Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

American-Ethnic Namesets

These are namesets for American ethnic groups that I use in leagues based in the US. In other words, these are namesets for ethnic groups in the US, not foreign nations. The major changes are:
  • All diacritical marks (umlauts, accents, etc.) are deleted;
  • Spellings are "Americanized";
  • Names that likely wouldn't have survived the "Americanization" process (especially difficult Slavic names) are omitted entirely;
  • Surnames are limited to those that are native to that ethnic group (for my views on this point, see here);
  • First names are thoroughly "Americanized" - players with foreign-sounding first names are assumed to adopt American nicknames (e.g. "Luigi" becomes "Lou," "Stanislaus" becomes "Stan").
So, for instance, the German-American nameset wouldn't be appropriate for Germany because names such as "Müller" are changed to "Mueller."

The surnames are drawn from sources on the internet, and I will provide references. The first names are more subjective. In general, I consider the first names to be appropriate for the period from 1870 to roughly 1960. After that, names became more homogenized. For instance, if Troy Tulowitzki had been born in 1924 instead of 1984, his first name would have been Wally or Gus, not Troy. And while I base frequency figures for surnames on the sources, the name frequencies for first names are completely subjective and impressionistic. Feel free to change them to your own liking.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

IRISH-AMERICAN NAMES (nameset 18)

10.8% of American population

The current Irish nameset includes far too many English, Scottish, and Welsh names. Although there are a fair number of Scottish names to be found in Northern Ireland, the names in this nameset are overwhelmingly Irish in origin. Consequently, after deleting the non-Irish names, this nameset is actually smaller than the Irish (18) nameset in OOTP.

As with other namesets, duplicates were deleted and spelling errors corrected. Some common Irish names omitted from the OOTP nameset are included here, such as:
  • Coogan
  • Costello
  • Docherty
  • Gallacher
  • Shannon
  • Touhy
Sources that I used include:

Some prominent Irish-American ballplayers:
  • John McGraw
  • Mike "King" Kelly
  • Ed Delahanty
  • George "High Pockets" Kelly
  • Roger Connor
  • Charles Comiskey
  • Jimmy Collins
  • Joe "Iron Man" McGinnity

18 Irish-American first names.txt

18 Irish-American names.txt

Last edited by joefromchicago; 05-03-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

SCOTTISH-AMERICAN NAMES (nameset 16)

1.7% of American population

As with the Irish nameset, there are quite a few English and Welsh names mixed in with the Scottish nameset. I've deleted many of those, although there is a good deal of unavoidable overlap (Black, for instance, is a common Scottish and English name).

16 Scottish-American first names.txt

16 Scottish-American names.txt

Last edited by joefromchicago; 03-08-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Ike348
All Star Starter

Just previewing your work and it looks great, but I think you're going to want to get rid of those empty lines. I'm not sure if OOTP can handle them or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I'm not seeing any gaps. Are you viewing the files in Notepad or Notepad++?

In my experience the game doesn't seem to have any problems with gaps in the sequence.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I'm not seeing any gaps. Are you viewing the files in Notepad or Notepad++?

In my experience the game doesn't seem to have any problems with gaps in the sequence.
TextEdit on a Mac. For example, in your Scottish-American set, I get this:

Abercrombie,2,16

Abercromby,2,16

Aberdalgy,1,16
Abernathy,2,16
Abernethy,1,16

Aberkirder,1,16
Acheson,1,16

Ackenhead,1,16
Adamson,10,16
Affleck,1,16

Agnew,2,16

Quote:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure what's happening. Hard returns that show up in Notepad++ don't appear in Notepad and vice versa. Given that .txt files open by default in Notepad (in Windows), I'm going with Notepad, although I've reduced the gaps as much as possible. I've reposted the files as edited, and I've tested them in game and they work fine.

EDIT: I figured out the problem. It's purely an esthetic thing - it has no effect in the game - but I'll make changes in the Scottish and Irish namesets.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 03-08-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
I'm not sure what's happening. Hard returns that show up in Notepad++ don't appear in Notepad and vice versa. Given that .txt files open by default in Notepad (in Windows), I'm going with Notepad, although I've reduced the gaps as much as possible. I've reposted the files as edited, and I've tested them in game and they work fine.

As long as they work fine then it's all good. I just wasn't sure that they would.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

ANGLO-AMERICAN NAMES (nameset 20)

8.7% of American population

Not surprisingly, there is a lot of overlap between the English nameset (20) and the American modern (0), American historical (39), and Canadian (32) namesets, particularly in the upper end. Names like Smith, Robinson, Turner, and Johnson are common in England as well as in English-speaking North America.

As with other namesets, non-native names have been deleted, typos have been corrected, and duplicates deleted. Many of the English and Welsh names deleted from the Scottish and Irish namesets have migrated to the English nameset, which means that this English nameset is far larger than the standard English (20) nameset in OOTP.

20 Anglo-American first names.txt

20 Anglo-American names.txt
Old 03-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

JEWISH NAMES

The surnames in this nameset are almost entirely German, Slavic, and Yiddish, which is consistent with the preponderance of Jewish immigrants who came to the US from central and eastern Europe. This is, consequently, NOT an appropriate nameset for Israel. Name frequencies for both surnames and first names are entirely subjective. If somebody has statistics for name frequency, I'd be happy to hear about them.

The surnames included here are, for lack of a better term, "identifiably Jewish." "Miller," for instance, is one of the most common Jewish surnames in the US, but someone named "John Miller" could just as easily be gentile, so names like that aren't included. Names like "Epstein" and "Goldfarb," on the other hand, are far more likely to be Jewish, and so those are the kinds of names included in this nameset. There is a fair amount of overlap between this nameset and the German and Polish namesets (to be posted), but I've tried to keep that at a minimum.

Since there is no Jewish nameset in OOTP, this nameset is provisionally identified with an asterisk (*). To use these namesets, choose a nameset that you want to replace (I use 29 - sorry Azerbaijan) and run a "search and replace" operation on the file, substituting all the asterisks with the chosen nameset number. I recommend using a nameset with an identifier higher than 20. Otherwise, a "search and replace" might also replace some name frequencies.

Some prominent Jewish-American ballplayers:
  • Hank Greenberg
  • Sandy Koufax
  • Al Rosen
  • Ken Holtzman
  • Moe Berg
  • Mike Epstein

Jewish first names.txt

Jewish names.txt

Last edited by joefromchicago; 03-14-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

Is there any specific reason that the number of ethnicities is capped at 39, it would be very nice to have more.
Marinersfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinersfan51 View Post
Is there any specific reason that the number of ethnicities is capped at 39, it would be very nice to have more.
40 (not 39) is the limit because that's the way things are. The developers haven't shown any interest in increasing the number of available namesets, and given the ease with which namesets can be modded, that attitude isn't likely to change any time soon. It would be nice to have more, but, putting things in perspective, the 40-nameset limit isn't really a big handicap.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

POLISH-AMERICAN NAMES (nameset 15)

3.2% of American population

There were a fair number of spelling errors that needed to be corrected in this database - not surprising, perhaps, given how daunting Polish spelling can be. All diacritical marks were removed. Some nasalized vowels received an -m (e.g. Dąbrowski was changed to Dambrowski). Russian/Ukrainian names ending in -sky were deleted, as were feminine (-ska) versions of names ending in -ski. Some names were omitted to avoid repetition with the Jewish nameset.

Some prominent Polish-American ballplayers:
  • Al Simmons (Aloys Szymanski)
  • Stan Musial (Stanislaw Franciszek Musial)
  • Carl Yastrzemski
  • Stan Coveleski
  • Bill Mazeroski
  • Moose Skowron
  • Doug Mientkiewicz
  • Richie Zisk

15 polish-american first names.txt

15 Polish-American names.txt

Last edited by joefromchicago; 03-14-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #14
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

ITALIAN-AMERICAN NAMES (nameset 9)

5.6% of American population

This nameset is one of the better ones. I cleared up the duplications and the spelling errors. Some of the names were odd - definitely uncommon or even unknown in Italy, so I dropped many of them. There was also a tendency, more pronounced here than in other namesets, to draw names from figures in literature, the arts, diplomacy, and military history. In cases where it was distracting, or where the name wasn't really a name at all (like Tintoretto), I removed it.

