Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

My historical experience

Has been fun so far! I started in 1913, playing as the NY Giants (will switch to the Seattle Pilots in 1969), with the draft on (real transactions off). First course of action was trading a multitude of things for Walter Johnson. I was hoping to get Babe Ruth with the 14th pick of the draft, but Cincinnati grabbed him at 12. Luckily, he didn't sign and went back to the draft. My team went 87-67 (2nd place) that year, with our second baseman Larry Doyle winning MVP. Of course, Doyle was great for us, but I decided I'd rather have my favorite player ever, Mr. Tyrus Raymond Cobb. So, I traded Doyle, Rube Marquand, Josh Devore, Ward Miller and Red Ames for the Georgia Peach. He missed the first month and a half of the next season with an injury and multiple setbacks, and ended up hitting .318 that year. Even with Walter Johnson (26-10, 2.32 ERA) and deadline pick-up Claude Hendrix (11-5, 1.69 ERA after joining us), we still only went 82-72, missing the playoffs again.

I needed to make some changes. I picked up George Sissler for Harry Keupper, whose doing very well for the Cubs. I traded away George H Burns for Irish Meusel. The draft rolled around, and the Babe went 1st. He still wasn't signed 2 weeks prior to the deadline, so I just acted as Washington and had them sign him. I offered Washington Christy Matthewson for him, and they said it was acceptable. However, knowing Matthewson was in the tail-end of his career, I also threw in my next 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks, to make it more fair.

So now it's 1915. My team is currently 21-26 () but we should be doing better, given our talent. My rotation and lineup consist of:

SP - Walter Johnson
SP - Claude Hendrix
SP - Cy Falkenberg
SP - Art Nehf

1st - 3B Tillie Shaffer
2nd - SS Cliff Daringer
3rd - CF Ty Cobb
4th - RF Steve Evans
5th - 1B George Sisler
6th - LF Claude Cooper
7th - C Harvey Russell
8th - 2B Johnny Evers

Just imagine what it'll be like when Cobb, Ruth and Sisler are all in that lineup at the same time...
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
D. Boon's Ghost
Bat Boy

That's a rather amazing line-up.

I started a Cleveland Indians game in 1911 (no draft in mine). After snagging Tris Speaker from Boston, I sold the rest of the farm (plus $10,000) to Washington for Walter Johnson.

In the eight years this game has been going, Big Train has won seven Pitcher of the Year Awards. On top of that, he has thrown an astounding four Triple Crowns!

I've never seen anything like it.
D. Boon's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
reo
Minors (Triple A)

i think I'll start my next game in that era, my current began in '36.
Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.
reo is offline   Reply With Quote