Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 07-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

2015-16 AHL-Points Percentage?

Before you know it the new hockey season will begin for all of the leagues.

The AHL likes too do everything different. This coming season 5 teams will play 68 games while the rest of the league will play 76 games. Points percentage(instead of points) will be used too decide playoff teams.

Will FHM 2 also use point percentage or is it too early too tell?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Before you know it the new hockey season will begin for all of the leagues.

The AHL likes too do everything different. This coming season 5 teams will play 68 games while the rest of the league will play 76 games. Points percentage(instead of points) will be used too decide playoff teams.

Will FHM 2 also use point percentage or is it too early too tell?
Leave it to the "A" to try the craziest crap imaginable.

I have no idea how FHM2 will deal with this monster...
Old 07-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
checkyoursixx
Minors (Triple A)

I sincerely hope that if this does make it into the game, that we have the option to turn it off..
checkyoursixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyoursixx View Post
I sincerely hope that if this does make it into the game, that we have the option to turn it off..
Why? It's a core structure of the league. I've never seen a game where you can change the way the league decides their standings.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is why I won't allow the present day AHL too be in my FHM World. Too Mickey Mouse. I am going too replace many AHL teams with Major League teams so they can be on par with the NHL and let the ECHL be my top minor league for the NHL.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
checkyoursixx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
Why? It's a core structure of the league. I've never seen a game where you can change the way the league decides their standings.
The AHL is supposed to be a professional league but this has amateur written all over it.. what other professional sports league allow teams to play less games. We aren't talking about 1 or 2 games (theoretically baseball allows teams to play an additional game due to the wildcard).

Seems too complicated of a feature to add in anyways, so I'm not worried.
checkyoursixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The AHL is supposed to be a professional league but this has amateur written all over it.. what other professional sports league allow teams to play less games. We aren't talking about 1 or 2 games (theoretically baseball allows teams to play an additional game due to the wildcard).

Seems too complicated of a feature to add in anyways, so I'm not worried.
Yeah I don't think it will be in the game either considering there a lot more easier things that won't be in but I don't know why league structure would be allowed to be altered.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
Cole
Hall Of Famer

I haven't spoken to the developers about this, but my guess (again this is not "official" - just my speculation) is that probably not something you'll see at release, due to this being a recent league change. I have no idea how difficult or easy it would to be implement, but perhaps in a future patch?

But at some point along in testing you have to stop adding features and simply focus on tweaking and testing and the ones already in there and that's where we are now.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The AHL is supposed to be a professional league but this has amateur written all over it.. what other professional sports league allow teams to play less games.
Baseball routinely allows this, and always has, which is why winning percentage has been the way the standings are ordered.

Granted, at the major league level, the differences are small in recent times (the last time the difference was more than one game was in 2002), but prior to 1946 the differences were more frequent and larger. For example, in 1945 eight clubs played 154 games, one played 153, three played 152, one played 151, one played 150, one played 149, and one played 145. (Tie games are excluded in all preceding figures.)

Now, of course, these differences came about because of postponed games not being made up, but the end result is the same, varying numbers of games being played. There are plenty of examples at the minor league baseball level.

In terms of scheduled differences, the Pacific Coast League in 1977 had one division scheduled to play 146 games while the other division was set for 140 games. In the earlier years of the PCL, clubs were routinely scheduled to play differing numbers of games.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

The 1949-50 NBA had 7 teams play 64 games while the remaining 10 teams played 68.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
I haven't spoken to the developers about this, but my guess (again this is not "official" - just my speculation) is that probably not something you'll see at release, due to this being a recent league change. I have no idea how difficult or easy it would to be implement, but perhaps in a future patch?

But at some point along in testing you have to stop adding features and simply focus on tweaking and testing and the ones already in there and that's where we are now.
Its a dumb idea by the AHL so ill be glad to not see this make it to this years Sim.
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer2434 View Post
Its a dumb idea by the AHL so ill be glad to not see this make it to this years Sim.
I wouldn't say dumb as much as it is weird.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
dani9
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
The AHL is supposed to be a professional league but this has amateur written all over it..
they tend to call it developmental league nowadays...
dani9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
DaximusPrimus
Major Leagues

I don't want this in the game, it will be temporary. I imagine the AHL will move more westward and into western Canada eventually.
If both the Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose can survive in a city of just over 1 million people it should be no surprise that the AHL starts coming to Canada when it is failing so hard in some cities that are 3 times that size in the US.
DaximusPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #15
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I really don't see what the big deal is. Points percentage is already used as a tie-breaker in the AHL if two or more teams are tied in total points. All that's happening for next season is that points percentage, rather than total points, will be the first playoff qualification criteria.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:57 AM   #16
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

I'd like to think that when other teams are playing and putting they're bodies on the line for more points for a playoff spot while 5 other teams sit on they're rump and then goto a absurd percentile, it's becoming more and more like a joke league.

This is an NHL Development league, not some random league out there. Also.... this isn't baseball where you sit, swing, chew bubblegum, take selfies and run for a ball , its a physical demanding wear and tear sport afterall, these guys goto war!! and when some teams get an extra eight games to relax before playoffs, you can't tell me that's grounds to fairness at all.

I cannot see these garbage rules lasting for very long in all honesty... my two cents anyways..

Back to the entire point of this thread... I do not bother to care if this is even added in the game.. seems like a lot of wasted time as AHL rules are usually the mad experiments we all are aware of.

Last edited by BlackIce; 07-25-2015 at 02:06 AM.
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 AM   #17
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Wasn't it the AHL that started the one point for an OT regulation loss nonsense?
Old 07-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #18
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I think the only reason this was even being done is because travel schedules are demanding for the new western teams compared to how heavily based the league is out east. It's a lot more expensive having those teams from California travel out east multiple times a year for a league that isn't really making a lot of money.

It's the same logic for why Detroit and Columbus wanted out of the Western Conference, we got sick of the long travel involved going out west all the time and having a tougher schedule than the rest of the teams. Sure it looks wonky having uneven conferences, but it keeps travel balanced. And it's the same thing here having an uneven schedule for each conference. Though I don't see it lasting either.
Lord PichuPal is offline   Reply With Quote