Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
AdvocateForLucifer
Bat Boy

Scout consistently rating pitchers low?

This has been ongoing in all of my games so far: I hire a top scout (Tai Ban currently, but in my last it was someone else), and then when the draft comes around I go to check through the ratings. OSA always rates everything high, which I've come to grips with. I don't really trust OSA. I'd like to trust my scouting director.

The problem is that while every year my scout (regardless of who it actually is) will find a few good bats with ***** potential, there isn't even one pitcher above **. The same holds true in the international pool; OSA will have a few ***** pitchers, and the guy I'm paying the big bucks (24m scouting budget) can't find anyone worth a try.
AdvocateForLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Does your scout favor hitters? I'm guessing that's it.

Plus the draft isn't a set breakdown. Some years pitching prospects will be horrible and some years hitters will be. Sometimes you'll get years with tons of good guys and then years with hardly anyone. The worst is when you get multiple years in a row of the same thing but it happens.

What type of league are you playing? MLB, historical, or something custom?
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
AdvocateForLucifer
Bat Boy

My scout favours abilities over tools, but afaik there's no preference for hitters over pitchers (well, other than the ratings being dumb). The main problem is that it's not just in the one league; every scout I've tried has rated the pitchers one way, while OSA rates them the other. And of course those guys have then gone on to be good prospects. Multiple drafts, multiple franchises, different scouts.
AdvocateForLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
ARockieInMaine
Bat Boy

Me too

My scouts never like pitchers very much. I always go by service and scout agreement, then by OSA, then by scout regarding pitchers.

But, I suspect you are not referring to the 'normal' year-in year-out scouting oddities. I suspect you are experiencing something like this: (See photos) And, the scouting accuracy is set to "high". Absolutely nuts. Unacceptable. I can't continue this game without resolving this issue. Please, help.

I am going to submit this as a bug.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by ARockieInMaine; 06-23-2015 at 07:58 AM. Reason: additional comment
ARockieInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
SwedishChef
Minors (Double A)

scouts that favor ability do not rate pitchers highly. just flip between OSA and said scout when drafting, look at stats when promoting in the minors.

the trickier aspect is developing SPs into big league pitchers. i've found that you have to promote them and give them a taste of the big leagues even if they don't appear ready or they'll completely fizzle if you expect them to make leaps and bounds in the minors. even then, it takes years for a guy to be a competent SP. never an out of the box sure thing like a Jose Fernandez
SwedishChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #6
marc5477
Minors (Double A)

I dont see any problem with this. Pitchers from the minors usually suck and dont develop until well into their mid 20s. Hitters almost always have inflated stats in high school and college.

If your scout prefers stats (abilities) then this is accurate because pitchers usually have bad stats at that age with very few exceptions who usually end up busting since they rely too much on 1 pitch (and arm power) when they were young. This stops working in higher level leagues so they end up sucking in the minors and almost never reach majors.

You want a scout that favors tools but that has its pitfalls too like overrating players (similar to OSA). Its better to learn how to use your scout than to hire a scout that fits into your mold. Ultimately you will have to adjust to a tools scout anyway.

Last edited by marc5477; 07-01-2015 at 04:39 AM.
marc5477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
PCCP
Bat Boy

This is definitely a bug.

I have had this happen for the second year in a row in my draft. My scout highly favors ability and has an outstanding reputation. But to have 4 1/2 star and 5 star pitching prospects ALL show up as 1/2 star is ridiculous, especially when I have done different teams and those same pitchers show up more normalized

Idk if it affects international free agents half way through the year as well.
PCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
PCCP
Bat Boy

I JUST DOUBLE CHECKED I HAVE THE EXACT SAME SCOUT ON THE ROCKIES WHERE I'M HAVING THIS PROBLEM.

I think it should be dubbed the Bill Schmidt Bug
PCCP is offline   Reply With Quote