Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
The_Niddler
Major Leagues

OOTP21 and Scouting

I wanted to reach out here first to see if anyone else is experiencing what myself and a few others in my league are experiencing.

Anyone else having an issue with the scouting accuracy?

I did several scouting reports so that everyone on my ML squad was High or Very High accuracy once my scout was done scouting everyone.

Now, after the update and pull in the new file, only 3 players are high and everyone else is Average or low.

This has happened to others in my league as well.
One stated: I scouted 3 payers in particular that were only average or high. They were scouted and all changed to high or v.high...noticed today all three were now average or low.... WTF?

Is this a bug with OOTP21?

Once a guy is scouted, they shouldn't lose that scouting on the player.

Hope to hear something back about this.
The_Niddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How much time has gone by since these players were scouted and are these veteran players or younger prospects?

My understanding is veteran players who are scouted at higher levels tend to keep those high level reports and younger players you would need to keep scouting as those reports would change over time and become less accurate as they progress/regress.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
The_Niddler
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
How much time has gone by since these players were scouted and are these veteran players or younger prospects?

My understanding is veteran players who are scouted at higher levels tend to keep those high level reports and younger players you would need to keep scouting as those reports would change over time and become less accurate as they progress/regress.
It is a mixture.
I have a C, 29 years old, I just scouted him 1 week ago in game and he is at a low.
2B, 27 years old, scouted 1 week ago, he is at a low.
3B, 26 and 28 years old, scouted 1 week ago, they are at average.
Then I have some younger prospects that were scouted 1 month ago in game, it is our offseason, so not much developing going on right now and they are now average and were high to very high.

I get that the scouting accuracy would change over time as the players progress/regress, but I would think 2 things, 1, it would have to be during the time when they are playing ball and actually progressing/regressing and 2, that 1 month in game would not change it this much.

I do appreciate you responding.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I pulled this out of the manual. (I'm trying to get a grasp on the new scouting system as well)

Scouting Accuracy

The accuracy of player scouting depends on a number of factors:

• Your scouting director's ratings in the appropriate area
  • Your Scouting Budget in the appropriate area
  • The age of the player (older = more accurate reports)
  • How many times this scouting team has scouted the player
  • Whether the player is in your organization or not (in your organization = higher accuracy)

In general, this means that the longer you have the same team in place, the better your scouting will become, with better scouts with bigger budgets producing more accurate results. Older players and players in your organization are also easier to scout.

Additionally, you can affect the accuracy of scouts in your saved game globally. This can be done in the Game Options page.

Scouting Settings

Scouting Settings allows you to change the way the game's scouting systems operate in your game.
OptionDescription Use Complete Scouting System If this box is checked, OOTP's scouting system will be in use. If scouts are turned off, all player ratings and potential values you see in the game will be the actual values. Scouting Accuracy This allows you to select how accurate scouts are in your game world. This can be set from very low to very high. There is also an option called "100% accurate." This option is specifically for use by people who really don't want to deal with scouting, but still want the the game to periodically generate newly-scouted players. Scouting Report Updates This allows you to determine how often player scouting reports are updated: monthly, bi-monthly, or only at the start and end of the season. Report History This allows you to determine how many scouting reports are retained for each player: all of them, one per season, or none at all. Reports of Retired Players This allows you to determine whether or not scouting reports are retained or deleted when the player retires.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

It’s probably because you are in the off-season.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
The_Niddler
Major Leagues

Quote:
I pulled this out of the manual. (I'm trying to get a grasp on the new scouting system as well)

Scouting Accuracy

The accuracy of player scouting depends on a number of factors:

• Your scouting director's ratings in the appropriate area
  • Your Scouting Budget in the appropriate area
  • The age of the player (older = more accurate reports)
  • How many times this scouting team has scouted the player
  • Whether the player is in your organization or not (in your organization = higher accuracy)

In general, this means that the longer you have the same team in place, the better your scouting will become, with better scouts with bigger budgets producing more accurate results. Older players and players in your organization are also easier to scout.

Additionally, you can affect the accuracy of scouts in your saved game globally. This can be done in the Game Options page.

Scouting Settings

Scouting Settings allows you to change the way the game's scouting systems operate in your game.
OptionDescription Use Complete Scouting System If this box is checked, OOTP's scouting system will be in use. If scouts are turned off, all player ratings and potential values you see in the game will be the actual values. Scouting Accuracy This allows you to select how accurate scouts are in your game world. This can be set from very low to very high. There is also an option called "100% accurate." This option is specifically for use by people who really don't want to deal with scouting, but still want the the game to periodically generate newly-scouted players. Scouting Report Updates This allows you to determine how often player scouting reports are updated: monthly, bi-monthly, or only at the start and end of the season. Report History This allows you to determine how many scouting reports are retained for each player: all of them, one per season, or none at all. Reports of Retired Players This allows you to determine whether or not scouting reports are retained or deleted when the player retires.
Thank you so much for this information.
I appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
The_Niddler
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
It’s probably because you are in the off-season.
Why would this change the length of time that the scouting accuracy stays at Average, high, very high, etc.?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Niddler View Post
Why would this change the length of time that the scouting accuracy stays at Average, high, very high, etc.?

