Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Jonah Falcon
Minors (Triple A)

Bad stadium creator

Earl Weaver Baseball did it better, and that game is 33 years old.

Issues:

1. How come you can't bring in the RF line closer than 341 feet?
2. Is there a way to create a wall height change that isn't gradual? Like, straight vertical?
3. How come you just can't have all the stands in a minor league park be a cornfield?

Oh, and playing a game at Camden Yards, an OF ran through the wall in LF and fielded a ball, vanishing from sight.

Last edited by Jonah Falcon; 03-22-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Jonah Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Falcon View Post

Issues:

2. Is there a way to create a wall height change that isn't gradual? Like, straight vertical?
3. How come you just can't have all the stands in a minor league park be a cornfield?

Oh, and playing a game at Camden Yards, an OF ran through the wall in LF and fielded a ball, vanishing from sight.

OK, hold the phone...

Of course it isn't Earl Weaver. Eddie Dombrower was working with different code, which isn't as complex (although it was complex for the time and did some amazing things even by today's standards) and he had the FULL FORCE of Electronic Arts behind him, which was a power house even back then.

This is a brand new feature. They're just getting started. It's a slow roll out. The fact that they're able to do it at the the level it's at is amazing. Over time, it will do things that are beyond Earl Weaver. Yes, it's glitchy. They've acknowledged it already, but they'll be making major improvements as we roll along.

OOTP Developments is a small publisher/developer. They have limited resources and they have to do things gradually. Other software companies - such as Sony Interactive- can hire a huge staff of developers, throw millions of dollars at a project and say, "Have at it! Our motion capture studio is on the second floor, and after you're done be sure to stop by the CGI designers down the hall so they can pole vault over the uncanny valley and develop a CGI cyborg version of Aaron Judge for MLB the Show 21.

Doesn't work that way for OOTP. They can't throw a million dollars at something and say, "Make it happen!" They get there. It just takes longer.

BTW, my intent is NOT to flame... It's to put things in perspective

Last edited by drksd4848; 03-22-2020 at 09:26 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Plus, and it's a big plus: The developers are here, listening to you and taking notes. You don't necessarily see that when dealing with the bigger boys.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
Marcelo1967
Bat Boy

It will improve. The developers already said this is only the beginning.
Marcelo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #5
slugga27
All Star Starter

It blows my mind how someone can jump down these guys’ throats for a brand new feature four days after release, ESPECIALLY given how responsive they are. This will get better with time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Marcelo1967
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
It blows my mind how someone can jump down these guys’ throats for a brand new feature four days after release, ESPECIALLY given how responsive they are. This will get better with time.

I agree.
Marcelo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Eh... look: I think OP just needs a little perspective.

I don't know how many versions deep he (or she.. ya never know) is into it, but people tend not to be trustful of software developers (thanks, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc), and either expect canned responses for complaints or to be ignored (again, thanks Google, Microsoft, Youtube).

And, that's not how business is done here. They listen, they hear you, they care and they WANT to know what's wrong, because they want to it better.

So, if something is broken, or it's not right, there no need to come at them with pitch forks and torches... just let them know. In fact, I think they'd appreciate it if you let them know. Feedback is important to them.

Again, no one should flame the OP. Just gently educate. We're all friends here.

It's taken me years of being involved to develop my perspective. But, once you hang around here long enough, you see it.

BTW, one thing about Earl Weaver Baseball: It had it's share of problems... trust me on this. And when they finally fixed most of them, you had to buy another version. That's like having to buy every update from OOTP! YIKES! $$$$

Last edited by drksd4848; 03-23-2020 at 02:09 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

This dude has been whining about all kinds of stuff recently. So just take it with a grain of salt. Some people like to whine.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Issues:

Be humble!
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:27 AM   #10
ASUfool
Bat Boy

Quote:

You had Rodney McCray playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-VMiaIUD8I
ASUfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
BTW, one thing about Earl Weaver Baseball: It had it's share of problems... trust me on this. And when they finally fixed most of them, you had to buy another version. That's like having to buy every update from OOTP! YIKES! $$$$
There were only two versions of Earl Weaver Baseball. One came out in '87, the other in '91. While it had a stadium creator, it lacked career mode, aging, the ability to play more than one league, version one didn't have quick-play mode, and it was missing probably hundreds of features OOTP21 has.

But it was 30 years ago. It was the best baseball sim that existed, and that was wonderful. I kept playing my fictional league on Earl II for eight calendar years until OOTP2 because nothing was better.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Couple of things

Quote:

Issues:

1. It's a new feature. Breathe.
2. See item #1.
3. See item #1.

As for the vanishing player, submit it in the cosmetic issues thread, or in the bug thread. Matt is meticulous about seeing to these things.

This sort of ranting doesn't help, it abrades. It's not yet been a week and yoou're making comparisons to the dustbin of Earl Weaver? FMGWAC...

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUfool View Post
You had Rodney McCray playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-VMiaIUD8I
I take it no one here had High Heat 2001, all kinds of parks had the fence-run-through bug, it was cute.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I once saw a player bunt for a home run in High Heat.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #15
cmaug
Major Leagues

Op =
Attached Images
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #16
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post

That's an odd phenomenom I've observed as well.

I suppose they've committed to criticism as a tactic of sorts.

With due respect to the OP, I would ignore the criticism that isn't constructive in any way.

It's not very easy to get much done when everyone criticizes your work overlooking the positives. I have quite a bit of first-hand experience of this!

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Issues:

1. You can. I just moved it in to 268 feet in my test. It depends a bit on the shape though. 341 was a typo by you, I assume. A limit is intentional, of course.
2. Yes, add several new fence posts, that will make the line between two less gradual.
3. I just did this, no problem. "Element 1" for all sectors, done.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 03-26-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #18
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I see this thread title "Bad Stadium Creator" and ask myself: why would someone want to create a bad stadium? I mean, we're not the White Sox
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Wow, two mic drop answers in a row

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote