Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

A little something I've whipped up...

I don't have any screenshots of it because right now it's just a console app I put together for my own use, but I created a little tool that recreates the pre-draft disparity in signings along with the imbalanced number of farm teams without getting rid of the draft altogether. Here's a use case:

1. The user selects the number of teams in their league.
2. For each team, the user inputs the team name (or abbreviation), the number of minor league clubs there are, and then the quality of their minor league system.
3. After clicking on a button the user is presented with a text file containing the following information:

- The number of recommended rounds
- The draft order for each and every round

The draft order is determined randomly with teams having better quality minor league systems getting a boost over those who don't. For instance, when I ran things for my previous season (currently in 1935) the St. Louis Cardinals had I think 4 picks in the first round. The total number of picks is determined by how many minor league teams a team has at the old OOTP-recommended rate of 5 picks per team. Sometimes you'll get a little fewer than that many in an instance where the program figures out that you should have a 16.25 round draft, for instance (it'll say you need a 16 round draft and just ignore the final chunk of picks), but by and large the degree of difference between top-quality and bottom-quality systems isn't so great that teams IME end up with, say, no picks whatsoever (unless they don't have a minor league system, of course, which real-life teams sometimes tried to get away with into the early 30s).

The bad news is that there isn't a way that I'm aware of to actually adjust the draft in any way other than manually. At that, you have to do it round by round: change the picks, draft the round, change the picks again, and so on. If anybody knows how to hack into OOTP to actually change that stuff, I'm all ears...

Anyway, it would take a little bit of work to turn it into a Winforms program so I don't want to push it out there if it turns out I created an app that only applies to myself. So, um, let me know and stuff.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
No Pepper
All Star Starter

I always wanted to do something like this for my leagues in the era where the minor leagues operated differently than today. I like this idea. For earlier versions of OOTP what I had in mind was to limit the number of rounds so the vast majority went undrafted and became FA. Draft order or number of picks would be decided by scouting budget, popularity, winning percentage, and number of minor league teams (like the Cardinals) etc. I never got around to testing the idea and never would have come up with a program to do it. Best of luck if you decide to continue it!
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Kammich
Minors (Single A)

i would be interested in this!

this sounds like a nice program- especially for the older throwback franchises I like to play.....

I always have a hard time w/ minors in general when playing those.... to be honest, I have always had major issues with just these things which resulted in me usually killing the minors and draft and having players import to teams instead with replays....but it would kill off the fun of experimenting and stuff to a heavy extent.

i would be interested in a tool such as this if you continue on- while I do not know much about hacking the new OOTP I wish the draft would easier be modified. (I also highly wish for fix and may look into the OOTP draft round issue-- there are only the two in-game options to my knowledge, too- change the draft order for the 1st- and ALL following rounds, or adjust each round as it begins before pick #1 for every rd. etc.)...

This is not so much an issue if running an online league w/ a slow-draft (based in a post or on a message board and not done live, all at once, for example)..... because it doesn't take too long to change the order for those things and you have time for each round to handle it (or adequate time, say). Where it really gets to me is when I get to my PERSONAL league's draft and if the MLB draft has taken/is taking place, and I am trying to replicate it as closely as possible. (Note that this isn't all of the time or ALL leagues/files I am playing in personally, but I have a file where I try to simulate at least one personal league/file alongside the real MLB season (even w/ a little catching up to do once the game was released), and while I don't replicate transactions at all, I do honor the draft's accuracy as it goes along for the 1st season since I'm on the day when it gets there. (At least, I do it as best as I can-- and b/c of adjusting each and every round it can be too much of a hassle or I sometimes give-in by round 12.)

So in short I'd love something like this. I haven't tried hacks or been able to make and utilize anything cool since I was running a league back on 6.5/12.5 or whatever the updated version of that was, but I can look into the files and see if I can figure something out.... Someone else may have some luck making a tool like this-- I tend to remember one being out there for OOTP6.5 I used that worked well and I had tweaked it slightly to import draft orders in an easier way and all at once. Perhaps if it is a folder like that it could be modified and it would reflect within the game, but I'm not sure how the draft order is stored in the league files. That would be my big ? and from there I'd know if I even could do anything with it-- someone else might be able to make a piece of cake of the project though so I only bring it up for that alone.

Keep us updated! It sounds useful and like something I would definitely try out, and prolly utilize. Cheers, and thanks for helping out/sharing!
~LM