Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
wildcardcharlie
Bat Boy

OOTP is the best sports game ever and here's why

Yes it's literally just a thread of me preaching to the choir and praising this game.

Just felt the need to get this out there. I love this game. It's not perfect. The trade AI could use some improvement. I have other mostly minor complaints. But it's so damn good.

The reason why is because it near perfectly recreates the MLB and how extraordinarly hard it is to win a World Series. That's all you can really ask from any sports game.

I'm a huge basketball fan. But the problem I have with 2K's franchise mode is that when I play as my favorite team, the Bucks, I can basically win 6 straight NBA finals with little to no difficulty, because I'm so much better at the game than the CPU.

In OOTP, you can build the best team on paper. You can stack it with all-stars at every position and have a rotation full of aces. But guess what? You're probably still not going to win the World Series. Because over the course of a 162 game season, things go wrong. Guys have unexpectedly terrible years, injuries happen, teams inexplicably just collapse.

That is why, when you do win, it is soooo satisfying. When those waiver wire relief pitcher pick ups pay off and shore up your bullpen. When you sign that journeyman as a stopgap to fill a hole and he gives you the only 3.5 WAR season of his career. To the rest of the league, that guy will retire as just some dude, but to my organization, he's the guy that for one year put us over the top and made us a championship team. That is exactly how real baseball is. It makes heroes out of totally ordinary and average players. Find me a Marlins or Diamondbacks fan that doesn't love Craig Counsell.

The fact that is is so damn hard to win makes you feel so accomplished when you pull it off. I love that I can simulate a decade plus and not even sniff a World Series. Because when I do finally build that winning team, it's so much more satisfying than any other game.

I love OOTP.
wildcardcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Perfectly stated!
Old 01-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
TomVeal
All Star Starter

And then there are the Rookies of the Year whose best season is their first . . . and the amazing young pitching prospect who blows out his arm in his first start . . . and the reliable veteran who hits a wall in the season where you finally think you have a chance to make it to the World Series . . . and all the trades where the guys you send overperform and the ones you get finish below 0.0 WAR. . . . All very frustrating, but at least you didn't have to spend a billion dollars to buy a franchise.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

Absolutely, one of the best parts of this game is how difficult it can be to win. I like to use the Yankees from last season as an example of what is required to over-build your roster in order to avoid the inevitability of injuries. If you have contingency plans in your organization you can still be extremely consistent in your performance.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

well said!

amplified when you play out every game.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

I was thinking a similar thing as I struggled to a 2-1 victory in a tight game with Texas at the end of August (yesterday IRL). Both teams stranded at the bottom of their divisions with almost identical and atrocious records, but my bullpen came through and I really savored that win! Great post, well said.
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

Nothing wrong with reminding ourselves how lucky we are this company exists, from time to time. I never thought 43 years ago that my baseball-sim hobby would turn into this...

I love the flexibility of this game. I recently set up a league that mimics Big Ten College Baseball/football. 16 teams, two leagues, no trading, 60 man rosters - 27 allowed on active roster, the rest in "minor leagues", 4-5 year eligibility and the draft order every year is set to reflect actual football recruiting. I play as MSU and it is fun as heck trying to overcome our recruiting disadvantages to build a team that can compete every few years. I rely on good coaches, developing young players and managerial skill.
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I do not think it is the best. But it's damn good. Top 3. Maybe as high as #2
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...ghlight=cheats

Read this thread and it is a perfect example of why the best team doesn't always win!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I do not think it is the best. But it's damn good. Top 3. Maybe as high as #2
Curious to hear your top 5
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #11
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

For me:

1. Football Manager
2. OOTP
3. DDS Pro Basketball
4. Civilization
5. FOF
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:01 AM   #12
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
For me:

1. Football Manager
2. OOTP
3. DDS Pro Basketball
4. Civilization
5. FOF
Civilization is a sports game?

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #13
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Curious to hear your top 5
Football Manager
OOTP
Eastside Hockey Manger (2015 version)
Motorsport Manager
Starters Orders
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #14
zappa1
All Star Starter

Value.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #15
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I have 1,500+ hours combined in the Football Manager games, and 1,000+ hours combined in the OOTP games.

I think what pushes OOTP over the top for me, and why it's become my exclusive sports management game now, is that I can spend the time doing exactly what I want. Modern day? Historical? Perfect Team? It's all at my fingertips whenever. I can burn through a season in no time at all. With Football Manager there's so much busy-work and it takes forever to sim a season. Plus there's no extra options like Historical and Perfect Team.

With OOTP I feel like I'm playing my game, and with FM I feel like I'm playing SI's game.

My ranking:

1. Out of the Park Baseball
2. Football Manager
3. Motorsport Manager

Hockey was the sport I played most as a kid but I haven't delved into those management games. I think I have Eastside in my library but it seems like a one-off game. Hopefully FHM surpasses EHM in the future if it hasn't already. I'll probably give it a go in the future.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #16
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
For me:

1. Football Manager
2. OOTP
3. DDS Pro Basketball
4. Civilization
5. FOF
PSU, is DDS that good? What does it for you?
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #17
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

It is a special game for sure, with an outstanding community.

Sure, my love of Baseball certainly has something to do with it, but there is just something about OOTP for me that draws me in, and immerses me into the sim to a level that I basically forget about what is going-on in the rest of the world for a while.

I am already looking forward to OOTP 21.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #18
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
Sure, my love of Baseball certainly has something to do with it, but there is just something about OOTP for me that draws me in, and immerses me into the sim to a level that I basically forget about what is going-on in the rest of the world for a while.

This is why I play
Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #19
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

I have just changed Manny "El" Toro's nickname. He is now Manny "Homerun" Toro. He is a rather hirsute specimen of a 32-yr old starting pitcher who sports a career batting average of .113. He is an excellent pitcher, but a horrific batter, specializing in GIDP's via the bunt to the point where I forbade him to bunt a couple of years ago.

He has hit 2 grand slams in his past 2 starts. His first 2 HR's of his career.

And THAT is why I pay attention to box scores game by game.
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:48 AM   #20
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

I wouldn’t or couldn’t say ootp is the best game ever but it’s the best sports management game I’ve played, by a mile. No other sports sim has come close. It’s ruined all other ones for me haha. I’m a hockey fan more then anything and nothing comes close to ootp baseball at least for realism. And even if it did I’m not sure I would enjoy it as much just for the simple fact that there are so many stats associated with baseball, compared to hockey, and I’m a big stats geek so ootp keeps me busy looking through stats.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote