Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #101
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
It may not be fatally flawed, but it's on life support for those of us that play historicals with neutralized stats using a modified database with no .odb database. Having fielders that can't catch the ball at all because they're all zeroes in the field is no fun at all. There is a workaround (except for those of us that play with random start databases), but it's very time consuming: deleting them all and re-importing them...One by one by one. Doable...Not fun. Once that's done though, all the rest of the historical players in amateur drafts come fully equipped...Which begs the question(s): How/why?
I don't have any quarrel with what you said. I don't play historical so I have no clue what the problems are there. I should have said.....for how I play I wouldn't say it's unplayable.

Last edited by StyxNCa; 09-16-2010 at 12:57 PM.
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #102
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
That's the person you should feel sorry for because they can't look around and say: "Well at least so and so has it worse than me...Hey wait a minute...Oh snap!".
Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #103
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Gears of War 2, a major, big budget Xbox 360 console game, has had some six title updates (a.k.a. patches) since it's release in November of 2008. And not all of the issues some of its players have mentioned have been addressed. (Indeed, one of the updates introduced a major security flaw which allowed the game to be hacked, resulting in completely bogus scores littering the game's scoreboards. That security flaw had to be fixed in yet another update.)

The moral of the story is that every game, even console games, have bugs and other issues which require fixing. Not all of those bugs/issues get fixed in a game's life cycle. It's the nature of the business—games are complicated beasts. (And post-release problems and fixes are not limited to the software industry.)

The best one can do is to work towards getting as many of the major bugs/issues brought to light and fixed as possible.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #104
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Gears of War 2, a major, big budget Xbox 360 console game, has had some six title updates (a.k.a. patches) since it's release in November of 2008. And not all of the issues some of its players have mentioned have been addressed. (Indeed, one of the updates introduced a major security flaw which allowed the game to be hacked, resulting in completely bogus scores littering the game's scoreboards. That security flaw had to be fixed in yet another update.)

The moral of the story is that every game, even console games, have bugs and other issues which require fixing. Not all of those bugs/issues get fixed in a game's life cycle. It's the nature of the business—games are complicated beasts. (And post-release problems and fixes are not limited to the software industry.)

The best one can do is to work towards getting as many of the major bugs/issues brought to light and fixed as possible.
Oh it's not just games my good fellow. Two words: Microsoft Vista. That was the 15 year old Ford Pinto of all operating systems. I avoided it like the plague, but not every Microsoft user was so lucky. Hint: Linux and Mac users, this is your chance to jump in and brag about the moral superiority you get from your OS selection.

The point is if you buy a game/operating system/office tools/any other type of software you are a beta tester, whether you pay $20 or $200 for it. It sucks, but that's the way it is. There is no possible way one human being can figure out contingency plans for everything that might go wrong with the software that they sell. Should they strive for perfection? Sure...But that doesn't mean they're going to come close to it.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #105
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintach View Post
Wow. I'm really sorry I ever opened this thread.
Me too.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #106
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyxNCa View Post
At some point someone has to be the worst of all.
Yes. How does it feel?

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #107
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei View Post
Yes. How does it feel?
Well, I didn't want to say anything because I was afraid someone would say I was telling a sob story.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #108
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

Compared to some games OOTP is a finely honed and polished to perfection product,the recently released Silent Hunter 5 for example was literally only half finished.....now that's what you call beta testing!
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #109
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyxNCa View Post
Well, I didn't want to say anything because I was afraid someone would say I was telling a sob story.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:41 AM   #110
Jonah Falcon
Minors (Triple A)

The network coding stinks to high heaven. It's random whether I can upload and download online league files.

Is? It? So? HARD? To? FTP?

Really?
Jonah Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #111
targy
All Star Starter

I don't know, maybe it's just me and I usually do not post when a thread becomes combative but don't all real sports have their bugs that never get fixed. Yes they tell you they are going to look at the problem when the season is over but alas when the next season starts the same problem exists. I am not going to get into specifics but my point is that it is called the human element or some may call it a bug that needs to be looked at and then we hear the excuse that there is not enough time this year to fix that bug as there are more pertinent issues that need to be looked at first, yet even if we do not agree we end up have to watch an imperfect game in the hopes that it will get fixed soon. We can choose not to pay money to go see a game that we feel is imperfect and wait patiently for the bug to be fixed before we spend money again. In other words if you can't deal with the little imperfections of this great game my suggestion is don't buy it.

Just sayin'

BTW I have submitted many bugs to support and they have been great at looking into the situation that has popped up in my game. They have asked me to submit files and even did a remote connection and found the problem with the situation I was going through. These support people usually volunteer their time and the promptness of their help was wonderful. Steve P and Gary B. thank you both for all the help you have provided me.

I have played this game since v1 and 6.5 was the best but I must say that even with the little imperfections this is the best game I have ever played and will continue to buy each and every new version that comes available.

Remember this for those of us who have not figured it out....This is a game and nothing more than a game.

Now I will sit back and wait to be flamed....LOL
Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #112
epiodimos
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by targy View Post
I don't know, maybe it's just me and I usually do not post when a thread becomes combative but don't all real sports have their bugs that never get fixed. Yes they tell you they are going to look at the problem when the season is over but alas when the next season starts the same problem exists. I am not going to get into specifics but my point is that it is called the human element or some may call it a bug that needs to be looked at and then we hear the excuse that there is not enough time this year to fix that bug as there are more pertinent issues that need to be looked at first, yet even if we do not agree we end up have to watch an imperfect game in the hopes that it will get fixed soon. We can choose not to pay money to go see a game that we feel is imperfect and wait patiently for the bug to be fixed before we spend money again. In other words if you can't deal with the little imperfections of this great game my suggestion is don't buy it.

Just sayin'

BTW I have submitted many bugs to support and they have been great at looking into the situation that has popped up in my game. They have asked me to submit files and even did a remote connection and found the problem with the situation I was going through. These support people usually volunteer their time and the promptness of their help was wonderful. Steve P and Gary B. thank you both for all the help you have provided me.

I have played this game since v1 and 6.5 was the best but I must say that even with the little imperfections this is the best game I have ever played and will continue to buy each and every new version that comes available.

Remember this for those of us who have not figured it out....This is a game and nothing more than a game.

well said, friend.
epiodimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #113
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by targy View Post

Just sayin'

I agree!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #114
Difar
Minors (Single A)

Consider yourself flamed...

... but it still was well stated.
And this one belong's to the REDS!!
Difar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #115
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

"The best is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #116
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. P.R. Park III View Post

Final note: I think your grossly underestimating the number of people who play out their games (fictional or otherwise)...I think a significant majority of board members obsessively play out game after game.
I am curious as to how you reached that conclusion considering I did not mention any numbers relating to how many people I think play out and how many sim. I didn't even make a general statement such as, "Most people sim" or whatever. So, how did I grossly underestimate?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #117
Killing Time
All Star Starter

Poll after poll has shown us split 50-50. Half sim and half play out their games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In my best imitation of KT, "I don't know. Would? May? This could have been better. I'm a bit disappointed."
Please don't beat the dead graphics horse.
Killing Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #118
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Some of us do both. Sim a month, play out one game per series, then play out every game for a month, then sim a month...

How I play the game really depends of what my mood is, and how much gaming time I have, when I double click that icon. Is my hope for the playoffs done in July? Am I about to play a series against a team I consider to be a rival? Am I playing a new pitcher I just brought up from AAA? Does my wife need to vent some steam about her bad day at work?

It depends....

It's more complicated than "this percentage plays this way."
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote