Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 AM   #21
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

I'm having some slight troubles with this.

Okay, so I loaded all of the files in. I clicked on "re-import names database."

I simmed ahead to my next draft. I had about 100 guys named Tex, 100 guys named Willie, and 100 guys named Artie. There were a few other names sprinkled in there.

Last names look okay, though.

Now, here's what's weird. When I clicked on "re-import names", nothing happened. No loading or anything. I replaced the original first name file, and again clicked on "re-import." It then took about 20 minutes to load the names.

So, I think something is screwy here. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but from what I see, the first names file is not working correctly.

It looks fantastic though and I can't wait to use it!

Disclaimer: I just realized you said this was for OOTPX. I'm using v9. I didn't think that would make a difference, but I could be wrong.
ryanivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
Dr. Wu
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanivr View Post

I simmed ahead to my next draft. I had about 100 guys named Tex, 100 guys named Willie, and 100 guys named Artie. There were a few other names sprinkled in there.

Now, here's what's weird. When I clicked on "re-import names", nothing happened. No loading or anything. I replaced the original first name file, and again clicked on "re-import." It then took about 20 minutes to load the names.

So, I think something is screwy here. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but from what I see, the first names file is not working correctly.

Disclaimer: I just realized you said this was for OOTPX. I'm using v9. I didn't think that would make a difference, but I could be wrong.
The re-import names function is reputedly a little hinky.

What I've done as a workaround is this:

First, replace the name files you have with the name files you want to use (backing up the originals if you like).

Second, create a new game. Don't spend any time on the league setup; just have OOTP create the new game.

Third, exit OOTP.

Fourth, go into the new game, and find the name files that OOTP generated for that game. Copy them.

Fifth, paste the name files created for the new game into the one you're already playing.

At that point, the old game should work fine with the new names. You can do whatever you like with the new game you created, but I always delete mine.

It's a little more involved than using the re-import names feature, but it works all the time, which that particular feature doesn't, for some reason.
Dr. Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #23
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wu View Post

Fourth, go into the new game, and find the name files that OOTP generated for that game. Copy them.

Fifth, paste the name files created for the new game into the one you're already playing.
Not following you here. Does it create a new file in the saved_games folder that I should find and copy?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #24
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:

First, replace the name files you have with the name files you want to use (backing up the originals if you like).

Second, create a new game. Don't spend any time on the league setup; just have OOTP create the new game.

Third, exit OOTP.

At that point, the old game should work fine with the new names. You can do whatever you like with the new game you created, but I always delete mine.

It's a little more involved than using the re-import names feature, but it works all the time, which that particular feature doesn't, for some reason.

This is how I used to do my Historical names in old versions before the import feature. The problem with doing it then in a league already running was that established players would have their names changed. I found a work around for that, too, but doesn't this still occur using the method you described?
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
bubba22plus
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
This is how I used to do my Historical names in old versions before the import feature. The problem with doing it then in a league already running was that established players would have their names changed. I found a work around for that, too, but doesn't this still occur using the method you described?
I learned that the hard way, as in my dynasty.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #26
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not following you here. Does it create a new file in the saved_games folder that I should find and copy?
In the saved game folder of the league you create will be a file called "names.dat". You can copy this into your current league, however I believe (not tested yet), this will change every player's name in the league, not just new draftees.

In the new firstnames.txt file I created there is no "Tex" (these names are for a modern setting and that is an old-fashioned nickname), so the problem is not with my file......
Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #27
bubba22plus
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Third, exit OOTP.

This didn't work for me, and now no matter what i do the only names the game will generate is Zach, Clark (first two being my first and last name and the name i use in game), Joe and Unknown. Even in new games.

Last edited by bubba22plus; 07-31-2009 at 04:08 PM.
bubba22plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #28
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A new league generates some new .dat names files; those are the files he's talking about moving around. For example names.dat is the main one.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
bubba22plus
All Star Reserve

Quote:

ok, do what i say:

Put an underscore in between the first and names of the firstnames file so instead of firstnames.txt it's first_names.txt .

Last edited by bubba22plus; 07-31-2009 at 05:09 PM.
bubba22plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #30
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba22plus View Post
ok, do what i say:

Put an underscore in between the first and names of the firstnames file so instead of firstnames.txt it's first_names.txt .
CRUDS! Did I forget to do that?....

Yes, I did....

Sorry, I'll get a new file up on PadresFan's site as soon as possible....
Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #31
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

Haha. No problem, Questdog. Can't wait to use the file.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #32
bubba22plus
All Star Reserve

Quote:
CRUDS! Did I forget to do that?....

Yes, I did....

Sorry, I'll get a new file up on PadresFan's site as soon as possible....
I hope your not offended by me pointing that out .
Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #33
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba22plus View Post
I hope your not offended by me pointing that out .
I am grateful....please find more errors!.....
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #34
johndoe8865
Minors (Single A)

Okay, so I want to use these great files. I am about 6 games into my dynasty run. Can I just use the re-import button and then the next time the game generates players, they will be more realistically named? Or is there more legwork to be done?

From what I'm reading the whole create/copy/paste method may mess with current players names, and I certainly do not want that.

Any help, thanks.
johndoe8865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #35
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe8865 View Post
Okay, so I want to use these great files. I am about 6 games into my dynasty run. Can I just use the re-import button and then the next time the game generates players, they will be more realistically named? Or is there more legwork to be done?

From what I'm reading the whole create/copy/paste method may mess with current players names, and I certainly do not want that.

Any help, thanks.
To use in a league already running:

IMPORTANT!! Make sure you rename firstnames.txt to first_names.txt

Plus, you'll have to use the ethnicities.txt provided, as well.

Put the files in your "data" folder and then re-import them into the game.

IMPORTANT!! The nations.txt file needs to be changed to work with these
files, and it does NOT re-import....

so....after you re-import the files, get in commissioner mode and go to the manager menu and "Explore the World"....Go to the USA and change the ethnicity settings to be:

Language/Name Origin #1 US (Modern) 88
Language/Name Origin #2 US (Historical) 12

Numbers 3-5 should be set to US (Modern) 0, unless you want some foreign names coming form the US, then set them how you please. Remember though, that a LOT of players come from the USA, so even a setting of 1 for a language here will make a LOT of players from that ethnicity.

If you've downloaded the file in the last day or two, you'll use US (African-American) instead if US (Historical). There's no difference in the names, I just changed the ethnicity title.

Get out of commissioner mode and PLAY!

Last edited by Questdog; 07-31-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 PM   #36
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Corrected file is posted on PadresFan's Site.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #37
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

Questdog...I'm seeing somewhat funky results here.

I just ran twenty years. I'm going through all the players and sorting by first name. I have NINE pages of "Travis," yet no one named Michael/Mike. I have five "Jon" and no "John."

Certainly John and Mike are more popular names than Travis? Not suggesting your work is bad, but it really feels like something is not working correctly here...

Last names are working great, by the way.

This is using the most updated file from PadresFan, btw (with the underscore fix)

Edit: I could also be completely wrong about name popularity

Last edited by ryanivr; 08-01-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #38
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Questdog...I'm seeing somewhat funky results here.

I just ran twenty years. I'm going through all the players and sorting by first name. I have NINE pages of "Travis," yet no one named Michael/Mike. I have five "Jon" and no "John."

Certainly John and Mike are more popular names than Travis? Not suggesting your work is bad, but it really feels like something is not working correctly here...

Last names are working great, by the way.

This is using the most updated file from PadresFan, btw (with the underscore fix)
Is this on a new league or one you imported the names into that already had different names existing?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #39
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Is this on a new league or one you imported the names into that already had different names existing?
Existing, but I have changed names files in an existing league in the past and had no issues which is why this is puzzling to me.

Again, it could be working correctly and I may just need to update my sense of what names are common.

I'm starting a test league right now. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #40
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

New league works perfectly.

Any way to get the new files into an existing game without craziness happening?