Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Fronzizzle
Minors (Double A)

Minor League Stats - is this normal?

Hello All,

I finally decided to download OOTP 14 (after not having played a sim-type game since Baseball Mogul in...2007? Something like that). Anyway, so far I love the game and how in-depth it is, but I have a question regarding my minor league teams.

I'm playing in a solo league as the GM of the Tigers; I don't do the game managing, just all of the management chores, i.e. setting lineups, making trades, moving players around, etc.

I'm about 3.5 months through my first season. My major league team is doing fine, but my minor league teams...yikes. I'm okay with the teams being bad, but in looking across all of my teams, I feel like the stats are pretty unrealistic.

Between every minor league level (6 teams total), I don't have one starting pitcher with an ERA less than 4, and out of the 30 total starts I only have 2 with an ERA less than 5 and most are greater than 6. It's very similar for the bullpens, almost every one of my pitchers is 5+ ERA. I know ERA isn't the end-all, be-all stat, but most of the peripherals are in line with their ERA.

The counter to this is, I feel like many of my minor league hitters are drastically over-performing. Batting averages and power are slightly high, but almost every hitter has an outstanding on-base percentage. These are not nearly as out of whack as the pitching, just thought I'd bring it up.

I know that in real life, the Tigers minor leagues don't have a ton of talent but at the same time, the numbers I'm seeing are extreme. I've tried recently tried moving some pitchers around (demoting some, moving bullpen guys to the rotation, etc.) with the same results. I've even went as far as signing and/or trading for pitchers that, while not studs, should be able to hold their own in Triple A or Double A but after a few starts, their ERA's are just as high. Just wondering if this is normal for the game or if there is some place I can tweak this. Thanks.
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I forget where they are, but take a look at the league modifiers. Could be something's out of whack there.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

You've still got a bit of a small sample size, but yeah, if you want to tweak it, use the League Total Modifiers (League Menu -> League Setup -> Strategy).
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Mud Hen
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
You've still got a bit of a small sample size, but yeah, if you want to tweak it, use the League Total Modifiers (League Menu -> League Setup -> Strategy).
Which settings would you suggest tweaking?

I've played about the same number of games as Fronzizzle and I'm experiencing the exact same thing with the Cubs. I understand they don't have great minor league pitching but all minor league teams have pitchers with ERA's from 5.00 - 8.00. It seems to exist with most other organizations as well across their minor league systems.

I'm reluctant to make changes based on play thru the end of July but it seems prevalent throughout the minor leagues.
Mud Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Fronzizzle
Minors (Double A)

When I went into the League Modifiers, I found that for MLB there was a checkbox that was checked, it said something like "Change modifiers to create realistic statistics" (forgive me for not having the exact wording, I'm at work right now and don't have access to it).

Anyway, this box was not checked for any of the minor leagues. I went through and checked it for all of the leagues, when I did the modifiers listed changed significantly.

I have since finished my original season as well as 1 more and my results are better but still not great. My Triple A, Double A and Rookie League teams seem much better, but my Single A team had a 7+ ERA during Year 2 despite higher talent on the mound. Not sure why that is.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Mud Hen
Bat Boy

Thanks, I'll give this a try.
Mud Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
slugga27
All Star Starter

Do yourself a favor and check out this thread. Problem solved.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ilb-stats.html
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Fronzizzle
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for that link - I'm excited to see how it works.

This does lead to one more question, though. Once I go through this and set all of the minor league stats, is there a way to "save" those for use in multiple leagues? Or if I start a new league, do I have to enter all of the information again?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Do you manage your minor leagues by yourself or do you have the computer do it? If you do it yourself, maybe some of them just aren't at a good minor league level for them. I have the computer do the minor league promotions/demotions and lineup/rotation settings. All, may be small sample size.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote