Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

and this is what is really wrong with boxing

https://www.ringtv.com/573249-press-...0891Kacm6c3tRU
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

In Canelo's case, he really doesn't need multiple or any belts to be an attraction. I'd rather see him fight a guy like Callum Smith anyway @ 168, that could be a very good & tough fight for Canelo.

Smith is big/long & can both box & punch.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Wow. What a farce.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Gee. An ABC outfit stripping a title from a fighter for no apparent reason. Hard to believe, eh.

Imagine that. Tsk tsk. I, for one, am shocked. Shocked I say!

Well, I have a spare championship belt here he can have. It's made of paper but it looks nice.

Cap
Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Gee. An ABC outfit stripping a title from a fighter for no apparent reason. Hard to believe, eh.

Imagine that. Tsk tsk. I, for one, am shocked. Shocked I say!

Well, I have a spare championship belt here he can have. It's made of paper but it looks nice.

Cap
way to go Cap
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

As I've said elsewhere, I have not followed boxing for the last couple years. But tonight I turned on the t.v. to watch Arreola v Kownacki, and happened to see the end of Pascal v Brown.

Pascal won something called the "WBA interim light heavyweight championship."

What the bleep is an "interim" championship?

Nothing has changed...
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
As I've said elsewhere, I have not followed boxing for the last couple years. But tonight I turned on the t.v. to watch Arreola v Kownacki, and happened to see the end of Pascal v Brown.

Pascal won something called the "WBA interim light heavyweight championship."

What the bleep is an "interim" championship?

Nothing has changed...
It's the WBA wanting to have more than 1 champ so they can get more $.

If you have not followed boxing for the last couple of years you picked a good night to tune in, that was a pretty good/exciting card last night. Not one boring clinch fest in all 3 fights they showed.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamed2 View Post
It's the WBA wanting to have more than 1 champ so they can get more $.

If you have not followed boxing for the last couple of years you picked a good night to tune in, that was a pretty good/exciting card last night. Not one boring clinch fest in all 3 fights they showed.
Yes. But watching all that jiggling flesh during Arreola v Kownacki, I couldn't help but think "We've come a long way from the magnificently chiseled specimen that was Mike Tyson at his peak."

Step forward step forward step forward hands up head bobbing left right left then cross cross cross UPPERCUT UPPERCUT!!!! And KO number 5,462 for Iron Mike...

Last edited by Antonin; 08-04-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes. But watching all that jiggling flesh during Arreola v Kownacki, I couldn't help but think "We've come a long way from the magnificently chiseled specimen that was Mike Tyson at his peak."

Step forward step forward step forward hands up head bobbing left right left then cross cross cross UPPERCUT UPPERCUT!!!! And KO number 5,462 for Iron Mike...
True, I was wondering about how fit they appeared - hard to believe they could throw as many punches as they did for that long. Adam admits his lack of fitness cost him a chance to fight AJ - instead of Ruiz.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, youngsters, but watching those two mugs pummelling each other made me think, back in the day they would have been, at best, prelim fighters or 'opponents' for guys like Scott Ledoux, Pinklon Thomas or Carl "The Truth" Williams, fodder to pad their records. I caught most of the Pascal V Brown slug-fest. Lots of action but no threats to guys like Marvin Johnson or a prime Bernard Hopkins.

Cap
Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #11
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I'm not THAT young!

It's a real pity that the alphabet organizations are still around. What's wrong with accepting Ring Magazine's definition of a champion? Why can't the broadcasters and boxers settle on one single championship mechanism? These are rhetorical questions of course.

I remember a few years back, reading about "interim" champions and "super" champions and "gold" and "silver" champions... It reminds me of the later Roman Empire, when emperors kept mixing in other metals with gold and silver, so much that Roman coinage declined sharply in value.

Last edited by Antonin; 08-05-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not THAT young!

It's a real pity that the alphabet organizations are still around. What's wrong with accepting Ring Magazine's definition of a champion? Why can't the broadcasters and boxers settle on one single championship mechanism? These are rhetorical questions of course.

I remember a few years back, reading about "interim" champions and "super" champions and "gold" and "silver" champions... It reminds me of the later Roman Empire, when emperors kept mixing in other metals with gold and silver, so much that Roman coinage declined sharply in value.

Years ago when George Foreman still called fights on HBO, Jim & Larry were also complaining about too many champs & George said the networks want to show some sort of title fight to attract viewers. I think Jim replied & George said back - "Well we're showing this one aren't we?"
Old 09-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #13
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

As long as all of their premier attractions are on Pay Per View, the sport will continue to decline. They've elected to maximize revenue from a vanishing population of hard core fans rather than to increase the number of those fans.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #14
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

MMA has more PPV fights than boxing - at least one a month & we keep hearing they're doing so well. Fox does a nice job with their coverage & glad to see how many boxing shows & fights they have on either Fox or their Fox sports stations.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

MMA developed its fanbase on free TV, and it's now making the same mistake boxing has been making forever. Yes, there are some fights on Fox. FS1 showed a weigh-in, some prelims, and a post fight summary Saturday, but the biggest two fights on the card were PPV. It has been this way for a generation, and the fanbase will continue to decline until it changes,
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #16
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) and Fox Sports couldn’t have asked for a stronger start to fight week.

Shoulder programming for Saturday’s Fox Sports Pay-Per-View headliner between welterweight titlists Errol Spence Jr. and Shawn Porter continues to be consumed in record-breaking numbers, including this weekend’s offering, all of which aired live on Fox’s flagship station.

The third and fourth installments of PBC Fight Camp: Errol Spence Jr. vs. Shawn Porter broke its own record on consecutive days.

Episode 3 aired this past Saturday, drawing a series-best average of 971,000 viewers according to Nielsen Media Research. That mark was nearly doubled by Episode 4, which aired on Sunday and averaged 1.706 million viewers. The installment was slotted immediately after the single-game offering of NFL on FOX in most markets (which showed the boxing-adjacent Dallas Cowboys trouncing the Miami Dolphins), while other markets aired the episode right before its Game of the Week.

-----------------------------------------

Looks like boxing has used UFC's model, will be interesting to see how this PPV did. I see Wilder's next fight is PPV vs. Ortiz, to me not a PPV type fight.