Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Post Here any Errors in Historical Transactions

If you want to post specific errors or omissions please refer to the Thread Below.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ions-here.html

A lot of work was put into the new historical transaction database but of course there are bound to be some errors. This thread is for you guys to post these errors so we can get them corrected as soon as possible.

When you find an error or an omitted transaction the 1st thing you should do is look at baseball-reference.com and check and see what their record of the transaction is. Often you may be surprised and the transactions are correct.

Some issues you may see that are not errors are...
1) Error Destination Team - This simply means the team does not exist in the game such as minor league teams, expansion teams that have yet to be created. These players will go the Free Agents.
2) Player Already Retired - This means the player has (according to the game) retired and the transaction is invalid.
3) The David Clyde (and others) issue - David Clyde was drafted in June 1973 and played his 1st game that season. He imports for the start of the 1973 season and is available the entire year. This is not an error but rather a limit of the game at this point.
4) Players are on opening day rosters who did not join team until later - This should only be an issue your import season as the game imports based on the historicaldatabase's 1st listed stint for the player. If a player was signed on May 22nd by Cleveland and played for nobody else prior to that year he will be with Cleveland on the initial import since that is the 1st team he played for that year. We are currently devising a work around for this.

And since I got the ball rolling here is the 1st error...

Dutch Zwilling played for the Chicago Whales in the Federal League in 1914 and 1915, unfortunately, source database has this as the Chicago Cubs. He will go to the Cubs instead of the Federal League (Free Agent). This will be fixed in an update.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com

Last edited by Gambo; 06-21-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
jwisenberg
OOTP Roster Team

I do have a question regarding the transactions. I have looked over the file format of the database and it seems pretty straight forward. Can we add in minor league promotions/demotions. When I purchased the game I presumed that when it stated real life transactions/lineups the rosters would be set at 25 (or whatever the roster limit of that year was) instead of having all players active. I would be willing to help assist in adding this data if needed.
jwisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwisenberg View Post
I do have a question regarding the transactions. I have looked over the file format of the database and it seems pretty straight forward. Can we add in minor league promotions/demotions. When I purchased the game I presumed that when it stated real life transactions/lineups the rosters would be set at 25 (or whatever the roster limit of that year was) instead of having all players active. I would be willing to help assist in adding this data if needed.
This information does not exist for much of baseball's history and to insure that a player who is scheduled to play in any particular game actually plays all players need to be on the active roster for now. Possibly in the future, we can come up with better methods, but right now this is the only option.

For the team you are managing, you are free to limit the roster to whatever you want, but the computer controlled teams need to have all their players active.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Not all players are active as you still have an active roster and a reserve roster (which is your minor leagues). Also, properly doing the promotions and demotions is nearly impossible as teams often go days with less than 25 players on their roster. You'd think this information is readily available even in this day and age but specific dates and movements are still questionable AND get exponentially so when you go back even 10 years. As someone who tracked this stuff for replays for other games it is an exercise in futility and eventually you resort to guesstimating.

Don't get me wrong. I think something like this would be a great. In a basic format it is possible using the current design of the database but it is not how it is designed.

Anyway, I'd like to keep this thread to only the errors that are noted in the database as this is going to be the best way to track this stuff.

If you have any other questions or comments by all means post, I think this is a great new feature.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
raiderheel9304
Minors (Rookie Ball)

otis nixon's 1991 drug suspension

I replayed 1991 earlier today and found no transaction for the drug suspension of Otis Nixon from Sept. 16 till the end of the season. This was a big deal in a tight NL West race.

But enough criticism...thanks so much for OOTP 12!
raiderheel9304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

My apologies if this isn't what you're looking for, but I've noticed a couple of cases where a player doesn't appear in the real-life lineup, it's just a blank in his batting spot. He's also not on the team roster.

A player search reveals the player, and when I went into the editor and assigned him to a team and then activated him, it was OK.

See 1941 Dodgers opening day roster, missing Mickey Owen, as an example.
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasta la vista pelota View Post
My apologies if this isn't what you're looking for, but I've noticed a couple of cases where a player doesn't appear in the real-life lineup, it's just a blank in his batting spot. He's also not on the team roster.

A player search reveals the player, and when I went into the editor and assigned him to a team and then activated him, it was OK.

See 1941 Dodgers opening day roster, missing Mickey Owen, as an example.
This is exactly what I'm looking for. If you started in 1941 Owen should be on the Broolyn roster AND if you started prior to that he should be traded from St. Louis to them on 12/4/40. I'll take a look at the database and see what happened. Can you take a look at the history on his player page and tell me what you see.

Also, give me the names of any other players you have come across.

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderheel9304 View Post
I replayed 1991 earlier today and found no transaction for the drug suspension of Otis Nixon from Sept. 16 till the end of the season. This was a big deal in a tight NL West race.

But enough criticism...thanks so much for OOTP 12!
Otis Nixon crucial in a playoff race? Comeon! But he was a good utility OF and pinch runner for that team and would have played alot in the WS with the DH option available.

Anyway, sorry, suspensions are not in the transaction database. They fall under the same criteria as injuries in that it would be difficult to track this stuff correctly. Suspensions are iffy as a player may get suspended, appeal and then get activated and then get the suspension upheld.

I do agree though Drug Suspension may fall under a different criteria than regular injuries and other suspensions since it's the league removing a player from a team due to something off the field. If a list could be devised that includes all these suspensions something may be able to be done. Technically these are there for players like the Black Sox and Steve Howe who missed entire seasons and are removed when "players miss seasons according to history is enabled"

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 06-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
bjenglert77
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Historical Play

Is anybody else like me? I want to be able to play a historical season using real transactions and lineups, but I want to be able to adjust my own team's lineup based on the players made available to me. I want to use real lineups because the program has yet to ditch the bad habit of batting catchers leadoff and Rickey Henderson third.

As far as I can tell, I can't figure out a way to play under real lineups, yet be able to manage my own roster.
bjenglert77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Since this thread has deferred to more of a discussion of the new features I have started another thread to post specific errors

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ions-here.html

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
raiderheel9304
Minors (Rookie Ball)

otis nixon...

Nixon led the league in stolen bases in 1991, and his replacement was....Lonnis Smith. He made a big difference.

But I digress...why can't a transaction list be made that includes all player movement, suspensions and injuries, much like other sims are able to do? I have always said that the ability to play a season exactly as it was played in real life is the ONLY thing between OOTP and total domination of the text based baseball market...and it is. I own them all.
raiderheel9304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I created a file of historical DL transactions. It might not be 100% accurate, but it presumably could be used as a start. In OOTP13, maybe?
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Here's a quick something I stumbled on. If you want to see the transactions for your 1st year between 1/1 and opening day. Just go to your league setup/historical and click off and on again real transactions. It will reload the file and the transactions will start from 1/1.

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 06-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #14
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Is there a way to edit the real-life transactions? Playing 1941, I would like Stan Musial to be a September call up instead of being on the Cardinals' active roster all season.
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

At this point no.

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
Here's a quick something I stumbled on. If you want to see the transactions for your 1st year between 1/1 and opening day. Just go to your league setup/historical and click off and on again real transactions. It will reload the file and the transactions will start from 1/1.
Gambo, this is a MAJOR discovery. It completely solves the problem of players who were released early in the year and re-signed by the same team during the season. (See Charlie Gehringer and Chuck Klein, both in 1942.)

I think this reload of the transactions file (and the lineups file, if appropriate) should be automatically done inside the game for the sake of best accuracy during the early months of that first season. Or could the initial load of those databases be rescheduled to occur when it would produce this result? (I suspect not.)

Either way, this great discovery needs to lead to something more than a workaround. Not that it isn't a marvelous one. . . .
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjenglert77 View Post
Is anybody else like me? I want to be able to play a historical season using real transactions and lineups, but I want to be able to adjust my own team's lineup based on the players made available to me. I want to use real lineups because the program has yet to ditch the bad habit of batting catchers leadoff and Rickey Henderson third.

As far as I can tell, I can't figure out a way to play under real lineups, yet be able to manage my own roster.
This is currently being looked at and possibly fixed in the patch. If true, then this would be a great expansion for this feature. I hoping we can have at some point both the user and computer use 25 man rosters so we can actually run the team on field and the computer will field the best 25 and use as close to the actual lineup as possible.

OOTP MODS:
available at...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
mparks19732
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Try this

I am doing historical replay with real transactions and real lineups in 1946 as Cubs. Once I get into my first date I then check the use real transactions and lineup boxes and load the proper as played schedule. So far all games have proper starters. I can change anyone out. I also run computer manager on all teams including mine. That activates everyone. Bit I use Baseball References site to sub only the people who played that day. As long as you use 1919 or later it shows the players. You just need to search for it.
mparks19732 is offline   Reply With Quote