Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Rookie League Management Question

How do you manage near 100 players in your minor's Rookie league? Sure, you can discard a few 1/2 Star Potential players, especially if they're 20 or 21 and some will be ready for Rookie+ ball, but that still leaves ya with a ton of players. How do you manage to get 4 or 5 guys at each position some legit playing time? I don't care about winning games in the Rookie league nearly as much as I want to get my 21 yrs. old & younger guys experience so they can move on to Rookie+ without having a wasted Rookie season.

So, what do you guys do with your Rookie and/or Rookie+ players to get innings and swings in?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Everyone has their own system. Some just leave it up to the AI and worry about who shows up on their AAA team. Some do periodic reviews of all their players at lets say the beginning, right before ammy draft, halfway point and end of season and decide to move them up or not. For me I set the AI to handle minors and only focus on the high value prospects and disable AI promotion for them so it lets me manage a smaller pop and let the AI handle the ones that are just a guy. As far as playing time as long as you have it set for minor league managers to play players based on potential your studs will play but if there is a conflict of two or more studs at same position on same team I will move one or even change their position.

Last edited by andyhdz; 03-26-2020 at 09:11 PM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:49 AM   #3
Mat
All Star Reserve

Promote or release. I only need about 30-35 players on each rookie team.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
As far as playing time as long as you have it set for minor league managers to play players based on potential your studs will play but if there is a conflict of two or more studs at same position on same team I will move one or even change their position.
Oh wow...Do you remember how to set it so AI plays minor leaguers based on Potential? I didn't even know that was possible. I assumed they would try to always pick the best lineup possible but does that mean they're using best current ratings or best potential ratings?
Old 03-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
Mat
All Star Reserve

Go to LEAGUE SETTINGS > RULES

(left hand side near the bottom of the page)
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I setup roster limits and service times based upon real milb.

That helps a lot.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Promote or release. I only need about 30-35 players on each rookie team.
In the first in-game season I ever played, I was trying to keep my two BC Leagues at no more than 40 players, but it seemed like new people would appear out of the blue. Who knows? I was very excited but also extremely intimidated by the size and scope of ootp. I could be misremembering the seemingly growing number of BC Level players.

It's embarrassing to admit, but it's the truth...It took me halfway through my second season before I realized that I could click: MLB > Major League Baseball > (Select a league one of my farm clubs is in) and then click MLB again > League Settings > Rules where I could actually set a Roster size limit or age limit, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post

That helps a lot.
Would you happen to remember those numbers off the top of your head or do you remember where you got that information? The closer to reality I can make something, the better, in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
In the first in-game season I ever played, I was trying to keep my two BC Leagues at no more than 40 players, but it seemed like new people would appear out of the blue. Who knows? I was very excited but also extremely intimidated by the size and scope of ootp. I could be misremembering the seemingly growing number of BC Level players.

It's embarrassing to admit, but it's the truth...It took me halfway through my second season before I realized that I could click: MLB > Major League Baseball > (Select a league one of my farm clubs is in) and then click MLB again > League Settings > Rules where I could actually set a Roster size limit or age limit, etc.

Would you happen to remember those numbers off the top of your head or do you remember where you got that information? The closer to reality I can make something, the better, in my opinion.
Stay away from setting roster size the lower you get in the minor leagues. This can result in recently drafted players being released.

Focus more on service time and age limits.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:28 AM   #9
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Right from MiLB

https://www.milb.com/about/faqs-business#19

I never had a problem with any high draft picks being cut. However I also don't play longer then 10-15 years in a universe. Will draft picks not make the organization? Absolutely. Usually lower round guys who are fighting with scouting discoveries and other type players.

Will the player/ai eventually have to make tough decisions? Yes. All those international guys if they are in the minor leagues there clock is running. Say you promote someone at 16 to minors. Unless they are a super star they might not develop in time to play in AA or AAA and they will too many years of service for A+ ball. So yeah those guys have to be cut.

But I also recommend turning all the international and indy leagues on. These guys will find places to play. Maybe they develop overseas and make their way back to the MLB.

Will someone that becomes an all star be cut at some point? Absolutely but this happens in real life. Even if you get a highschooler at 18 he might not develop by 22 and if he can't play A+ or AA then he has to get cut. He can still develop and maybe he goes with another team and becomes a super star at 26.

To me that is baseball. Can't have room for everyone.

