Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #21
MetalMan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
Yep
Great, one more reason for me to buy the game one of the coming days
Thanks for the quick reply!
MetalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #22
zukes
All Star Starter

I think Toronto being 40% foreign born is conservative. Is Toronto still cionsidered Canada anymore? .

Anyway, Vancouver and Calgary also have very large Asian communities, and Ontario has a very large Portuguese community, so not surprising to see a name like that. I will probably add a few Neves' to my Canadian league, just to feel at home.
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #23
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLwebguy
Canada as a nation is set up to grab 65% English Canadian, 30% French Canadian and 5% Chinese, at least I thought that was it. We have the ability to change each nation to add up to three name sets to draw from. You could set it to 100% English Canadian if you wanted too
There's 2 problems with this I believe:

-Most Canadian Asians, at least of my generation (I'm 30) and younger, do not use their ethnic first names. They may use their ethnic last name, but rarely do they go by their ethnic first name.
-Just because our population breaks down a certain way doesn't mean that's how our baseball population breaks down. Despite Gagne and maybe a couple others currently in the bigs, I don't think French Canadians come even close to 30% of our pro players.

Thankfully, though, the files are editable.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:53 PM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Love
Since MD doesn't seem to be around at the moment, let me fill in for him by saying:

The ONLY way to be running a realistic sim is to be using that name file. The name file MUST be right. You must be WRONG.
Roffle

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #25
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76
There's 2 problems with this I believe:

-Most Canadian Asians, at least of my generation (I'm 30) and younger, do not use their ethnic first names. They may use their ethnic last name, but rarely do they go by their ethnic first name.
-Just because our population breaks down a certain way doesn't mean that's how our baseball population breaks down. Despite Gagne and maybe a couple others currently in the bigs, I don't think French Canadians come even close to 30% of our pro players.

Thankfully, though, the files are editable.
That is the beauty of it! All customizable. Every league owner will have different ideas on how thier league should look
RBLwebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:00 AM   #26
dougaiton
Hall Of Famer

Any word on how we edit the name files yet? The Icelandic file has no Icelandic names (all Icelandic surnames are a first-name with sson at the end), but rather a collection of mixed Scando-names, and the name files for Sweden and Norway have Finnish names in it, like Numinen or Litmaanen.
dougaiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:32 AM   #27
Eumel
Major Leagues

Well, the Russian name file has some silly women's names in it -- I saw that coming and will edit them out.

Why was the number of "ethnicities" limited to 40? That's such a strange number, not even a power of two...
Eumel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #28
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Since we're talking about Asian names in this thread I figured it would be better to bump this instead of starting a new thread.

At any rate, I just created a fictional Taiwanese league just to see what the names would look like and I noticed that the player names are backwards. Meaning in Taiwan, a persons family name comes first and then their given name. For instance, there is a player named Ping Chang-wei in my league. Ping is his family name and Chang-wei is his given name. However, the game presents him as Chang-wei Ping. For the sake of accuracy, it would be nice if we had an option on how player names are presented, especially in countries who are "backwards" from the US and other western countries.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #29
Porb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnel
no comment on Lee Lee, but there are plenty of chinese in Toronto. might not be a common name, but not hugely suprising and certainly not a bug.

Onnel
There used to be a guy in my company's employee directory named George George. I, for one, would be sad to see no double names in OOTP.
Porb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #30
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasthomas
There's 400,000 Chinese in Toronto (roughly).
I did not know that.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #31
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposableheros
yep, he may ask or yep, its in there?
Love that sense of humor.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #32
spark240
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoPeeler
...in Taiwan, a persons family name comes first and then their given name. For instance, there is a player named Ping Chang-wei in my league. Ping is his family name and Chang-wei is his given name. However, the game presents him as Chang-wei Ping. For the sake of accuracy, it would be nice if we had an option on how player names are presented, especially in countries who are "backwards" from the US and other western countries.
It would be fine to have such players "presented" by that convention in PBP and news text, but in rosters/lineups/etc., I'd still want all family names in the same column.

BTW, some individuals from societies which use the "last first" name convention, when they emigrate, choose to follow the convention of the society in which they have moved to. Probably they get sick of people misunderstanding what their name is.

Last edited by spark240; 07-07-2006 at 10:56 PM.
spark240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #33
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240
BTW, some individuals from societies which use the "last first" name convention, when they emigrate, choose to follow the convention of the society in which they have moved to. Probably they get sick of people misunderstanding what their name is.
Yeah, like Chien-ming Wang and Chin-hui Tsao. That doesn't bother me so much. But you bring up a good point about the columns, especially if you're shopping for prospects from other counties that use the opposite convention.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote