Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #1
Beebo23
Minors (Rookie Ball)

New to the game, seeking a little help

I'm fairly new to the game of hockey. I'm loving this game, huge fan of ootp as well.

Just 2 things slightly stumping me so far...

1: RFA's, When do I offer them contracts, and how do I know if another team has tried to offer them one?

2: Key stats for defensive players. When deciding which players I'd like to extend or let go, which key stats should I be looking for with, specifically, defensive defenseman.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!
Beebo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

#1 is too long to explain (i'll let someone else do it) as for PURE defensemen takeaways, +/- and block shots are important to them...
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Beebo23
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the tips! I figured number 1 was too long. lol. I feel like I kinda have an idea, but just wanted clarification. lol
Old 10-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo23 View Post

1: RFA's, When do I offer them contracts, and how do I know if another team has tried to offer them one?
You need to offer RFA a minimum contract to retain their rights. It will say in the negotiations what you need to offer them to retain their rights. This needs to be done before the end of July 30th. So you have the entire season to negotiate his contract.

A RFA is a player who has played 7 years pro or is age 27. (at 7 years pro, this means that potentially he can become an UFA at 26 but this is rare)

I believe there is a email notification if a team has offered one of your players a contract and you then have the choice to match it or let him go to that team. Depending on the amount of money that team will pay him, you might get compensation (draft picks). Same goes when you offer a RFA a contract, it will tell you if he accepts what draft picks you will give up. Star RFA players you try and snag away typically you give up about 3 first round draft picks.

As you are starting out with the game, i suggest you go by the Game Rating (GR) and star ratings. As you continue to play you will become more aware of some of the major stats and how certain players will fit in your team.

Last edited by dave1927p; 10-05-2015 at 09:44 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

Usually if a team does make an offer on your RFAs, you get the chance to match their offer as well (if you already tried offering them a minimum deal to keep their rights). If you choose not to match, the player will go to the other team and you get compensation, typically in the form of draft picks based on the value of the contract. At least, this is how I recall it being in real life, I haven't done a full season of the modern day mode still in the game (on either version surprisingly) so I don't know for sure if it's implemented the same way.

As for defensemen, like previously mentioned, if you want a defensive-minded guy then the +/- rating is a big one, since it takes consideration for when the player is on the ice when goals are scored (at even strength, or shorthanded goals). Shots blocked is also important as well.
Lord PichuPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
Beebo23
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
You need to offer RFA a minimum contract to retain their rights. It will say in the negotiations what you need to offer them to retain their rights. This needs to be done before the end of July 30th. So you have the entire season to negotiate his contract.

A RFA is a player who has played 7 years pro or is age 27. (at 7 years pro, this means that potentially he can become an UFA at 26 but this is rare)

I believe there is a email notification if a team has offered one of your players a contract and you then have the choice to match it or let him go to that team. Depending on the amount of money that team will pay him, you might get compensation (draft picks). Same goes when you offer a RFA a contract, it will tell you if he accepts what draft picks you will give up. Star RFA players you try and snag away typically you give up about 3 first round draft picks.

As you are starting out with the game, i suggest you go by the Game Rating (GR) and star ratings. As you continue to play you will become more aware of some of the major stats and how certain players will fit in your team.
Thanks! This helps a ton!