Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #1121
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I don't get it.

Analytics say you should go for it on 4th down. Ravens went 0-4 and the 1st 2 led directly to Titans TD's.

Math ain't a good head coach.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #1122
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Please tell me you don't actually believe the words you are typing
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #1123
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The Ravens were doing well until Jackson threw an interception on their first drive. Therefore teams should never throw a pass again!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #1124
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Analytics are fine, but I don't think they account situational events that happen during a game. The Ravens were 100% on 4th and 1. Does that then mean you go for it from your own 5 yard line?

There was really no reason they should have gone for it on the first of those 4th and 1s. Other than what analytics said. Why the rush? Was the game getting out of hand? No. All they did was give the Titans a chance to build the lead and gain momentum. The Titans are no juggernauts. But if you give a well coached team that already believes they can win more confidence, good luck with that. That's where the coach needs to step in.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #1125
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Well, they weren't on their own 5 yard line. The risk reward changes based on field position.

You are basically saying "only go for it if you get it" which isn't really analysis or helpful. They've been going for that in similar spots all year and went 14-2 because of being aggressive. The reason to go for it is because then you can get a first down and score points. Scoring points is good. Most of the time you do get it, sometimes you don't. That's football and life. If I can roll a pair of dice and bet even money it won't come up 12 then I'm gonna do it even though it isn't impossible to hit 12.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #1126
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, they weren't on their own 5 yard line. The risk reward changes based on field position.

You are basically saying "only go for it if you get it" which isn't really analysis or helpful. They've been going for that in similar spots all year and went 14-2 because of being aggressive. The reason to go for it is because then you can get a first down and score points. Scoring points is good. Most of the time you do get it, sometimes you don't. That's football and life. If I can roll a pair of dice and bet even money it won't come up 12 then I'm gonna do it even though it isn't impossible to hit 12.
They've been good from that spot all year? But at what point do you take other factors into consideration? Like the team you're playing. What point in the game. You mentioned risk/reward. What is the reward for getting that yard? Another set of downs with no guarantee to score. What's the risk? Are the Titans so dangerous that trying to pin them inside their 20 was such a bad option at that time? It's not that I didn't like the play call, It's when they did it I thought was a poor choice.

You dice example is simplistic. You're given a clear cut situation. Win 50 bucks or lose 50 bucks. The same is on the line either way with the odds being in your favor. Given the situation the Ravens had a lot more to lose if they didn't get it.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #1127
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Please don't tell me this is the 1st time you've read a post from me.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #1128
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Probably not but I dont really remember who posts what

Meanwhile, not a great start for the chefs
Old 01-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #1129
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Analytics are fine, but I don't think they account situational events that happen during a game. The Ravens were 100% on 4th and 1. Does that then mean you go for it from your own 5 yard line?

There was really no reason they should have gone for it on the first of those 4th and 1s. Other than what analytics said. Why the rush? Was the game getting out of hand? No. All they did was give the Titans a chance to build the lead and gain momentum. The Titans are no juggernauts. But if you give a well coached team that already believes they can win more confidence, good luck with that. That's where the coach needs to step in.
Quote:
They've been good from that spot all year? But at what point do you take other factors into consideration? Like the team you're playing. What point in the game. You mentioned risk/reward. What is the reward for getting that yard? Another set of downs with no guarantee to score. What's the risk? Are the Titans so dangerous that trying to pin them inside their 20 was such a bad option at that time? It's not that I didn't like the play call, It's when they did it I thought was a poor choice.

You dice example is simplistic. You're given a clear cut situation. Win 50 bucks or lose 50 bucks. The same is on the line either way with the odds being in your favor. Given the situation the Ravens had a lot more to lose if they didn't get it.
These are the points the sabermetric cult doesn't get. Analytics opens your eyes to possibilities you may have never considered. That's a good thing. But to run your gameplan exclusively on the numbers or to second guess every decision because the numbers say "x" is foolhardy. Raw data can't decipher the intricacies, emotions and subtle factors that go into a game.

I don't think going for it on 4th cost them the game. I also don't think going for it on 4th won them 14 games either. Fans need to stop worshiping numbers. Be balanced.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #1130
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

KC taking the Plaxico Burress approach to this game. Shooting their own selves.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #1131
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Reid just hit Tyreke like he is Hill's bro-n-law.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #1132
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

texans kick on fourth and inches, give up td seconds later. no one going to talk about it though

sure hope they dont wish they had a touchdown at some point, not like the chiefs have an explosive offense or anything
Old 01-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #1133
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

guy wont try to gain ten inches but calls a ridiculous fake punt on his own half lol. these coaches are just pushing random buttons
Old 01-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #1134
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
texans kick on fourth and inches, give up td seconds later. no one going to talk about it though
Cause they still got 3.

Special teams has killed/saved both teams in this game.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #1135
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

three is less than seven. kicking gave the KC defense a "win"

pretty convenient that when things go wrong after going for it then math is dumb but when things go wrong after kicking then its because of everything else
Old 01-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #1136
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
three is less than seven. kicking gave the KC defense a "win"

pretty convenient that when things go wrong after going for it then math is dumb but when things go wrong after kicking then its because of everything else
I have never and will never criticize a coach for adding to the lead.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #1137
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

In a little more than 20 minutes, KC has outscored Houston 41-0.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #1138
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
These are the points the sabermetric cult doesn't get. Analytics opens your eyes to possibilities you may have never considered. That's a good thing. But to run your gameplan exclusively on the numbers or to second guess every decision because the numbers say "x" is foolhardy. Raw data can't decipher the intricacies, emotions and subtle factors that go into a game.

I don't think going for it on 4th cost them the game. I also don't think going for it on 4th won them 14 games either. Fans need to stop worshiping numbers. Be balanced.
Don't disagree with any of this ^^^. I'll suggest, though - given that the Ravens led the league in both 4th down attempts and conversion rate - that if Harbaugh doesn't go for (most of) those potential 4th down attempts, and the Ravens lose, he gets criticized for going conservative and not sticking with what worked during the regular season.

There are a few scenarios where Harbaugh avoids criticism of his play-calling (& going with analytics-vs-gut). Most of those scenarios, though, include the Ravens winning the game. Go figure.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #1139
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Another example brain-dead clock-management at the highest levels of the game:

Texans' coach Bill O'Brien can't decide whether or not to go for it on 4th-and-4 with 11 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, down by 17. Regardless of the choice (the obvious choice is to go for it, IMO), he has to burn a timeout - which could possibly be crucial if they are to mount a comeback - all because of his indecision (or confusion?). This is the kind of decision that should've been anticipated when it was 3rd-and-4. Pathetic, at this level.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #1140
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Another example brain-dead clock-management at the highest levels of the game:

Texans' coach Bill O'Brien can't decide whether or not to go for it on 4th-and-4 with 11 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, down by 17. Regardless of the choice (the obvious choice is to go for it, IMO), he has to burn a timeout - which could possibly be crucial if they are to mount a comeback - all because of his indecision (or confusion?). This is the kind of decision that should've been anticipated when it was 3rd-and-4. Pathetic, at this level.
Agreed. O'Brien's decision making could rightly be 2nd guessed in this game.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance