Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
ffatma
Bat Boy

Trying to decide whether to buy this now

Hello all! I've been reading a lot of reviews (mostly bad) about this game and I'm looking at the time left before the next one will be out. I'm not entirely sure exactly how long, but I'm guessing a couple of months at most. I know there's talk of one more patch for this version that will hopefully fix a few of the bigger issues I've been reading about. I absolutely love stats. I don't care too much about the UI, as long as I can find all my menus. I've been unemployed for a while and I just started a new job a week ago. I have around $100 of spare cash to last me a couple of weeks, so spending a fifth of it is unfortunately, a fairly large purchase. (that's so depressing ) The bills are paid at least, this $100 is mainly for entertainment, snacks, coffee, etc.

Basically what I want to know from the people who do like this game is: Is the game good enough to warrant spending $20 on it now considering the position I'm in, or even though you like the game, would you say I should still hold off and wait for 2015? Thanks all!

Edit: Alright, couldn't wait any longer, so I decided to go ahead and risk it. I'll come back to give my opinion on it for anyone else on the fence.

Last edited by ffatma; 07-20-2014 at 06:56 PM.
ffatma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffatma View Post
Hello all! I've been reading a lot of reviews (mostly bad) about this game and I'm looking at the time left before the next one will be out. I'm not entirely sure exactly how long, but I'm guessing a couple of months at most. I know there's talk of one more patch for this version that will hopefully fix a few of the bigger issues I've been reading about. I absolutely love stats. I don't care too much about the UI, as long as I can find all my menus. I've been unemployed for a while and I just started a new job a week ago. I have around $100 of spare cash to last me a couple of weeks, so spending a fifth of it is unfortunately, a fairly large purchase. (that's so depressing ) The bills are paid at least, this $100 is mainly for entertainment, snacks, coffee, etc.

Basically what I want to know from the people who do like this game is: Is the game good enough to warrant spending $20 on it now considering the position I'm in, or even though you like the game, would you say I should still hold off and wait for 2015? Thanks all!

Edit: Alright, couldn't wait any longer, so I decided to go ahead and risk it. I'll come back to give my opinion on it for anyone else on the fence.
Hey!

I was too late to give any opinion and you'd already bought it by the time I'd read this, haha! Hopefully you enjoy it. If you've been doing that amount of research on the game you should know what to expect out of it.

Make sure to leave your review of it like you say, whether good or bad it all helps! If you find problems tell us them too so we can see if they are new or existent ones and of course I hope you enjoy the purchase
Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
ffatma
Bat Boy

So far so good! My immediate impressions are pretty much all positive. I definitely would like to see a way to back out of menus one screen at a time, as that's the main issue I've run into. I haven't looked into this yet, but is there a reason the NHL teams don't have their proper logos? Licensing?

I tried a few trades, to see how easy it actually is to fleece the other GM, as that's one of the issues I had seen repeatedly in reviews and I've got to say that I haven't noticed anything I would consider facepalm-worthy yet. I did make a trade for MSL to get my Rangers lineups correct and Stevie Y wasn't taking anything less than what he got in real life.

The games themselves might seem boring to some people, but I don't mind the way they're set up, as I've been having fun imagining the action as the info comes up. I would like to see a bit more of the play by play show up though. It's a bit sparse.

Overall, my first impression of the game makes me happy that I decided to go for it.

Edit: Just noticed during the game that I'm going through now that Boyle put one on Scrivens and then 4 seconds later Richards for LA got a shot on goal vs Lundqvist! Must have been a crazy fast transition!
Another one, Kevin Klein takes the shot on Scrivens, there's a rebound and Kreider scores off it. But the scoring play is Kreider from B. Richards and St. Loius.

Last edited by ffatma; 07-20-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Carna
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffatma View Post
I haven't looked into this yet, but is there a reason the NHL teams don't have their proper logos? Licensing?
A league and team logo megapack from here: Logo Pack for Franchise Hockey Manager ? EHM The Blue Line

It contains 97 league logos and 1,334 team logos for all playable teams and a wide range of non-playable teams. The installation instructions are as follows:

1. Assuming you selected the default installation option when installing FHM, go to the following folder: <<My Documents>>\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 2014\data\quickstart_games\Majors.quick\graphics\
2. Optional: Delete the logo_leagues and logo_teams folders.
3. Extract the ZIP file to the abovementioned folder. Ensure that you enable the “Use Folder Names” option in WinZip before extracting.
4. If the files have been extracted correctly, two sub-folders will have been created with the logos in (logo_leagues and logo_teams).

Note that this will only add the logos for newly created saved games. If you want to add the logos to existing saved games, you must also follow the instructions below for each saved game you want to update:

1. Assuming you selected the default installation option when installing FHM, go to the following folder: <<My Documents>>\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 2014\data\saved_games\<<Saved game name>>.lg\graphics\
2. Follow steps 2 – 4 above.
Carna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
ffatma
Bat Boy

Fantastic, thanks very much!

Got another one where there was a rebound and the guy who scored was assisted by players other than the first shooter, so that seems to definitely be an issue. I also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any indication of the goalie being pulled when the other team is down by 1 at the end of the game.

So far, all small issues and I'm still happy I bought it!

Just noticed that there actually is a button to press to back out of menus and that I completely missed it, so that's one thing off my list! :P

Just had a defenseman take a shot from the top of the circle, 2 seconds into the game!

Last edited by ffatma; 07-20-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #6
tictacktoe5
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yeah the game engine does weird things like not properly giving the shooting player an assist off the rebound or having like 2 or 3 faceoffs in a row. The only thing the PbP really shows are shots and goals. The actual dialog will tell you when a faceoff is taken and won and stats don't update until a shot on goal is recorded. So if your team wins two faceoffs, misses two shots, and your opponent shoots and the goalie makes a save, all the action that took place before the SOG will show up on the stats board in game.
tictacktoe5 is offline   Reply With Quote