The information is probably not as accurate as it was doing the season.

There is no scouting going on but players are still progressing or regressing.

Just because a guy is 30 years old doesn’t mean his report should be static at a accuracy. He could be regressing and needs reevaluating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
The_Niddler
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
The information is probably not as accurate as it was doing the season.

There is no scouting going on but players are still progressing or regressing.

Just because a guy is 30 years old doesn’t mean his report should be static at a accuracy. He could be regressing and needs reevaluating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No offense sir, but I am looking for data that backs up why this is happening, not a guess or a hunch.
I want developers to respond, like Markus or Lukas and tell us why this is happening.

To say it is probably not as accurate, I want them to tell us that is how they have it programmed.
I love OOTP and completely respect Markus and Lukas and everyone else at OOTP, but sometimes, I scratch my head at some of the things they come up with.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #10
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No offense sir, but I am looking for data that backs up why this is happening, not a guess or a hunch.
I want developers to respond, like Markus or Lukas and tell us why this is happening.

To say it is probably not as accurate, I want them to tell us that is how they have it programmed.
I love OOTP and completely respect Markus and Lukas and everyone else at OOTP, but sometimes, I scratch my head at some of the things they come up with.
It’s not a guess or a hunch. Accuracy degrades over time.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #11
atlbrave1
Minors (Triple A)

Have you double checked that it isn’t the OSA scouting rather than head scout? I had something similar only to realize OSA scout was selected. Changed back to my scout and the accuracy was back.
atlbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #12
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, offense partially taken. No offense. People will offer viewpoints, and their efforts shoudn't be disparaged . Title your post Markus: or Developers: and you might limit the responses, or PM them if no one else matters. Just a hunch, though.

Last edited by endgame; 04-02-2020 at 07:03 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #13
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

People have posted so much rubbish on here because of hunches and it’s not productive or helpful. Get data to back it up or don’t comment imo.
greenOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenOak View Post
People have posted so much rubbish on here because of hunches and it’s not productive or helpful. Get data to back it up or don’t comment imo.
That's narrow minded don't you think? The great thing about this forum is hearing people's thoughts on game concepts.

The developers sometimes don't respond to every thread, so what's wrong with people commenting and trying to help?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #15
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
That's narrow minded don't you think? The great thing about this forum is hearing peoples thoughts on game concepts.

The developers sometimes don't respond to every thread, so what's wrong with people commenting and trying to help?
Well you should at least admit when its a blind guess. What happens though is that people make all sorts of claims about how game mechanics work that are not true, and then they become standard advice.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #16
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well you should at least admit when its a blind guess. What happens though is that people make all sorts of claims about how game mechanics work that are not true, and then they become standard advice.
What’s not true?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #17
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could get the "too many balks", "too many wild pitches", "too many-too few of my favorite stat in OOTP" crowd to follow this advice?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #18
greenOak
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we could get the "too many balks", "too many wild pitches", "too many-too few of my favorite stat in OOTP" crowd to follow this advice?
Yes it would. Your point?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #19
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not to be a dick here- well, okay kinda but just in the spirit of things -have you measured whether those claims have become standard advice, or are you simply inferring the go-to for uninformed people is to borrow someone else's?

Think you have a good scouting thread of your own going on, don't you, with data and observations; reserved judgments? I only respond in a half-jesting manner with you because you do have roots in data. I weigh roots with a good deal of merit. To derail it further- and I probably started it, sorry -there are people here (I can name them) whose hunches and intuition I would trust in a heartbeat without any data, truth be known. I have a respect for their past successes in assessments, though they may not have been proven statistically significant when originally proffered for consideration. A lot of science and the direction of inquires are fueled by hunches. Or sleepless nights.

It's all good. Hard evidence as to why I participate less than in the past. I'm just a guy with passing thoughts passing through. All the best, all.

Last edited by endgame; 04-02-2020 at 08:00 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #20
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Yes it would. Your point?
This needs to be applied to those that "feel" things are off but are too lazy to either do the work or simply don't know but have the time to post over and over and over.

In the last thread of this kind I again posted real OOTP numbers and invited anyone to post their data. The thread died
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote