Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #121
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I play with both player development (on default settings) and recalc (5-year double weighted, Real Stats, Remaining Years of Career for Potential Ratings, Entire Career for both fielding ratings and pitching stamina) on. This allows studs to be studs (and duds to be duds) until their RL stats run out, and then it's anyone's guess what's going to happen. Players do fall off a cliff all the time IRL. I want the stars to be stars of course, but I also want to see what happens when the player development system takes over. I've even seen Kershaw crash and burn once his numbers ran out. Before that he won back-to-back-to-back Walter Johnson awards, and then something happened. Who knows what, but you can make up your own story for that. To contrast with that, I had some cat named Leo Kavanagh go from dud to stud. I would maintain that that happens IRL more than we might think (Donaldson, Bautista, Encarnacion etc etc etc). Maybe Kavanagh figured stuff out for himself after his age 19 season, and put it all together. For me playing with recalc and development on is the best of both worlds.

What is your take on having both Player Development and Recalc on? Do you think recalc basically overrides player development (PD) until the player gets to the point of being past the end of his actual career? Basically until his actual MLB career ended? Or does PD do other things, even though recalc is on?

From my observation with both turned on, I think PD might also "step in" and cause some guys to retire earlier than they actually did (usually a season or two earlier). Or it may cause some guys who actually played to they were 43 or 44 retire at 39 and I have to go in and unretire these guys every offseason. This happened even when I had Player Aging Speed setting set at .5, which is supposed to allow "players [to maintain] their ...skills much later in their careers."
warneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #122
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warneke View Post
What is your take on having both Player Development and Recalc on? Do you think recalc basically overrides player development (PD) until the player gets to the point of being past the end of his actual career? Basically until his actual MLB career ended? Or does PD do other things, even though recalc is on?

From my observation with both turned on, I think PD might also "step in" and cause some guys to retire earlier than they actually did (usually a season or two earlier). Or it may cause some guys who actually played to they were 43 or 44 retire at 39 and I have to go in and unretire these guys every offseason. This happened even when I had Player Aging Speed setting set at .5, which is supposed to allow "players [to maintain] their ...skills much later in their careers."
I don't think PD messes with recalc, and I do think recalc is in charge while the player has stats to draw from, but after that PD would take over. I confess that I might be talking out of my ass on that one, because I honestly don't know the answer. I guess we'd have to ask someone who knows a little about what's under the hood (on this particular topic of course ). I wonder if the players you're talking about were Sucky McSuckersons in the final years of their careers and therefore the AI wouldn't bite on them in free agency, and they gave up and decided to retire. Or did they have injuries that forced them to retire? You'd know better than me in both cases because it happened in your game

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 10:51 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #123
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Another year (1904) is in the books. As usual, here are the final standings (in two parts), final batting stats, and final pitching stats:
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 05-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #124
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think PD messes with recalc, and I do think recalc is in charge while the player has stats to draw from, but after that PD would take over. I confess that I might be talking out of my ass on that one, because I honestly don't know the answer. I guess we'd have to ask someone who knows a little about what's under the hood (on this particular topic of course ). I wonder if the players you're talking about were Sucky McSuckersons in the final years of their careers and therefore the AI wouldn't bite on them in free agency, and they gave up and decided to retire. Or did they have injuries that forced them to retire? You'd know better than me in both cases because it happened in your game
I think we may disagree on this one. I think player development effects all players, not just those out of recalc years. After OOTP runs recalc, I don't think the game knows day to day a recalc player from a non recalc player. Like you said though, I don't know the official answer. Recalc players get pulled back to real life, so the player development bumps may be less noticeable or shorter lived, but I think they happen. Again "I think" is the key.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #125
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another year (1904) is in the books. As usual, here are the final standings (in two parts), final batting stats, and final pitching stats:
Players from the batting stats list headed to free agency: John Vander Wal 1B/LF/RF, Dustin Pedroia 2B, Phil Cavarretta 1B/LF/CF/RF

Players from the pitching stats list headed to free agency: Toad Ramsey LHSP, Madison Bumgarner LHSP, Hooks Dauss RHSP, Wes Ferrell RHSP, Jacob deGrom RHSP, Preacher Roe LHSP, Brett Tomko RHSP

Old 05-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #126
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I think we may disagree on this one. I think player development effects all players, not just those out of recalc years. After OOTP runs recalc, I don't think the game knows day to day a recalc player from a non recalc player. Like you said though, I don't know the official answer. Recalc players get pulled back to real life, so the player development bumps may be less noticeable or shorter lived, but I think they happen. Again "I think" is the key.
That's a possibility I hadn't considered. So you're saying whenever the ratings come in for the season ahead is where recalc happens, and after that player development takes over until recalc happens again the next year. That could be. Certainly might explain why Ken Griffey Jr was kind of dogpoop in my OOTP16 game. He was outdone by his father, both of whom were taken in the Inaugural Draft.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #127
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's a possibility I hadn't considered. So you're saying whenever the ratings come in for the season ahead is where recalc happens, and after that player development takes over until recalc happens again the next year. That could be. Certainly might explain why Ken Griffey Jr was kind of dogpoop in my OOTP16 game. He was outdone by his father, both of whom were taken in the Inaugural Draft.
Yes, that's my belief. One of the reasons I think this is so, is if you create a "single season replay" league, the game default to "disable player development" and the game recommends this for "replay leagues." I think it does so, because if you leave development on, players can that hit and or get bumps.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #128
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

Waite Hoyt just had a carrer-ending injury (thanks to PD) in mid-September 1935 (age 36). He was 18-14 at the time, with the NYY; he had won 19 games each of the previous two seasons. In real life he pitched into 1939. So that is one example that just happened. I don't think that would happen with PD off.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #129
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Waite Hoyt just had a carrer-ending injury (thanks to PD) in mid-September 1935 (age 36). He was 18-14 at the time, with the NYY; he had won 19 games each of the previous two seasons. In real life he pitched into 1939. So that is one example that just happened. I don't think that would happen with PD off.

If you have injuries enabled, career ending injuries will happen. If you disable player development, but have injuries turned on, career ending injuries will happen.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #130
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
If you have injuries enabled, career ending injuries will happen. If you disable player development, but have injuries turned on, career ending injuries will happen.

That doesn't make sense; if you are playing a *historical* league with recalc on and PD off. I thought recalc overrode the CEI thing. At least I have never noticed CEI injuries in many replays I've done with PD off. I am used to players playing well past their actual season that ended their real life career (think Koufax, etc).

Last edited by warneke; 05-29-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #131
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

[QUOTE=warneke;4329764]That doesn't make sense; if you are playing a *historical* league with recalc on and PD off. I thought recalc overrode the CEI thing. At least I have never noticed CEI injuries in many replays I've done with PD off. I am used to players playing well past their actual season that ended their real life career (think Koufax, etc).[/QUOTE

Yes, Koufax will play past his final season with player development off. In fact, he should be a monster seeing that recalc will make him that 27-9 1.79 pitcher year after year after year.

Recalc is run one time a year. If an injury occurs that is deemed a career ender, there is no way that recalc can save him.

This is why when you choose to play with real transactions/real lineups, injuries are turned off by default. Instead the game has uses players miss seasons and retire according to history.

Last edited by David Watts; 05-29-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #132
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll echo what David Watts said, along with this. The thing you need to look at is the injuries.txt file within the database folder. You can edit out all the career enders by switching the career ending possibility bool (something like that - it's the fourth column I think) from "1" to "0". I think there are about ten of them in the file. That won't completely eliminate career ending injuries, as setbacks in returns from injury can still happen and result in a player's career being over (I lost Koufax that way in my OOTP16 RDL). It should drastically cut down on them though.

Recalc without PD definitely cannot prevent career enders from happening, just like it can't prevent injuries from happening. If a player can get injured, a player can have his career ended by said injury, even if you do the editing that I suggested. While I'm on the topic, keep storylines off too, so Babe Ruth doesn't get a spiritual awakening and wander off to become a Buddhist monk in the Himalayas or whatever else they can dream up.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-29-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #133
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See, the way I do almost all my replays, a kat like Leo Kavanagh (11 life time at bats) would have never made it past my own draft policing. I laboriously go through the draft class each year and delete coffee cup players. The only time I don't is the rare time I am trying a league that mixes real life teams and fictional teams.

Edit: And Kavanagh and other cup of coffee guys are why I wish that the Adjust/Weaken function worked for more than just the first season of replays.
Yep. Guilty as charged. I'm a bit of a softy, and very inclusive with my leagues. Ya got me. It's also the reason I play with players from 1871 through 2017. I just can't bring myself to exclude anyone.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-29-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #134
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep. Guilty as charged. I'm a bit of a softy, and very inclusive with my leagues. Ya got me. It's also the reason I play with players from 1871 through 2017. I just can't bring myself to exclude anyone.
Okay, this is actually in regards to the post you quoted. Is it true that the adjust/weaken feature only works for the first season of replays? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #135
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, this is actually in regards to the post you quoted. Is it true that the adjust/weaken feature only works for the first season of replays? Thanks.
I have no earthly idea. Are we keeping a running list of questions we need to ask Markus or someone in the know?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #136
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have no earthly idea. Are we keeping a running list of questions we need to ask Markus or someone in the know?
I guess so. I know you can't edit the adjust/weaken at anytime other than setup, but I always thought the setup setting were tied into yearly recalc. Could play this game a thousand years and still have mysteries.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #137
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess so. I know you can't edit the adjust/weaken at anytime other than setup, but I always thought the setup setting were tied into yearly recalc. Could play this game a thousand years and still have mysteries.
You can't edit the adjust/weaken other than when in setup, that is correct. However, you can also select the settings you want when you import historical players (like say from the Spritze database), but you can only do it for said players.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #138
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Has anyone had Jim Whitney in their leagues?
I had never heard of him but he is doing well in my league.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #139
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Has anyone had Jim Whitney in their leagues?
I had never heard of him but he is doing well in my league.
Ah yes. "Grasshopper Jim". Used to run into him all the time when I would play historical leagues starting in 1871. He'll be the bomb because he's a 19th century starting pitcher. Expect a few Cy Young (or in my case Walter Johnson) Awards. Those 19th century guys are beasts in HRD.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #140
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Who are your Negro Leaguers in the draft this year?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote