Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-26-2019, 12:35 AM   #21
Thalion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
I'm going to have to watch him more closely in the playoffs. I think there's a ton of out-of-the-box strategy that can work there to take advantage of the short series and extra rest days. And after accidentally playing a half season of a 4-man rotation, I've realize 80% fatigue isn't all that bad especially if you have a bullpen than can successfully take over after 5-6 inning starts.

It's definitely not that bad. You just have to realize that your starters are going to have to go with short rest (appr 80% fatigue) most of the time and have to rely on your bullpen. I've run 4 man starters most of my time in Perfect.
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:52 AM   #22
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
Hi, I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, but I'm going to have to take exception at your statement that this is a problem and not a legitimate attempt to compete.

As I mentioned above, I did basically what you claim is a gimmick but did so expressly with the intent of winning, and I told everyone the season before that I was going to try to do this.

Adjusting ballpark factors isn't a gimmick but a completely valid strategy of playing to your teams strengths and magnifying other teams' weaknesses.

Also, I don't consider attempting to set up favorable matchups for my bullpen to take advantage of is any different than teams platooning lineups to take advantage of pitching handedness splits.

All I did was go with a 4 man pitching rotation of LHP, set my starter hook all the way to the left, and loaded up my bullpen with RHP. People knew I was going to do it and they were more than given the opportunity to adjust. Whether they chose to or not was entirely up to them.

Just my humble opinion.
I have no problem with what you did because that's actually a valid strategy that was thought out. Starting RP is not something that works in this game as this game is not coded properly for RP to work as openers. Guys who live off of 2 pitches suddenly try to pitch like a pitcher with 3-4 pitches, hence their Stuff penalty.

And I didn't really mean gimmick in a bad way, just that it is pretty much required to have a skewed park for this strategy to work, another reason this player is going to fail miserably. They just haven't thought anything out and just decided a few weeks in the season to flip to it without the personnel or stadium to succeed.

As for seeking favorable pitching matchups the way you discussed: in this game, yeah it's a legit strategy. You've got to constantly try things that go against the meta-strategies. Unfortunately by the nature of this game, there are no actual counter-settings for non-game-by-game managers to be able to foresee and react to these pitching switcheroo strategies. Platoons are automated. Identifying an Opener is not. It's taking advantage of a flaw in the game, but it's a legit advantage to take.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:57 AM   #23
Thalion
Major Leagues

Quote:
I have no problem with what you did because that's actually a valid strategy that was thought out. Starting RP is not something that works in this game as this game is not coded properly for RP to work as openers. Guys who live off of 2 pitches suddenly try to pitch like a pitcher with 3-4 pitches, hence their Stuff penalty.

And I didn't really mean gimmick in a bad way, just that it is pretty much required to have a skewed park for this strategy to work, another reason this player is going to fail miserably. They just haven't thought anything out and just decided a few weeks in the season to flip to it without the personnel or stadium to succeed.

As for seeking favorable pitching matchups the way you discussed: in this game, yeah it's a legit strategy. You've got to constantly try things that go against the meta-strategies. Unfortunately by the nature of this game, there are no actual counter-settings for non-game-by-game managers to be able to foresee and react to these pitching switcheroo strategies. Platoons are automated. Identifying an Opener is not. It's taking advantage of a flaw in the game, but it's a legit advantage to take.

In 20, Openers-Followers will be implemented. Supposedly, the AI is going to be upgraded so that it can react to the opener/follower strategy so that is something to look forward to.
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #24
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
It's definitely not that bad. You just have to realize that your starters are going to have to go with short rest (appr 80% fatigue) most of the time and have to rely on your bullpen. I've run 4 man starters most of my time in Perfect.
And really, every off-day gives you a reset, so you still get in some full starts. Plus, at Perfect League, all those complete game PPs that we used to feast on barely contribute to our next upgrade.

I just did a count based on my current schedule. If I went 4-man from day 1, I'd get 66 100% starts and 96 80% starts. That's not bad considering 80% seems to pretty much just mean shorter outings, not worse outings. And during any of the extended stretches, I can manually reset the rotation with a spot start from a bullpen starter.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:19 AM   #25
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

A bit of a meh April, but we ended up 13-13 after promoting back to Diamond.

This is the current roster and the reserves btw; I have a ton more deactivated cards, but none of them are gold or higher. I had the delusion in my head that I could collect all the historical All Stars or whatever, so I have a swath of historical 60's
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:20 AM   #26
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In 20, Openers-Followers will be implemented. Supposedly, the AI is going to be upgraded so that it can react to the opener/follower strategy so that is something to look forward to.
Yep definitely.

Now if only the AI would stop putting Aparicio in the 2-hole when my number 2-hitter has a day off!

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:23 AM   #27
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Also, finished the last game of the day with a 3-5-1 double-play. Noice!

(right-side shift, groundball to 1B who threw to 3B covering 2nd, who then threw to the pitcher covering 1B, in case you're wondering )

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
Old 02-26-2019, 01:34 AM   #28
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Yep definitely.

