Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #1
JKrause
Bat Boy

When should I sign my draft picks

Okay, these may not be a FHM-specific questions but I'll ask anyway:
  • When is the best time to sign the players that I just drafted?
  • Should I sign them as soon as I can?
  • Should I wait until they are good enough to play in the league I'm the General Manager of?
  • Will they benefit from training/coaching if they aren't signed?
  • What factors limit the number of players that I can sign?
  • Is it based on roster size? Salary cap?
Thanks in advance.
JKrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrause View Post
Okay, these may not be a FHM-specific questions but I'll ask anyway:
  • When is the best time to sign the players that I just drafted?
  • Should I sign them as soon as I can?
  • Should I wait until they are good enough to play in the league I'm the General Manager of?
  • Will they benefit from training/coaching if they aren't signed?
  • What factors limit the number of players that I can sign?
  • Is it based on roster size? Salary cap?
Thanks in advance.
It's really hard to break this down, so here's the long answer:

The best time to sign is when you choose. A first round pick probably should be signed right away - everyone else? Depends if they have a current ability of 2 stars or above. Make sure they are signed before rights expire (unless you don't want them!)

In the NHL, you are limited to 50 contracts, so be aware of that. You can "bury" a contract though by say signing an 18 year old and sending him back to the Canadian Hockey League (if he's from Canada) for his 18th and 19th year old seasons.

But, it depends where you're drafting them from. Leaving a player in the CHL or NCAA to develop is fine, as is some top tier leagues like the SHL, Liiga or the National League - but if they are lower, you may want to consider signing them sooner and bringing them and putting them into your development system. That being said, if a player isn't at least 1 star (and probably, 1.5), I would leave them where they are unless they are playing on a really obscure team.

The only benefit to signing them in terms of training is you can choose what they develop more in, but they're still going to improve no matter where they are, so it's not too much of a worry.

Remember: Younger guys = Cheaper Contracts. Cheaper Contracts = Being able to keep your top guys (or sign top guys) to play. It's a constant go around and you need to have players continuing to push into your lineup. Just don't rush anyone. Sometimes letting them develop and signing them late is the right move.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
JKrause
Bat Boy

Thanks Adam. That's a great summary and what I was looking for. I drafted 3rd after my 2020 season and picked a goalie with high potential. I don't think his overall ability was more than 2.0.

When signing some of the previous draft picks, I got a notification that said I couldn't sign someone. I'll need to check to see if it was related to salary cap or roster size.
JKrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Triactus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Like Adam said, it's a question of personal preference, but signing your draftees on the later side means they are more developed when you sign them to their entry level contract (and so you save more money).

Personally, I sign my draftees right before the rights expire, unless they can make a meaningful impact on my team right away (so either they fill a role I don't have anyone else for or they can make my first scoring lines or first defensive lines). Sure, they might be able to keep up with the NHL on a fourth line, but there are plenty of UFAs or waived players for that. The three years on minimum wage will be super important when in a bind with the salary cap. And anything with a potential of 2 stars and below, I don't sign, because there will always be UFAs better than that.
Triactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrause View Post
Thanks Adam. That's a great summary and what I was looking for. I drafted 3rd after my 2020 season and picked a goalie with high potential. I don't think his overall ability was more than 2.0.

When signing some of the previous draft picks, I got a notification that said I couldn't sign someone. I'll need to check to see if it was related to salary cap or roster size.
Both are possible. Make sure to check your roster screen at the bottom for the easiest way to see the numbers (as well click on the Contracts tab to see your available contracts).

Keep in mind, you may get that message if a player is too young (you may have to wait until July 1st), they are in the NCAA (they don't want to sign), or are in a league where they are contracted and can't leave it (see: KHL).
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote