Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

FHM Update, Version 5.8.70, Now Available

The sixth and final update for Franchise Hockey Manager 5, version 5.8.69, has just been released.

To apply the update:

-If you are playing the eSellerate version, just download the setup file and install it over your current installation. There is no need to uninstall or unlicense your current copy! However, you should quit the game before installing it, of course.
-If you are playing the Steam version, the game will auto-update if you have that option active. If you don't see the update in your Steam update queue, you may need to exit and restart your Steam client.
-If you are playing the Apple Store version, the game will auto-update once Apple approves the new update. This may not occur until a few days after the update is released for other versions.

Download link for PC:
Main server: PC Installer

Download link for Mac:
Main Server: Mac Installer

Please post any problems/bugs you run into in the Bug Reports Forum (but also have a look at the reporting guidelines first when reporting bugs, please.)

Your existing savegames will be compatible with the updated game, but some of the update's fixes may not retroactively correct certain problems in existing saves.

Changes:

Gameplay:
-database updated to February 25 (i.e., immediately post-NHL trading deadline); in addition to the usual playable league updates, most nonplayable leagues received substantial roster updates; NHL attendance base levels updated to current 2018-19 amounts; corrected RFA/UFA contract-expiry status for a number of NHL players
-added randomization ("Randomize Starting Scout Bias") option in setup for starting scouting opinions on NHL draft-eligible (and younger) players (will completely randomize the player's consensus opinion value, which can significantly change the scouting evaluations, making scouting and drafting in early seasons much more unpredictable)
-offensive rating penalties to fatigued players increased
-added an additional fitness reduction to skaters playing an excessive number of minutes in one game
-new csv export files added: schedules, team_records, conferences and divisions
-most playable leagues received an expansion to their list of leagues that they can sign players directly from; generally this are still very low-level leagues; notably EIHL teams can now sign players directly off NIHL Division 1 rosters (had previously been only Division 2)
-NHL rights on drafted KHL and Swiss league players will now remain until player reaches UFA age (approximates defected player rule)
-user's active roster limit is now removed during the playoffs as it is during exhibition games
-uniform number assignment system now automatically gives the players the number they want if available (i.e. the change we made in the last update is now extended to any desired number, not just if it's the preferred one), so the user only gets a message if a player needs a uniform and the one he wants isn't available
-player fitness after playing a game will now be slightly lower
-adjusted the system we added last update that lowers fitness by 10 when being sent up/down from farm teams: if the new team is in the same city as the old one, adjustment is 0 instead of -10. If state is the same, adjustment is -5. If country is the same, -10. Otherwise, -15.
-all players on a user's farm teams are now scouted to A-level, even if they're not actually contracted to the user's team
-during an initial draft, if a user's team's remaining salary budget is < (league minimum salary * (number of remaining rounds + 1), the team will only be able to pick players who will get a contract with a salary equal to the league minimum.
-average Aging rating for generated players adjusted upwards by a small amount, should result in slightly fewer players declining early
-SHL transfer frequency between AI teams reduced, and SHL teams will now occasionally make player-for-player trades

User Interface:
-reworked tactics screen, adding more explanatory tooltips and removing unnecessary elements, and option to have the AI reset the tactics
-in the Exit Auto-Play options, 0.5 star level options added to "When a player is available on waivers" so they can be set at 0.5, 1.5, etc. as well as the integer values
-added new news item to announce players (with contracts) being added to the team on July 1 in historical (no draft) mode
-added new news item to announce retirement of staff who aren't in GM and/or head coach jobs
-when viewing a player's scouting reports, using the arrow button to change players will now change the report as well, not leaving it stuck on the report of the first player viewed
-on the player profile, the Consensus Opinion and Central Scouting graphs should now correctly display ratings lower than the user's scouts for players who are underrated
-using the league menu to open the Champions League or Memorial Cup schedule/stats/history pages, then the standings tab, will no longer result in a blank page
-when viewing one team's roster screen, then switching to a different team via the team menu, the Action Menu will no longer disappear until the roster tab is clicked on
-standings screen on manager home page should now show the playoff line in the correct place in non-conference leagues
-in the box scores, the single "OT" column for scoring and shots on goal has been split into one for each OT period - OT,OT2,OT3, etc.
-the "Champions" section of the international tournament history screen should now show the proper number of championships won for that tournament
-the tournament (CHL/Memorial Cup) history screen now includes the historical champions in the leaders in the Champions section, not just the teams that win tournaments after the game starts
-fixed colouring of the Historical Challenge successful/failed popup in dark skin (had been dark blue on black)

Bug Fixes:
-.fg files with special characters in them should now import properly, both via the automatic import and manual selection via the Import PhotoFit option on the Picture menu)
-1974-75 and 1975-76 WHA schedules restored to correct as-scheduled versions (as opposed to as-played versions where teams stopped playing midyear, which made Minnesota historical challenge extremely difficult)
-the 1926 Stanley Cup (which should be between the NHL and WHL champions) should now occur properly
-when KHL teams make unsuccessful contract offers to a player, their free agent budget will no longer continue to be reduced by that amount even after the player signs elsewhere or the user ends negotiations
-Montreal and Toronto historical challenges should now trigger properly and award achievement at correct time
-Vancouver Millionaires historical challenge now correctly awarded when the player wins the Stanley Cup, not their league championship
-check to prevent resigning from international team while tournament is underway should now begin with roster deadline date for tournament (had been allowing resignations prior to opening game of tournament, which could lead to crashes if roster had not been completed prior to resignation)
-when an OHL/WHL/QMJHL team releases a player, his rights for all 3 leagues will now be properly set to "none", making him signable by any CHL team
-"Select Player Usage" function for farm teams should now work properly in multiplayer
-fixed roster status issue for players on NHL contracts who move directly from a junior team to an AHL/ECHL farm team
-the player_master.csv CSV export file will no longer assign ID's of -1 to players generated after the start of the game
-playoffs in custom league setups should now work properly when the format is changed after the first season; in some cases they were failing to start
-various other small text and data fixes

Last edited by JeffR; 03-28-2019 at 01:27 AM.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Duranium
All Star Starter

should the reports look like this in the released version?
Attached Images
Image Image 

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
should the reports look like this in the released version?
If you have the Debug option turned on, yes.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Eugus
Minors (Double A)

thanks

Last edited by Eugus; 03-26-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Eugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
cshigh
All Star Reserve

Thanks Jeff!
cshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:37 AM   #6
IamJustin
Minors (Single A)

Still didn't fix the issue of fantasy commish not able to select "Replace with" like you can with NHL Commish. I have to login to each and every team every time an injury happens...
IamJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
Saul Goodman
Minors (Double A)

-NHL rights on drafted KHL and Swiss league players will now remain until player reaches UFA age (approximates defected player rule, if it's working OK will expand to Swiss leagues as well in last data update)

Are the NHL rights applicable for both KHL and Switzerland and brackets just not get deleted on the notes? Or is there another update to come.

Thanks for patch!
Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:26 AM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
-NHL rights on drafted KHL and Swiss league players will now remain until player reaches UFA age (approximates defected player rule, if it's working OK will expand to Swiss leagues as well in last data update)

Are the NHL rights applicable for both KHL and Switzerland and brackets just not get deleted on the notes? Or is there another update to come.

Thanks for patch!
Oops, yeah, I should've deleted the stuff in parentheses, that was a note to the testers in the change list of an earlier build of the update. I'll fix that.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Awesome update, a lot of stuff I wouldn't have expected to see before FHM 6!
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #10
Spartacus70
Minors (Double A)

Excellent update. In historical The PIMs are more balanced now.
My only concern is the tactical roles Goon and Enforcer. This 2 roles are identicals : screening (?!) and strengh in red, and fighting in green.
For exemple Dave schultz is always suitable as agitator (19) or grinder (14) and only at (12) as goon or enforcer.

Some suggestions :

Why aggression is more relevant for agitator than for a goon?
Why low temperament is not relevant for goon or bravery/leadership for enforcer?
Spartacus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
Spartacus70
Minors (Double A)

Why I consider it important?
From the manual :
Goons and Enforcers will reduce opponent's bravery, unless countered by presence of the opponent's goons and/or enforcers.
Agitators will lower the Temperament attribute of opponents, leading them to take more penalties.
So only Goons and Enforcers ad an intimidating factor by lowering the opponent bravery.
But since the historical good fighters normally have high aggression, (and low temperament) and its take in calculation only in the agitator tac. role, who will be goons and enforcers.

In this situation, the «Broad Street Bullies» are denatured : 29 fights (IRL 77) and with no important intimidating factor...
Spartacus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #12
toque
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
-added new news item to announce retirement of staff who aren't in GM and/or head coach jobs
This is a great change, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to make this for your team only? On July 1 I received over 100 messages of every scout/trainer that had retired from every single NHL franchise. Knowing that some other team's scout has retired isn't really much use to the player information wise. I do really like the change though, nice to know when you have a staff position that needs to be filled, especially assistant coaches.
toque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:51 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toque View Post
This is a great change, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to make this for your team only? On July 1 I received over 100 messages of every scout/trainer that had retired from every single NHL franchise. Knowing that some other team's scout has retired isn't really much use to the player information wise. I do really like the change though, nice to know when you have a staff position that needs to be filled, especially assistant coaches.
Yeah, we'll need to come up with a way of filtering that down a bit. It's a little difficult to do it cleanly right now - you can avoid the spam by turning off the "general" option for your league's news (Manager Options, News Subscription Settings, Edit) but you'll miss out on other news by doing that.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
toque
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Yeah, we'll need to come up with a way of filtering that down a bit. It's a little difficult to do it cleanly right now - you can avoid the spam by turning off the "general" option for your league's news (Manager Options, News Subscription Settings, Edit) but you'll miss out on other news by doing that.
Makes sense. Maybe a feature for FHM 6
toque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #15
TopeHabFan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I think the fatigue change may be a little too strong on the players. Since the update, I've got one forward who averages roughly 14-15 minutes a game a FIT of 62% after the first game of a back-to-back. I also have a defenceman down to 55% playing about 22 minutes a night (a little higher, but nothing too out of the ordinary for a 1st pairing D-man)...
TopeHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #16
JeffR
FHM Producer

What do the stamina rating on those two players look like? That may be hurting them if it's unusually low.

In general, though, the noticeably increased fatigue is by design - fatigue management, both for the user and the AI, hadn't been enough of a factor before. Even when fatigued, the players will still play up to their normal standard for some/most of the game, but they'll hit the wall in the third period a lot more often than they used to. I think we might look at adding some period-by-period icetime options next year to make managing that a little better, i.e. play the lower lines more often in first and second so the first and second aren't worn down by the third.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #17
Archipel
Bat Boy

I have noticed the same thing as TopeHabFan.

Here are some details :

The team is playing back to back games (custom league Mac Os)

My first center played 17:58 min in the first game
He then played 19:22 min in the second game

At the end of these 2 days (games) he as a fit 48%
one day of rest later fit 63%

HIs stamina is stamina 13

So he will start the next game with a fit of 63%.

Do you consider this normal with the new fatigue levels of the last update (5.8.70)
Archipel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #18
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

13 of stamina isn't exactly elite, maybe 48% after back-to-back games for a well-trained player is a bit low and the punishment is maybe a bit too hard on the players, but in my opinion the game is on the right track.
It's better than having players always at 100%.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #19
Archipel
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
13 of stamina isn't exactly elite, maybe 48% after back-to-back games for a well-trained player is a bit low and the punishment is maybe a bit too hard on the players, but in my opinion the game is on the right track.
It's better than having players always at 100%.
I agree with you that being always at 100% is not really interesting. But I suppose that a typical player should not have to be scratched to rest during the season. That will probably be happening to a player that dropped to 48 % after back to back games because he is on downward spiral on his fitness level.

But maybe a stamina of 13 is lower than the average player, I will have to check that an be careful when drafting because stamina will become more important.

Thanks for your reply.
Archipel is offline   Reply With Quote