Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #1
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Playoffs No Sense Of Urgency

Does the AI have a playoff mode. I just played an elimination game I was up big and the AI gave up, bringing in hitters to pitch. The final score was a joke. I swept the series and never once was I afraid they would try stealing, bunting matching relievers to batters using starters in relief. Nothing changes. It's disappointing. Well off to the World Series.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Stealing and bunting are even worse strategies when one is behind by a lot. On what planet is giving up outs or opening up bases to set up DP's useful?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Stealing and bunting are even worse strategies when one is behind by a lot. On what planet is giving up outs or opening up bases to set up DP's useful?
I am a big believer in bunting and stealing, but the AI does not handle these situations correctly.

You are 100% correct when you are losing by multiple runs late in the game, you never bunt. I have played many games where the computer is losing by 4 or more runs in the 7th inning or later and the computer bunts. This drives me crazy. I posted about this a while ago on the bug report forum.

When Stealing, if a team is not going to challenge a steal, you always take the free base. When losing a game, your number 1 priority is base runners.
Intentional Walks are a gift to the losing team.
I don't understand how stealing a base sets up a double play.

Last edited by Pirates; 11-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
May I upvote this a thousand times? Then again I HATE bunting to move guys along. A surprise bunt for a base hit? Sure, why not. But sacrificing an out any time is dumb. That is your clock. If that clock runs out, and you are behind, you lose. Protect that clock at all times. You never know what can happen if you stop needlessly throwing away outs. Stealing's OK, if you're 100% sure your guy can get in there without getting thrown out, which...

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
He didn't say that.

He said in the *elimination game*, the AI used position players to pitch once the game got out of hand.

Teams use position players to save the bullpen in games the team is unlikely to win. In an elimination game there's nothing to save the bullpen for. The AI shouldn't be playing that way

Then he said that during the rest of the series the AI wasn't matching up relievers, using starters in relief, or stealing bases. Things that do happen in the playoffs (I ate the free tacos to prove it).

Last edited by CBeisbol; 11-11-2019 at 01:26 PM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:
I agree that the sac bunt except by a pitcher is almost always a bad strategy, and stealing is only a good strategy when a the chance of success is very high-- and of course down by a lot they're never good tactics.

But he said through the series he was never worried the ai was going to try those strategies, that includes, say, before they fell behind.

And as was posted, bringing in position players to pitch instead of using starters to relieve, shouldn't happen in the playoffs. In an elimination game, you don't think about tomorrow at all. Down 12-0 in a game that eliminates you if you lose, you still bring in your best available pitcher, because what are you saving him for? In the regular season, you save him. They should have different tactics in the playoffs and especially elimination games.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyone View Post
, and stealing is only a good strategy when a the chance of success is very high-- and of course down by a lot they're never good tactics.
Interestingly, and logically, when attempting to steal home (with 2 outs) you only need to be successful about 1/3 of the time (given recent scoring environments).

The expected success rate just needs to be a bit higher than the chance the batter will not make an out.

So, with a runner at 3rd, two out and a pitcher up. Steal away. Except you then have to figure out the loss in run expectancy of having your pitcher lead off instead of your leadoff hitter
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I agree with the basic premise here. The AI doesn't seem to treat elimination games any different than normal games.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote