Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #21
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Bru, this was like a month ago. Why are you getting worked up about it now.

The internet is full of horrible people, most of whom congregate on the steaming cesspool known as Reddit.
True on both accounts. As I said above, what brought this up was possible interaction in another thread and looking for substantiation. Instead I made my grisly discovery.

I remembered a thread about Metacritic's very high critic rating (probably one of Matt's, come to think of it), went looking for it and found this one instead, hence my piling on here.

Well, I'm very glad everybody on this forum is smart, considerate, honest, and certainly not horrible. Yes?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #22
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

It looks like Metacritic removed a few entries (rants) that I saw a month or two ago. They weren't reviews and I assumed they were from people that never played OOTP. I thought it was because of the high rating that they assumed wasn't deserved.

I don't 'metacritic', but I do read reviews. The numbers are meaningless. No game is a '10' and no game is a '0' (assuming it works). It's a shame people felt the need to do this.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #23
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMuchTime View Post
It looks like Metacritic removed a few entries (rants) that I saw a month or two ago. They weren't reviews and I assumed they were from people that never played OOTP. I thought it was because of the high rating that they assumed wasn't deserved.

I don't 'metacritic', but I do read reviews. The numbers are meaningless. No game is a '10' and no game is a '0' (assuming it works). It's a shame people felt the need to do this.
The Chinese did it to Sports Interactive also
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Meta Critic has a very poor reputation on the interwebs.

A lot of us Steam users...ya know, the gamers that keep the gaming industry alive...well, a lot of us don't really bother with sites like Meta Critic.

I'm sure that some people still do. Hey, some people still have flip phones.

Regardless, many of us tend to look at the "% people who recommend" on Steam.

Name:  Untitled-1 copy.png
Views: 319
Size:  192.9 KB

This data is more useful than Meta Critic because only people who own the game can cast a vote. We will read the negative reviews to see what the problems may be with a game. It's not perfect but it sure as **** is a better method than Meta Critic. *rolls eyes*

Those of us that buy our games in this manner are sometimes still undecided about a purchase so we go to our ace in the hole. We go to You Tube and watch a Let's Play.

At the end of the day Meta Critic is not a consideration...ever.

A lot of us on the interweb know this.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 12-27-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #25
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

OOTP and Metacritic seem to be at war every few years or so.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:53 AM   #26
zappa1
All Star Starter

Opps

Last edited by zappa1; 12-28-2016 at 02:56 AM.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:54 AM   #27
zappa1
All Star Starter

Interesting that one of OOTP's rivals, Action PC, just released it's new version on December 16th. Hummmmmm And I would never trust the Steam website.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #28
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Not sure this is warranted though either...and it's the STEAM ratings.
Attached Images
Old 12-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #29
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if this is just old FM users who are angry that there haven't been any revolutionary changes to FM in some time, or if it's the angry Chinese (they are angry FM did not put out a Chinese edition) who have used their numbers to bombard FM with negative reviews.

The truth is, if you have never played FM before, and judge it on it's own merit without comparing it to previous versions, it is one of the best sports games of all time. I don't understand these people who go bat crazy over it.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:23 AM   #30
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
The resentment is this: they resent a game like OOTP being the highest rated game on Metacritic...they can't fathom how a game like this has garnered such scores, so in their minds, they are balancing by things out by giving a 0 or 1.

I'm not really sure there is anything Metacritic can do about it.
That's it... some fools were upset we beat The Witcher, so they voted us down in a concerted effort.

Good thing is, we ended up as the top-rated PC game on Metacritic after all, winning their 2016 PC Game of the Year award! Nothing those trolls can do against that
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #31
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
That's it... some fools were upset we beat The Witcher, so they voted us down in a concerted effort.

Good thing is, we ended up as the top-rated PC game on Metacritic after all, winning their 2016 PC Game of the Year award! Nothing those trolls can do against that
And time stood still...just for a moment as Markus raised the trophy above his head.

The crowd went crazy.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #32
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post

Oh...that whole part about Meta Critic never being a consideration...

Well, just kidding.

Nucking Meta Critic rules!

Yeah!!

Old 12-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #33
zappa1
All Star Starter

Good thing is, we ended up as the top-rated PC game on Metacritic after all, winning their 2016 PC Game of the Year award! Nothing those trolls can do against that [/QUOTE]

Pure jealousy is all it is. They always attack the guy at #1.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #34
zappa1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
And time stood still...just for a moment as Markus raised the trophy above his head.

The crowd went crazy.

Yay!!!! Markus!!!! Yay!!!!! OOTP Developments!!!!! #1 on the planet.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #35
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
The problem at Metacritic is people purposely giving zeros because they don't feel a game like OOTP deserves to be ranked the best game of the year so far...based on only 7 reviews.
outside of sports simulations... no it should not be the best game of the year. even within a category it's just an arbitrarily choosen winner... if your among the "best" that's all that should matter. (it's possible 1 is head-and-shoudlers above the rest, especially in a small niche market)

people shouldn't click Zero if they haven't played the game... homers shouldn't give it a 5/5 in all categories either, lol. i like the game but outside of sports sims, it's most definitely not a 5/5. graphics are poor... learning curve is steep (that's a problem for many people).... it's boring to most people... there are things that are broken and carried over year-to-year... they listen too bad logic in the forums on occasion (lol), balh blah blah it's a good game, but a "5" is nearly as irrational as the "0" raters. you believe in the 5, they beieve in the 0... you have a bit more integrity because you've played the game and not having a hissy fit ... don't worry about hte behaviour or children.. they're little soft-skulled disease sacks anyway.

as a sports sim 4-5...
all games - 3-4 is perfectly rational rating

i wouldn't lift an eyelide if anywhere in those ranges relative to category, because it's mostly arbitrary in nature. Those Zeroes aren't so far off as you think... i'm pretty certain if those saem people play this game they would still rate it a zero... because it's a magagement game.. .despite your feelings very few find this type of game entertaining. it's simply not popular entertainment.

there are opinions outside this very clique-y forum. there's a ton of group think here. i enjoy the game, but i know for every 1 of me, there are many that do not like it.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-31-2016 at 01:48 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #36
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
outside of sports simulations... no it should not be the best game of the year. even within a category it's just an arbitrarily choosen winner... if your among the "best" that's all that should matter. (it's possible 1 is head-and-shoudlers above the rest, especially in a small niche market)

people shouldn't click Zero if they haven't played the game... homers shouldn't give it a 5/5 in all categories either, lol. i like the game but outside of sports sims, it's most definitely not a 5/5. graphics are poor... learning curve is steep (that's a problem for many people).... it's boring to most people... there are things that are broken and carried over year-to-year... they listen too bad logic in the forums on occasion (lol), balh blah blah it's a good game, but a "5" is nearly as irrational as the "0" raters. you believe in the 5, they beieve in the 0... you have a bit more integrity because you've played the game and not having a hissy fit ... don't worry about hte behaviour or children.. they're little soft-skulled disease sacks anyway.

as a sports sim 4-5...
all games - 3-4 is perfectly rational rating

i wouldn't lift an eyelide if anywhere in those ranges relative to category, because it's mostly arbitrary in nature. Those Zeroes aren't so far off as you think... i'm pretty certain if those saem people play this game they would still rate it a zero... because it's a magagement game.. .despite your feelings very few find this type of game entertaining. it's simply not popular entertainment.

there are opinions outside this very clique-y forum. there's a ton of group think here. i enjoy the game, but i know for every 1 of me, there are many that do not like it.
While I totally agree that I wouldn't expect it to be the holy grail or a masterpiece (a 10/10) for everyone, I can see it legitimately being a 10/10 for some people. If my 2000 self saw OOTP17, I'd be in complete awe. It's only because I know it so well, its flaws and all, that it's difficult for me to give it a 10/10 myself (I usually give it a 9 unless there are some great new features or improvements).

As for the other end of the spectrum, if you're at all into sports management sims I have a real difficult time seeing how someone can legitimately rate it lower than a 6 (and even that's a stretch, but I suppose someone could legitimately be very frustrated at some bug or design decision that hasn't been fixed or improved on).

And if you're not into sports management sims, then I really don't think you have any business rating one. I wouldn't rate a child's game because I realize I'm not the target market and so my opinion on those games shouldn't have any influence on someone else's buying decision. It's a shame people rate games when they've never played them or only played them for a short time, but unless there's a system like Steam's that HP pointed out, there's not much one can do. Thankfully, I find most games' user scores on Metacritic fair. It's only when there's a huge drop, like 20 points less, that you really should throw out the user's rating.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #37
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
... don't worry about hte behaviour or children.. they're little soft-skulled disease sacks anyway.