Now if only the AI would stop putting Aparicio in the 2-hole when my number 2-hitter has a day off!
This, this, this. And let us shift starters to other positions when a teammate has a day off. When my CF Mike Trout has the day off, LF Joe DiMaggio should move over there instead of my backup Magglio Ordonez who is a terrible CF but good LF. Basically, Backup #1 should be a starter if you like and I think the AI should be able to figure it out from there if you have a Backup #2 that isn't a starter.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 02-26-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:41 AM   #29
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Anyway, 18-9 start, good for 3rd in the league, but only 2nd in my division. I hope this is not one of those 100-win wildcard seasons.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #30
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I think my Yaks are collectively taking the season off. Polaris is playing well and Inferno is treading water about to drown as usual in Diamond. But they keep making the cut

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #31
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I think my Yaks are collectively taking the season off. Polaris is playing well and Inferno is treading water about to drown as usual in Diamond. But they keep making the cut
Looking at your team info, I noticed you've had bad luck in 1-run games, as well as an insane ratio of playing RHP v LHP (26-5). I know you platoon well, but too many games in a row vs. one handedness will tax your lineup.

On the other hand, my Hops have played against 15 RHP vs. 17 LHP. It's crazy because it's not like it's tons of all LH rotations here. I've just happened to run into the lefty part of the rotations more.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 02-26-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #32
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

When you go 8-2 and lose ground in your division. Looking back further, they are on a 14-2 run while I'm on a 12-4 run.
Attached Images
Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #33
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This, this, this. And let us shift starters to other positions when a teammate has a day off. When my CF Mike Trout has the day off, LF Joe DiMaggio should move over there instead of my backup Magglio Ordonez who is a terrible CF but good LF. Basically, Backup #1 should be a starter if you like and I think the AI should be able to figure it out from there if you have a Backup #2 that isn't a starter.
Looks like you got your wish for OOTP20

Old 02-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #34
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Looks like you got your wish for OOTP20
Yup, but I'm not sure that they solved the problem with your backups taking over for your best hitters in their premium lineup spots. I don't need my bench guy suddenly batting leadoff or cleanup.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #35
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yup, but I'm not sure that they solved the problem with your backups taking over for your best hitters in their premium lineup spots. I don't need my bench guy suddenly batting leadoff or cleanup.
Maybe something as simple as a 'lock player to lineup spot' on the player strategy page might do the trick?

I am kinda tempted to put Aparicio at cleanup for a while. Can't do worse than Socks Seybold is currently (BA .150)...

Old 02-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #36
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Looking at your team info, I noticed you've had bad luck in 1-run games, as well as an insane ratio of playing RHP v LHP (26-5). I know you platoon well, but too many games in a row vs. one handedness will tax your lineup.

On the other hand, my Hops have played against 15 RHP vs. 17 LHP. It's crazy because it's not like it's tons of all LH rotations here. I've just happened to run into the lefty part of the rotations more.
After seeing so many neutral parks in this league I set mine neutral for this season only too. I just wanted to see how my team is this way. So far no good. But that can change in a day

Old 02-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #37
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
After seeing so many neutral parks in this league I set mine neutral for this season only too. I just wanted to see how my team is this way. So far no good. But that can change in a day
Yeah, I did that a couple seasons back and then went back to a pitcher-friendly (but not extreme) ballpark. Immediately won a WS and now it's working out nicely again, as you can see below.

But then there's the aforementioned Aqua Sox who have a max hitter park. He's got the hitting and pitching to minimize the wild rides in those games, though. Since we are winding down our days in OOTP19, I may just try that setup out next season.
Attached Images
Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #38
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Maybe I will try a max hitter once too, just for giggles and grins.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #39
Maddox
All Star Reserve

I think my defensive team have met their match so far in Diamond league.

Dead last in Team Average for the whole league. I am batting .225 as team
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:55 PM   #40
DrTobiasFunke
Minors (Single A)

Making some headway on my defensive depth (Not pictured: Shohei Ohtani, who is training at C, 1st, 3rd, LF and RF).

Name:  Depth.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  71.6 KB

I think my main lineup come July will be:
C- Catcher platoon
1st - Jose Vidro
2nd - Phil Rizzuto
3rd - Chipper Jones? Tom Tresh? Rizzuto even?
SS - Jeff Cirillo/Tom Tresh?/Mark Belanger
LF - Hack Wilson
CF - Garry Maddox
RF - Pete Rose/Lonnie Smith
DH - Whoever is hot this season

Sidewinders fans will remember Eddie Collins Sr. coming in to play 2nd base during the bottom of the 9th in the deciding game of the division series and being part of the throwing error that allowed Sammy Sosa to plunge the dagger into a very promising season. This aggressive training regime is to avoid that type of situation (Which I think happened because I had no backup 1st baseman, so Vidro couldn't get shifted over to 2nd and provide better D than Collins Sr.), and hopefully now with bountiful options at every position I'll see more pinch hitting/running.
DrTobiasFunke is offline   Reply With Quote