Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Veracity
Minors (Single A)

Sound?

Is there supposed to be sound when you are watching a game?

I am playing the trial version and still deciding whether to purchase. I am watching my first game and everything is silent. Where are the crowd sounds and the crack of the bat? Either I am doing something wrong or this is an incredible oversite.

What, if anything, do I do to enable sound in the broadcast?

Thanks!
Veracity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately, v2007 has no sound. Sorry.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Why have sound when all it would do is drown out my fiancee yelling at me to get away from the computer?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
Why have sound when all it would do is drown out my fiancee yelling at me to get away from the computer?
Oh, I hear ya.

"Are you going to do your 'baseball thing' again tonight?"

Why, yes. Yes, I am.

LOL

cbbl
cbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Neags23
All Star Starter

My girlfriend had the nerve to call me obsessed the other day!
Neags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

IIRC, Markus plans to implement sound in v2008. If and when he does, he wants to do it right. Personally, I think sound will make the game experience more immersive. Baseball is associated with certain sounds, like it or not: the crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd, vendors, hecklers, organ, etc. I hope we don't have to wait much longer for sound to return in OOTP.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
zekester91
All Star Starter

I personaly hope sound doesn't come back, it's already a heafty 71+ meg download. do we really need an extra say 20 or 30 megs just on something a quarter of us will turn off, another 3rd will never use as they don't play out games....
zekester91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
WrightWing
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester91 View Post
I personaly hope sound doesn't come back, it's already a heafty 71+ meg download. do we really need an extra say 20 or 30 megs just on something a quarter of us will turn off, another 3rd will never use as they don't play out games....
Or that will cause problems on the systems of users that don't want the feature anyway. Kinda like FaceGen...
WrightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightWing View Post
Or that will cause problems on the systems of users that don't want the feature anyway. Kinda like FaceGen...
Ummm, if you look at any past release of OOTP, with sound or without, with facegen or without, certain people have always had issues running or installing the game. It never fails. If ootp consisted of one line of code, I'd bet any amount of money that at least one person would have a problem running it.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
zekester91
All Star Starter

Quote:
Ummm, if you look at any past release of OOTP, with sound or without, with facegen or without, certain people have always had issues running or installing the game. It never fails. If ootp consisted of one line of code, I'd bet any amount of money that at least one person would have a problem running it.
while this is true, the more complex things you add into the game, sound, facegen, the more problems your going to have. Facegen was worth the % of people that need to buy new computers, I'd go get a new graphics card for facegen, but sound expecally since it become repetive and anoying over time would not be.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
WrightWing
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The difference being that FaceGen, like sound, is not in any way necessary to play the game properly...
Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

I want sound! I would like to have some ambiance!!!!!! For me sound in 6.5 made playing out the games that much more fun.

Last edited by ashantewarrier; 04-11-2007 at 05:27 PM.
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester91 View Post
Using this logic . . .

if one-third of OOTPers dislike the scouting system and turn it off, we really should not include it as a feature.

if one-third of OOTPers prefer historical to fictional leagues, we really should get rid of Lahman DB import capabilities.

if one-third of OOTPers run multi-year sims, we really should not devote resources to developing this part of the game.

if one-third of OOTPers turn off financials, we should remove that entirely as an option.

The marvel of OOTP is that it allows users to play the game in so many different ways with an assortment of options. Maybe Markus will allow that part of the game (i.e., audio) to be customized by users, too.

I know many people have expressed interest in having sound return to OOTP as an option. Why begrudge them that option? Other baseball sims include sound without having it create all kinds of hardware-related problems. I'll bet it's doable in OOTP, too.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
Veracity
Minors (Single A)

How can a game get such high reviews -- like a 5 out of 5 at Gamespot -- when it is missing an entire production element? I have played OOTP in the past and love the game. But now I'm thinking I should give Mogul another look. I don't know if I can pay $35 for a baseball game without MLB rosters or sound.
Veracity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #15
Neags23
All Star Starter

If it'll make you buy the game, I'll come to your house and do the pbp for your games. I'll even make crowd noises and smack of the bat noises like in Bull Durham.

Really, if you think about it, the sound would be nice for about a week. After that, you're going to get sick of it and turn it off and listen to music or a ball game in the background or something.
Neags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #16
zekester91
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Using this logic . . .

if one-third of OOTPers dislike the scouting system and turn it off, we really should not include it as a feature.

if one-third of OOTPers prefer historical to fictional leagues, we really should get rid of Lahman DB import capabilities.

if one-third of OOTPers run multi-year sims, we really should not devote resources to developing this part of the game.

if one-third of OOTPers turn off financials, we should remove that entirely as an option.

The marvel of OOTP is that it allows users to play the game in so many different ways with an assortment of options. Maybe Markus will allow that part of the game (i.e., audio) to be customized by users, too.

I know many people have expressed interest in having sound return to OOTP as an option. Why begrudge them that option? Other baseball sims include sound without having it create all kinds of hardware-related problems. I'll bet it's doable in OOTP, too.
the diffrents between the above option and sound is that sounds going to make the file size and the programs footprint a lot bigger. If Markus wants to put out two diffrent files, one with sound and one without so that those of us that don't want sound don't have the extra space wasted, I'm all for it.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #17
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neags23 View Post
My girlfriend had the nerve to call me obsessed the other day!
This is why you get your significant other hooked on a game, assuming you have separate computers. It worked for me. With the amount of WoW my wife plays, she can't say a word to me about the games I play.

As a side benefit, her being busy killing murlocs and such means she rarely watches TV, so it's all sports all the time in my house.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #18
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightWing View Post
The difference being that FaceGen, like sound, is not in any way necessary to play the game properly...
correct, but both potentially increase the immersion factor which is not something you ignore
Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #19
WrightWing
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
How can a game get such high reviews -- like a 5 out of 5 at Gamespot -- when it is missing an entire production element? I have played OOTP in the past and love the game. But now I'm thinking I should give Mogul another look. I don't know if I can pay $35 for a baseball game without MLB rosters or sound.
The game gets high reviews because it is a *great* game, in spite of no sound. Rosters are a piece of cake with the Lahman database, or any of the other modified sets people here have done. I'm not gonna bad-mouth Mogul except to say that I don't think it measures up to OOTP.

My anal-retentive side likes to poke at things I think needn't be there or that I would like to see included. And no it's not perfect, but I cannot imagine playing a different game. If you loved past versions of OOTP, I can't fathom how you would be disappointed in 2007...
Old 04-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
Because it is great at what it is supposed to be great at. For a text sim, sound really is not important. Is it nice? yes, but not important (I should say to most)

Maybe you should take another look at mogul if you want sound and real rosters. But if you decide you want the best text based baseball simulator with the ability for real rosters. We'll be here.