Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
Citybob
Bat Boy

Picking off runners

Hi,
I like to play out each game and it's September and I have yet to pick off a single runner, though the AI has managed to pick off several of mine. Does it ever happen or am I just having absurd luck? Thanks.
Citybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citybob View Post
Hi,
I like to play out each game and it's September and I have yet to pick off a single runner, though the AI has managed to pick off several of mine. Does it ever happen or am I just having absurd luck? Thanks.
It DOES happen. I've managed to pick off a few runners this year. Most of my pitchers admittedly don't have the best "hold" ratings so I wind up throwing over to first more than a pitcher with an excellent hold rating. From my experience, if you keep throwing over there, it tends to keep most runners at bay. Not always, but most of the time.
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
JMDurron
All Star Starter

It does happen, but quite rarely. Sometimes I expect so little of my pickoff attempts that I don't even realize until the inning ends "early" that I actually succeeded.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
It does happen, but quite rarely. Sometimes I expect so little of my pickoff attempts that I don't even realize until the inning ends "early" that I actually succeeded.
Yeah, me too.

Or occasionally my catcher will throw to first - and surprise me by catching someone once in a while. I am so not expecting this to happen that I have to notice the "missing" base runner to realize what happened.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

it definitely happens... I don't actively play-out the games, but I watch every game in 3D mode... see plenty of pickoff attempts (sometimes 5-6 in a row), and a decent amount successful... (like my stupid runner on 2nd with 1 out in the bottom of the 9th when we're down by 1 run.... and the batter subsequently hits a double on the next pitch; followed by a strikeout to end the game.... *sigh*)
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
jokr29
Bat Boy

How does hold work as far as picking runners off? Isnt that determined by his arm rating? I get alot of pickoffs usually
jokr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Greenbay
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Hi,
Like others have said it does happen, but rarely. I would estimate 10 of my runners get picked off for every one I get. Sometimes I have a totally slow runner who isn't even trying to steal get picked off. That is really upsetting. Some pitchers have much better pick off moves than others, Verlander and Clayton Richards are a couple that I have had success with. In the real game pick offs seem to be happening less.
Greenbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Really

Quote:
Hi,
Don't know how much attention this question really needs. Real life game I watched this week, both teams combined for 53 unsuccessfull pick off attempts. For something so random at least a 5 year sample should be used.
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Amusingly, after posting in here, one of my pitchers picked off two runners in the same inning in one of my games. It may not be a coincidence that this particular pitcher has the highest pitcher fielding ratings of my 5 starters, but I haven't really been looking at this issue in-depth to see if there's any real correlation.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
james17
All Star Starter

In my fictional league, if a Pitcher has a Hold value of 90 or greater, he can pick off opposing players with very low stealing ability. It's probably an exploit, but if I attempt a pick off 10 or so straight times, I usually get the runner. Now as the pitcher's Hold value drops, it becomes more likely, it seems, to then generate a pitcher's error while attempting a pick off.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #11
KentCol
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Hi,
Nope, happens to me constantly. My guys pick off maybe 1 in 50 and mine runners get picked off all the time.
KentCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #12
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Hi,
Try throwing over when the runner on first base is a 3B. I am totally not kidding. I can't pick off anybody but thirdbasemen, but I can pick off a lot of them. Try it and see if I am wrong.

By the same token, keep track of how many of your players who get picked off are rated for 3B. You will be surprised.

Last edited by JohnHoward; 08-23-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
curt
Major Leagues

I have a couple of lefties, one has a great hold rating. He can pick off a runner every 5-6 starts or so. I don't get picked off too much but occasionally one of my guys gets caught sleeping. I have only seen a catcher pick off a runner at first maybe twice in two seasons.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote