.

If you want it to follow history till 1957, you will need to make the name changes and make sure you change the season games along the way, but you will not have any changes to the league unless you make them.

As for setting anything I forgot, ask and either I will or someone might be able to answer that those for you,

Hope it helps

Skip all this, do what CH said.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
dickysty
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
It doesn't need to be that complicated. Just turn off league evolution and set up your game so that rookies are imported into an annual rookie draft. You can maintain the original 16 teams for as long as you want, and they'll draft new rookies every year.
Not to highjack the thread, but is there a way to do the above plus have the league totals freeze at 1957 moving through the years?
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
CatKnight
All Star Starter

Easily. Turn off the historical options to 'adjust League Strategy', 'Import adjusted financial settings' and 'Automatically adjust league totals modifiers.' It'll be 1957 (or whatever year you choose) forever.
CatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
dickysty
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatKnight View Post
Easily. Turn off the historical options to 'adjust League Strategy', 'Import adjusted financial settings' and 'Automatically adjust league totals modifiers.' It'll be 1957 (or whatever year you choose) forever.

The year does change in the "League Totals", put in red. Does that matter?

Also, I think I know the answer but I think I can "check" the "Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy?

Doesn't that just fine tune the totals before the season?

I'm more concerned when I see 1943 in the Totals from Year that it's not working correctly.
Attached Images
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickysty View Post
The year does change in the "League Totals", put in red. Does that matter?

Also, I think I know the answer but I think I can "check" the "Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy?

Doesn't that just fine tune the totals before the season?

I'm more concerned when I see 1943 in the Totals from Year that it's not working correctly.
If you have the box for automatically adjust league totals checked, you are going to advance year by year. Leave that unchecked if you want things to always stay the same year to year.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely give this a go this weekend.

I had not thought much about the totals, so that extra info is outstanding.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
nyy26wc
All Star Reserve

Can anyone explain what the league modifiers mean? Is that just some behind the scenes stuff that we don't have to concern ourselves with or it something with do? I'm assuming it's the former, but I'm just making sure. And, even if it the former, I'm curious anyway.

That 1.96 for HR is really getting me curious. I think it means that everybody's HR figures had to be adjusted up 96% in order for the league figures to match the 1943 HR/AB rates. But, I really don't know for sure.

Last edited by nyy26wc; 05-30-2013 at 02:23 PM.
nyy26wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy26wc View Post
Can anyone explain what the league modifiers mean? Is that just some behind the scenes stuff that we don't have to concern ourselves with or it something with do? I'm assuming it's the former, but I'm just making sure. And, even if it the former, I'm curious anyway.

That 1.96 for HR is really getting me curious. I think it means that everybody's HR figures had to be adjusted up 96% in order for the league figures to match the 1943 HR/AB rates. But, I really don't know for sure.
modifiers are the most important aspect of the game

if the home runs are listed at say 3000, but when the game does a test run and sees only 2700 get hit, it will make the hr modifier 1.100 to get 10% more home runs.
I have spent the last few months just learning how the modifiers affect the game, and they are very important- even though i still don't fully understand how they work
sort of like the weather
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
modifiers are the most important aspect of the game

if the home runs are listed at say 3000, but when the game does a test run and sees only 2700 get hit, it will make the hr modifier 1.100 to get 10% more home runs.
I have spent the last few months just learning how the modifiers affect the game, and they are very important- even though i still don't fully understand how they work
sort of like the weather
It's best to let the game handle the league totals. The numbers actually work counter-intuitively, so if you modify them, you may get the opposite of your intended effect. People should study current and past versions of the manual to understand how everything works.

Basically, the league totals modifiers are designed to ensure that the game is generating overall league statistics that are in line with the real life season from a given year. So, while OOTP simulates individual games and individual player performances, it's also working behind the scenes to ensure accuracy in league-wide totals. This is a simulation system that you won't find in any other product, so it's foreign to most baseball simmers.

I generally advise people to leave the totals alone unless they've developed an expertise on the topic and, for some reason, don't like or don't want the game to use the existing numbers.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Basically, the league totals modifiers are designed to ensure that the game is generating overall league statistics that are in line with the real life season from a given year. So, while OOTP simulates individual games and individual player performances, it's also working behind the scenes to ensure accuracy in league-wide totals. This is a simulation system that you won't find in any other product, so it's foreign to most baseball simmers.

I generally advise people to leave the totals alone unless they've developed an expertise on the topic and, for some reason, don't like or don't want the game to use the existing numbers.
I don't mess with league modifiers but have always wondered about this, so I'll ask here: In a season where a player or two (think Ruth in the early 1920's?) accounted for a significant percentage of the league-wide HR's, if that player or two were to get an SEI or CEI early in the season, would the game still "work behind the scenes to ensure accuracy in league-wide totals," thus perhaps overinflating HR totals of other players? Just wondering...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I don't mess with league modifiers but have always wondered about this, so I'll ask here: In a season where a player or two (think Ruth in the early 1920's?) accounted for a significant percentage of the league-wide HR's, if that player or two were to get an SEI or CEI early in the season, would the game still "work behind the scenes to ensure accuracy in league-wide totals," thus perhaps overinflating HR totals of other players? Just wondering...
Yes, but no one player can make that big of a difference. Even in your scenario, by the time you spread Ruth's 50+ homers around 300 players you only have one extra homer for every fifth or sixth player. Plus pitchers hit at that time, so it is even more diffuse in reality. Sure, they don't really get spread around quite that evenly, but you get the point - it is easy to spread 50 homers around several hundred players.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Yes, but no one player can make that big of a difference. Even in your scenario, by the time you spread Ruth's 50+ homers around 300 players you only have one extra homer for every fifth or sixth player. Plus pitchers hit at that time, so it is even more diffuse in reality. Sure, they don't really get spread around quite that evenly, but you get the point - it is easy to spread 50 homers around several hundred players.
What happens if the DH is added? Would a player like Ruth hit fewer home run, due to the total number of home runs being spread over more hitters?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What happens if the DH is added? Would a player like Ruth hit fewer home run, due to the total number of home runs being spread over more hitters?
Marginally yes, but only if the hitters that DH have significant power rating. If you just turn on the DH in 1921, it probably doesn't change much at all because the other hitters are mostly still line drive hitters.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
If you have the box for automatically adjust league totals checked, you are going to advance year by year. Leave that unchecked if you want things to always stay the same year to year.
I have the box unchecked, however the year still advances. Tried it three times and advancement always occurs, that is, after five seasons the box reads "1962", for example.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
I have the box unchecked, however the year still advances. Tried it three times and advancement always occurs, that is, after five seasons the box reads "1962", for example.
The year changes, but your modifiers shouldn't.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at the modifiers and compare, but you're likely right.

The results I'm getting were a little strange at first (batting stats stable but ERA soared), but the third iteration is in line, so far.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Thanks. I'll take a closer look at the modifiers and compare, but you're likely right.

The results I'm getting were a little strange at first (batting stats stable but ERA soared), but the third iteration is in line, so far.
I used 1976 for the first 5 season of my current random debut league, but after 5 seasons(1982), I found myself getting bored. Starting in 83, I decided to use a dice roll to determine which seasons numbers I will use. Using 1969-1976.