Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
as5680
All Star Starter

Adding a Subleague

I have seen a couple of threads relating to problems with going from one subleague to two in earlier versions of OOTP, and I wonder if there is any way to work around it in OOTP14 or whether the issues still apply.

I have been running a fictional league with one subleague (28 teams, 4 divisions of 7) and am planning to expand to 32 (either 4x8 or 8x4). I was considering going to two subleagues, so backed up my game and tested the realignment.

One problem I came across was the one which I have seen referred to in earlier versions, namely that the previous champions are not listed correctly in league history - for some years, the runner-up is listed (not in bold) and the champion not listed at all. This doesn't seem to follow a pattern regarding which subleague the teams have been placed in.

Secondly, all records (single game or season/career) have been allocated to the first subleague with no records for the second. In the case of the single game records, there are no overall records, just those for the subleagues. For me, this would be more of a problem with one league starting from scratch in terms of records and the other having years of history allocated to it.

Is there any way of getting around either of these issues? If not, I expect I will just stick with one subleague - the main reason for going to two was simply to get more of the standings on the screen at once!
as5680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by as5680 View Post
I have seen a couple of threads relating to problems with going from one subleague to two in earlier versions of OOTP, and I wonder if there is any way to work around it in OOTP14 or whether the issues still apply.

I have been running a fictional league with one subleague (28 teams, 4 divisions of 7) and am planning to expand to 32 (either 4x8 or 8x4). I was considering going to two subleagues, so backed up my game and tested the realignment.

One problem I came across was the one which I have seen referred to in earlier versions, namely that the previous champions are not listed correctly in league history - for some years, the runner-up is listed (not in bold) and the champion not listed at all. This doesn't seem to follow a pattern regarding which subleague the teams have been placed in.

Secondly, all records (single game or season/career) have been allocated to the first subleague with no records for the second. In the case of the single game records, there are no overall records, just those for the subleagues. For me, this would be more of a problem with one league starting from scratch in terms of records and the other having years of history allocated to it.

Is there any way of getting around either of these issues? If not, I expect I will just stick with one subleague - the main reason for going to two was simply to get more of the standings on the screen at once!

Can't really offer help, I've done this without problem other than the history. However, imo this works correctly. You create a new sub league, it has no history, so why should it show any? The history of the players now in that league is still recorded where they made it.

When a player comes from Japan and plays in MLB, they don't add his records from Japan to the MLB stats/history. He starts from 0 in the new league he just entered.

Once you start playing some seasons, the new league will start accumulating history.

Makes sense to me.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 11-03-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
as5680
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
You create a new sub league, it has no history, so why should it show any?
My issue is not the new subleague having no history, but rather the entire previous history of the league being allocated to one subleague (in addition to the issue of wrongly listed champions).

In a sense, both subleagues are new as with only one, there are effectively no 'sub' leagues, just a single entity.

In my case, were I to split the league it would be into Western and Eastern Leagues (each containing either 2 or 4 divisions). What I'm really asking about is all the single game records etc being allocated to the West and the East starting from scratch - I'm wondering whether there is any way to show that those records were for the league as a whole.

I don't think that in this case OOTP does what I hoped to be able to achieve, so I am going to have to stick with one subleague.

Last edited by as5680; 11-03-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My issue is not the new subleague having no history, but rather the entire previous history of the league being allocated to one subleague (in addition to the issue of wrongly listed champions).

In a sense, both subleagues are new as with only one, there are effectively no 'sub' leagues, just a single entity.

In my case, were I to split the league it would be into Western and Eastern Leagues (each containing either 2 or 4 divisions). What I'm really asking about is all the single game records etc being allocated to the West and the East starting from scratch - I'm wondering whether there is any way to show that those records were for the league as a whole.

I don't think that in this case OOTP does what I hoped to be able to achieve, so I am going to have to stick with one subleague.
The history should be allocated to the one subleague since that's where it occurred. How can you move history from a 1948 (example) sub-league to a new sub-league created in 1954 for example? The new sub-league didn't exist in 1948, just the players in it did. So those players records are still in the sub-league they were created in.

Also, both sub-leagues are not new - the first league you created was still a sub-league. It's a sub-league within a league, even when you only have one league. May not be the answer you hoped for, but that's the way OOTP works. Any time you create a league, it's still a sub-league within a league.

This example below shows that - It's one league with 2 divisions, but note the circled part - it's still a sub-league within a league. So it did exist and isn't new, even if I add another sub-league.

_
Attached Images
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
as5680
All Star Starter

Quote:
Also, both sub-leagues are not new - the first league you created was still a sub-league. It's a sub-league within a league, even when you only have one league. May not be the answer you hoped for, but that's the way OOTP works. Any time you create a league, it's still a sub-league within a league.
This is why I said 'in a sense' both would be new. OOTP considers the original league to be a subleague, even though in reality it is not (you can't actually have one subleague, that is just a league).

In the format I was hoping for, a single entity would become two subleagues. Both of those would be new and the league's earlier history not allocated to either - no history would be moved.

As the game doesn't allow me to achieve that, I will stick with one.

Last edited by as5680; 11-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is why I said 'in a sense' both would be new. OOTP considers the original league to be a subleague, even though in reality it is not (you can't actually have one subleague, that is just a league).

In the format I was hoping for, a single entity would become two subleagues. Both of those would be new and the league's earlier history not allocated to either - no history would be moved.

As the game doesn't allow me to achieve that, I will stick with one.
Got me thinking a bit here - wonder what would happen if you add a sub-league, move all the teams into it, delete the original sub-league, then add another sub-league and move the teams to the split you like.

I wonder how that would make the history/records look?

Also - in regards to not being able to have 1 sub-league. Maybe in the real world you can't, but in OOTP you can. I just showed that with the screen shot. OOTP treats a single league to be a sub-league within that league, so it is one sub-league.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 11-03-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
as5680
All Star Starter

Quote:
Got me thinking a bit here - wonder what would happen if you add a sub-league, move all the teams into it, delete the original sub-league, then add another sub-league and move the teams to the split you like.
I had a go at doing that - the outcome was the same. Once the original subleague was deleted, the second one became Sub League 1 and all the history and records were allocated to it.

Quote:
Also - in regards to not being able to have 1 sub-league. Maybe in the real world you can't, but in OOTP you can. I just showed that with the screen shot. OOTP treats a single league to be a sub-league within that league, so it is one sub-league.
I appreciate that. When I said you can't have just one, I was meaning in reality - it isn't really a subleague as it is not a subdivision of anything.

I understand that for the purposes of setting up the game, OOTP considers it to be a subleague.