Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 03-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
ohv
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Finnish nameset

Hi,

I've been toying long time starting a fictional league based on my homecountry but I always have stopped when I remember how lackluster the finnish nameset is in the game (and in the questdogs otherwise EXCELLENT nameset). Well luckily some parts of the finnish census data is now shared in easier format to edit so I thought what the hell.. I'll make a one myself. Though maybe i'm only person who would use this in OOTP, I think this could be also used in FHM (country code is different I guess).

The lastname file is quite complete as it contains 11284 most common lastnames (though there might be some weird ones that should still be removed / the amount might be little overkill) compared to 555 in original file.

Creating first name file was a bit more difficult as I only got data for first names of all the living people, and as you can imagine the names have changed quite a bit for example since 1980 when I was born. But I used that data and the census webpage to approximate "correct" values for finnish first names born since 1980s. I weighted last 10 years bit more so some results are quite interesting but nevertheless this file is much better than the original. (999 vs 231 names).

There are still quite a bit swedish/russian origin names and some really uncommon ones, that I might later remove. but I wanted to share my initial version if someone wants to try it out.
Attached Files
File Type: txt fin_names - firstname.txt (12.7 KB, 260 views)
File Type: txt fin_names - names.txt (164.0 KB, 1048 views)
ohv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
BennyTheMarlin
Minors (Double A)

Cool stuff! Thanks. I probably won't have too much use for this now, but I did have a Finnish pitching prospect named Timo Jarvilehto appear in my standard MLB league as the top international amateur free agent last summer, and signed him. I'd expanded my game world only very moderately, and had Finland set to about 0.03% of all world prospects. It was a cool random occurrence that had me bump up the percent of Finns some more. Now I should see one every year or two with a name drawn from your set.

And by the way, you may think you went too far overboard, but that's a good thing in this case, and something that I encourage all posters to do with their own home countries.
BennyTheMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Would you mind if we added this to the official game?
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
ohv
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Sure go ahead. As I said the first name file could need some more editing with those rare/weird names, but it does not matter that much because all those have 1 as "weight value or whatever it is called" so those should be really rare anyways.

Last edited by ohv; 03-04-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I think OOTP still has Hungary sharing the same nameset as Finland, under the mistaken notion that, just because Finnish and Hungarian are in the same language family, the names must be similar. These names appear to be strictly Finnish, so before incorporating them into the game you may want to consider doing something about assigning a different nameset to Hungary.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

This is excellent!
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 AM   #7
ohv
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I think OOTP still has Hungary sharing the same nameset as Finland, under the mistaken notion that, just because Finnish and Hungarian are in the same language family, the names must be similar. These names appear to be strictly Finnish, so before incorporating them into the game you may want to consider doing something about assigning a different nameset to Hungary.
True, anyways currently in the game all the country code 11 names are strictly finnish, so hungarian names are missing nevertheless.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #8
khucke
All Star Reserve

I'm very interested in this. I build my my own Finnish nameset a few years ago, but yours is probably better. Did I understand you correctly , there are no Swedish names in your set?
Another point: Have you ever tried to replicate the percentages of Swedish names in the various Finnish regions when creating a game? Using country-wide percentages you end up with too many Andersson or Erikssons born in for example Pohjois-Karjala.
khucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:47 AM   #9
ohv
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khucke View Post
I'm very interested in this. I build my my own Finnish nameset a few years ago, but yours is probably better. Did I understand you correctly , there are no Swedish names in your set?
Another point: Have you ever tried to replicate the percentages of Swedish names in the various Finnish regions when creating a game? Using country-wide percentages you end up with too many Andersson or Erikssons born in for example Pohjois-Karjala.
There are Swedish names, but most of those are pretty rare (especially first names, there are lots of them in lastname file but the amount of names ofcourse causes that you don't commonly see those). Anyways this is a bit tricky issue because there are people with swedish-based first name but then common finnish lastname and vice-versa. Sometimes the name sounds fine, but sometimes (rarely though) you get weird results with his approach . This is something I have been thinking to improve, mostly by cleaning the first name file more and maybe decreasing the weight values of some most common swedish names. But as I said this is the first version and atleast now I can start fictional league in v16 in Finland.

The region thing would be nice. I haven't played with those so don't know if you can do it? But if so you could assign the swedish nameset to have full swedish names on the certain south & west coastal areas and then decrease the amount elsewhere. Currently I guess there is just this constant amount of names from swedish nameset used for the whole country (something that could be tuned also)
Old 03-18-2015, 03:20 AM   #10
ohv
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Schools

Well, I apparently have too much time sometimes so I also created schools.txt for Finland. IRL in Finland professional teams have junior levels for all ages, and high schools and colleges/universities only might have some "recreational" teams in lower divisions. So this is strictly what if scenario if the system would be similar as in USA to add some flavor to the drafts. If I have time later on I might add "technical institute"-schools to the high school level (the other educational path besides traditional high school).
Attached Files
File Type: txt schools.txt (27.0 KB, 158 views)