Some prominent Italian-American ballplayers:
  • Joe Dimaggio
  • Ermie Lombardi
  • Tony Lazzeri
  • Ron Santo
  • Roy Campanella (on his father's side)
  • Phil Rizzuto
  • Yogi Berra
  • Lou Piniella
  • Carl Furillo

9 Italian-American first names.txt

9 Italian-American names.txt

Last edited by joefromchicago; 03-14-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #15
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Would you mind doing a french-canadian file too. I'd replace the current french one with it.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawa666 View Post
Would you mind doing a french-canadian file too. I'd replace the current french one with it.
In general, the French-Canadian nameset is one of the better namesets in OOTP, but it still contains too many non-French names. I wasn't planning on doing requests - there's a lot of work in modifying these files - but I've made some changes in the 33 nameset over the years that I could post here. I'll need to clean it up a bit before I can post it.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

GERMAN-AMERICAN NAMES (nameset 7)

15.2% of American population

Befitting the largest ethnic group in the US, I've greatly expanded this nameset.* Umlaut vowels (ä, ö, ü) have, in general, been changed to unmarked vowels + e (ae, oe, ue). An effort has been made to avoid duplication with the Jewish nameset, although some names (e.g. Baum) are common to both.

Some prominent German-American ballplayers:
  • Lou Gehrig
  • Honus Wagner
  • Mel Ott
  • Casey Stengel
  • Charlie Gehringer
  • Chuck Klein
  • Warren Spahn
  • Frankie Frisch
  • Harry Heilmann
  • Heinie Manush
  • Red Schoendienst

7 german-american first names.txt

7 german-american names.txt

*EDIT: I ran the numbers - I've actually reduced this nameset by around 90 names, most likely due to some names being shifted to the Jewish and Dutch namesets as well as the elimination of non-German names.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 05-05-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

AUSTRIAN-AMERICAN NAMES (nameset 31)

0.3% of the American population (Austrian)
0.4% of the American population (Swiss)

The first question that you might ask is "why bother?" This much-maligned nameset is often cited as one of the more unnecessary ones, and there is unavoidably a good deal of overlap between this nameset and the German (7) nameset (which I have, however, tried to minimize). Nevertheless, there are some differences, such as the Austrian -egger ending (e.g. Schwarzenegger), which, I believe, is related to the German -ecker ending (e.g. Honecker). I have, for the most part, changed the characteristic Austrian -l ending (e.g. Haindl) to -el (Haindel), as it's uncommon for the -l ending to have survived the Americanization process. I have also deleted Slavic names unless a German spelling has been adopted.

To fill out this nameset, I have also added Swiss and Bavarian names, so this is something of a South German nameset. It should be used in conjunction with the German nameset (so, e.g., if you want 15% German names, you could split it 14% from nameset 7 and 1% from nameset 31). The first names are identical to the German first names.

31 Austro-American first names.txt

31 Austro-American Names.txt
Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #19
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinersfan51 View Post

Just for further clarification on this, there are 40 ethnicities available for OOTP (counting #0 for the modern U.S.). The biggest reason why we probably won't see that number increase is that it would require a massive rewrite of the game's code.

Apparently, those ethnicities are pivotal to the game on many levels, and to expand them would be a huge undertaking that the developers don't see the value in tackling.

In reality, while there are modders and gamers like us that enjoy creating fictional worlds or experimenting with alternative ethnicities to enhance realism, the vast majority of paying customers are probably just looking for something that resembles real life and gets close enough to do the job.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

FRENCH-CANADIAN NAMES (nameset 33)

In line with the American-ethnic namesets, ethnically diverse (English, Italian, Chinese, etc.) names have been purged from this file, leaving only French names. This nameset retains all accents and, therefore, is appropriate for Francophone Canada. I've only prepared a names file - I don't have enough information about first names to determine if the OOTP set is accurate.

Currently, the French-Canadian 33 nameset is not accessible through the in-game editor (for reasons that remain shrouded in mystery). I believe that the file can still be incorporated through the world_default.xml file by making the appropriate changes in the Canadian ethnicity section. If you want to access the nameset from the in-game editor, you'll need to change the nameset identifier. You can do a search-and-replace to substitute another number for 33 (no name has a frequency of 33, so this operation will only change the nameset number).

33 French-Canadian names.txt

Last edited by joefromchicago; 03-18-2014 at 09:41 PM.