Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Retiring with a 10-year deal?

So Cano just got a career ending injury. And then he retired. He had 8 years and about 180m left on his contract. Basically, he decided to not take a free 180m. If this were real life, Cano wouldn't retire and just be injured for the rest of his contract and collect.

Obviously complaining seems stupid, because if he had stayed I'd be screwed. However, I like realism, and want to know why this happened.
Gai1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Well in real life I'm sure the contract has some kind of insurance about this happening...
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai1997 View Post
So Cano just got a career ending injury. And then he retired. He had 8 years and about 180m left on his contract. Basically, he decided to not take a free 180m. If this were real life, Cano wouldn't retire and just be injured for the rest of his contract and collect.

Obviously complaining seems stupid, because if he had stayed I'd be screwed. However, I like realism, and want to know why this happened.
No, in real life, he would not be allowed to "take a free 180m" according to the rules of the Basic Agreement. See Article IX, Section E. The team pays the full salary until the end of the year, less worker's comp claims, and then he gets either a settlement, or worker's comp, or nothing, depending on the terms of his contract, for the remainder of the contract. But under no scenario would he get the full 180 million.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Last edited by JohnHoward; 08-20-2014 at 01:18 PM.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Also, he got a career-ending injury, which, in OOTP, is just what it says it is. It's not an injury that's bad enough he may never be the same again, maybe he should retire. It was bad enough he could NEVER play again, so he was forced to retire. There was no alternative for him.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
Well in real life I'm sure the contract has some kind of insurance about this happening...
It does.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
No, in real life, he would not be allowed to "take a free 180m" according to the rules of the Basic Agreement. See Article IX, Section E. The team pays the full salary until the end of the year, less worker's comp claims, and then he gets either a settlement, or worker's comp, or nothing, depending on the terms of his contract, for the remainder of the contract. But under no scenario would he get the full 180 million.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf
Oh really? People always told me that they would get paid. I knew there was insurance, as the Yankees used theirs when Teixiera got injured last year. But now that CC Sabathia is injured and likely might have to end his career, he won't make any money?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Oh really? People always told me that they would get paid. I knew there was insurance, as the Yankees used theirs when Teixiera got injured last year. But now that CC Sabathia is injured and likely might have to end his career, he won't make any money?
The Yankees included a $5 million buyout at any point in Sabathia's contract if he got a CEI based on concerns about his shoulder. He agreed to it. He will get $5 million.

New York Yankees, CC Sabathia reach five-year, $122M deal - ESPN New York
Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
The Yankees included a $5 million buyout at any point in Sabathia's contract if he got a CEI based on concerns about his shoulder. He agreed to it. He will get $5 million.

Guess I should do my research next time. That's so good for us then. Actually, I just read and its about the shoulder. It's his knee this time. So he should be paid fully.

Last edited by Gai1997; 08-20-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
Mike45
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Except...he's not out due to a shoulder injury. It's his knees
Mike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Guess I should do my research next time. That's so good for us then. Actually, I just read and its about the shoulder. It's his knee this time. So he should be paid fully.
I think it goes like this: they were concerned about his shoulder, therefore they included the buyout. It doesn't mean that ONLY the shoulder would initiate the buyout. That would be bizarre. If you still want to argue about it, call Brian Cashman and you and he can sort it out.

Last edited by JohnHoward; 08-20-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
If he can get the Yankees out of the $5 million they might give him Cashman's job.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
If he can get the Yankees out of the $5 million they might give him Cashman's job.
I think paying him 5 million would help Cashman keep his job.