Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
AstrosFan
Bat Boy

Thanked 0x in 0 posts
Starting As Manager In the Minor Leagues?

Anyone starting their franchises in the minor leagues? Is there any advantage to doing this?

I had thought about starting at the smallest level of ball and trying to work my way up, but it's extremely difficult with so many roster moves being made beyond your control.

Also, this game plays more of a GM Sim rather than a Manager sim, right?

Thoughts?
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Thanked 148x in 113 posts
I've done this before in fictional leagues, and it's a good way to get to know the players in your system. You're right, it's a different (and kinda frustrating) way to play. But a nice change of pace and definitely a good exercise.

Dynasty Threads:
Continental League 2012; 1969-79 (dormant)
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Tekneek
Major Leagues

Thanked 36x in 26 posts
I don't often play that way. In fact, I rarely even GM. I usually just setup leagues and act more as a Commissioner. However, I decided that I would start OOTP14 as a manager and see where it goes. I got hired in late 2013 to manage the Short Season A affiliate of the Padres, the Eugene Emeralds.

Just about to start the 2014 season with them and we have a lot of draft picks from 2013 on the team. Should be interesting.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 1,103x in 628 posts
This is my next game. I have never done it but I want to give it a try.

Last edited by rpriske; 04-17-2013 at 02:56 PM.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
flair1239
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 8x in 5 posts
I did this in the league that I play every game in. Started out as rookie league manager and worked my way up to AAA. Won a Double A title in the process.

After one Triple A season, the team I was with did not offer me the GM position (The Twins), so I accepted a job in Oakland. IT was pretty cool.

I did it because I am a relatively new baseball fan (I am 38), and have only been following the game the last three years or so. I wanted to get a feeling of the mechanics and such.

It was fun, and it is cool to have a managerial history. It helps with the immersion factor.
flair1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
BoofBonser26
Major Leagues

Thanked 126x in 81 posts
This is my favorite way to play solo (I'm an online junkie). I always want to sim an elaborate fictional league as a passive "God," but I usually just end up starting a new MLB game and hiring on in the minor leagues. I love the limitation of not being able to select your own players and harsh expectations.

I use this style whenever I want to play out some games. Over time, I also build up a cool personal history. It's the best!
BoofBonser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Thanked 3,084x in 2,464 posts
I have played this way twice. Once on 11 and gave up after 3 seasons. Did not get offered a job my 1st year then signed with Port St Lucie Mets, then managed Brooklyn Cyclones both losing seasons. The 2nd time on 13 I started with Dundein Blue Jays for 2 yrs. Managed Springfield Cardinals for 2 yrs then Charlotte knights for half a year til i was fired. Took me like 6 yrs to become a ML mgr it was frustrating but fun.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
sdf4977
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanked 2x in 2 posts
Im trying this out right now and it is pretty fun, only done two season and im at Double-A from rookie League.

I will be starting a new league after I figure out how to do the Almanac right, and plan on doing this again
sdf4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
NateAndStuff
Minors (Triple A)

Thanked 54x in 35 posts
I did this for a fictional league in last year's game to get to know the league before jumping in. I coached two years coaching NCAA before getting offered a AA job. After spending a year there, I was promoted to AAA and managed there for two years. My contract ended and I was then offered a job in the majors. Was interesting and cool in a lot of ways. Like 13 or 14 years in, I actually signed one of the guys I coached in college and used him as my utility man. The constant roster moves were frustrating but I'd do it again.
NateAndStuff is offline   Reply With Quote