But ever player is different so you have to find out what you like. You might even need a throw away season to learn what sort of settigns and setup stuff you like

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 03-29-2020 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Right from MiLB

https://www.milb.com/about/faqs-business#19

I never had a problem with any high draft picks being cut. However I also don't play longer then 10-15 years in a universe. Will draft picks not make the organization? Absolutely. Usually lower round guys who are fighting with scouting discoveries and other type players.

Will the player/ai eventually have to make tough decisions? Yes. All those international guys if they are in the minor leagues there clock is running. Say you promote someone at 16 to minors. Unless they are a super star they might not develop in time to play in AA or AAA and they will too many years of service for A+ ball. So yeah those guys have to be cut.

But I also recommend turning all the international and indy leagues on. These guys will find places to play. Maybe they develop overseas and make their way back to the MLB.

Will someone that becomes an all star be cut at some point? Absolutely but this happens in real life. Even if you get a highschooler at 18 he might not develop by 22 and if he can't play A+ or AA then he has to get cut. He can still develop and maybe he goes with another team and becomes a super star at 26.

To me that is baseball. Can't have room for everyone.

But ever player is different so you have to find out what you like. You might even need a throw away season to learn what sort of settigns and setup stuff you like
Everything you just wrote is exactly why I was so instantly attracted to OOTP. The realism of the overall baseball universe with such diverse leagues...making tough decisions on kids with promise, foreign league talent that needs to be scouted. It feels so real to me! I don't have any other leagues running at the moment. I have 2 months' ootp experience and I'm having difficulties with just MLB & the farm teams. Fortunately, some of those difficulties are vanishing at a good pace, so I'm sure I'll be ready to let it grow very soon.

One bit of confusion regarding the minor league information from https://www.milb.com/about/faqs-business#19 - Some of the middle minor leagues mention rosters of 25 Active, 35 Players under control. Okay. That's easy enough to understand. However, we don't have the ability to do that in ootp, right? So, do you set a player roster limit of 25 or 35 in ootp for those few leagues or do you set your own custom number? Also, the lowest leagues say 35 Active, but there is no mention of additional players under their control. In real life, do those types of leagues allow teams to have more than 35 but only 35 are Active and allowed to participate in games? Or is it a strict limit of 35 and that's it? I have almost 90 in my lowest tier right now and I have no intention of changing it very much for the time being, but I'm curious how OOTP Veterans, like you guys, setup the Roster limits of their lowest tier farm clubs.

As always, thanks!
Old 03-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #11
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

I kind of split the difference. A- I do 35. For A and A+ I do 30.

Basically total roster size isn't more than 35 in real life except their is a thing called "for future service" that doesn't count certain players as being active. It's this weird baseball rule thing.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That helps a lot.

I do as well. If you do this though, you are probably going to want to play with independent leagues and maybe a few international leagues as well.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I kind of split the difference. A- I do 35. For A and A+ I do 30.

Basically total roster size isn't more than 35 in real life except their is a thing called "for future service" that doesn't count certain players as being active. It's this weird baseball rule thing.
I do wish they would implement this.....where you could have X amount of players on a roster, but only Y are active. This would be great for minor leagues as well as some international leagues.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I do as well. If you do this though, you are probably going to want to play with independent leagues and maybe a few international leagues as well.

Absolutely that's a must
Old 03-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #15
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Hmmm...I've been reading this in a lot of threads I'm participating in. A few nights ago, I started a new test game just to mess around using multiple leagues and feeder leagues like HS & College. It was a disaster, but I did learn some things. Is there any issue with turning on Ind. & Int. Leagues five seasons into my saved game? Any chance at all that something might get screwed up? I will do a full backup, of course, but I'm more worried about things unseen, like calculation errors, lost players or anything goofy like that. Also, while messing around, I noticed a button, I think it was (?), for an affiliated league. If I were to enable the International & Independent leagues do I need to do anything besides creating them? An affiliated league would only be something like a AAA, AA, etc., right? Only USA minor leagues are "affiliated" with MLB teams, in real life. Have I got that right?

I didn't do a very good job at managing my minor leagues during the first 2.5 seasons. In fact, it was beyond terrible and I ruined several prospects in the process. But the worst part, in my mind, is I didn't pay attention to a player's age vs. his professional service time, so I had 26 & 27-year-old pitchers kicking buttocks...but, it was at the A or A+ level. LOL I've been doing my best to weed out those players, but sometimes it's easier said than done...especially since I totally screwed up my first-year players draft in season four and ended up without a single new player. Don't ask... LOL