Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
Fenixdown
Minors (Double A)

Request/Suggestion for PT21 : "Whale" Leagues

For non-whales, at least most of us, finally climbing to the Perfect League levels is NOT FUN! My current league has SIX, count them, SIX whale teams! One of them has won TWELVE Perfect League titles and has SIXTEEN perfect cards! Oh yeah, cuz my team who's average card cost of 25k stands a snowball's chance against that! JOY!

Just make a "Whale" league. Call it whatever, I don't care. But the moment a player's 25-man roster costs four digits in total PP value per dollar, they immediately get placed in it and can never be demoted. They clearly need an actual challenge factor, and what's going to give them that? People of their own ilk, and 29 of them all grouped together. You can make the bottom two penalty I don't care what (make a Whale ladder, for all I care), and give the top 2 teams I don't care what (give them more perfect cards for all I give a hoot), just go throw them all together and let the rest of us who just want to have fun making fun teams that don't include Cy Young, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Walter Johnson, ect. have fun climbing our own ladder. Seriously, this is bullcrap. I don't even want to look at my team after Saturday because I know I'll have the road wild card and get done up cuz the wild card team will be starting Walter Johnson and I'll lose in a shutout. When you can predict accurately the result of your game/series, the game isn't fun. It's about as enjoyable as (for those of you who play Magic) Esper control matches when you're not even running a deck that has blue in it (oh he'll counter this, he'll kill that, he'll exile this thing, he'll bounce that, and I'll get decked out in ten more turns).

They're special snowflakes. Put them in their own special snowflake league with each other. The game will be better off. Heck, who knows, maybe it'll encourage more people to want to be whales! You guys like money, right? Of course you do. There ya go, make more money, they get a real challenge, we get less of a headache...everyone wins!
Fenixdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post

They're special snowflakes. Put them in their own special snowflake league with each other. The game will be better off. Heck, who knows, maybe it'll encourage more people to want to be whales! You guys like money, right? Of course you do. There ya go, make more money, they get a real challenge, we get less of a headache...everyone wins!
:Yes, I agree. Let's have special "safe places" in PT for people who can't compete on the basis of ugly capitalist money. (Forgets they already exist in the form of iron league tournaments).

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
The irony of the OP is just too much.

So you want the game designed with some arbitrary cutoff where you (and only you) can win? Got it.

Let me ask you this...you say your roster averages 25K per card. What about OOTP'ers with rosters that average, say, 8K per card and might consider you to be a whale? Should you then have to go into a league of your own so they can win it all? And let's not even get into the fact that sometimes you can get a better card for cheaper than a more expensive one that doesn't play as well. That is more about skill and knowing how the game works than bankroll. These arbitrary "I should be able to win" threads that pop up are completely tone deaf to everything aside from "but, I want to win too!"

You KNOW what the model is. Adjust your expectations accordingly. If you are unhappy with your team's performance, either spend some $$$, grind for some upgrades, or get really good at understanding how the game works so you can be more efficient with your points. Every one of us has these same choices to make.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Removed. (better to let this one slide)

Last edited by HRBaker; 01-18-2020 at 12:40 AM.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #5
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For non-whales, at least most of us, finally climbing to the Perfect League levels is NOT FUN! My current league has SIX, count them, SIX whale teams! One of them has won TWELVE Perfect League titles and has SIXTEEN perfect cards! Oh yeah, cuz my team who's average card cost of 25k stands a snowball's chance against that! JOY!

Just make a "Whale" league. Call it whatever, I don't care. But the moment a player's 25-man roster costs four digits in total PP value per dollar, they immediately get placed in it and can never be demoted. They clearly need an actual challenge factor, and what's going to give them that? People of their own ilk, and 29 of them all grouped together. You can make the bottom two penalty I don't care what (make a Whale ladder, for all I care), and give the top 2 teams I don't care what (give them more perfect cards for all I give a hoot), just go throw them all together and let the rest of us who just want to have fun making fun teams that don't include Cy Young, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Walter Johnson, ect. have fun climbing our own ladder. Seriously, this is bullcrap. I don't even want to look at my team after Saturday because I know I'll have the road wild card and get done up cuz the wild card team will be starting Walter Johnson and I'll lose in a shutout. When you can predict accurately the result of your game/series, the game isn't fun. It's about as enjoyable as (for those of you who play Magic) Esper control matches when you're not even running a deck that has blue in it (oh he'll counter this, he'll kill that, he'll exile this thing, he'll bounce that, and I'll get decked out in ten more turns).

Well, congrats on having a team in the perfect leagues that's regularly making the playoffs.

Some of us are just floating around in the not-quite-bad-enough-to-get-relegated category.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:24 AM   #6
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

And welcome back! We're here playing everyone's favorite game show,

GUESS

THAT

RECORD!!!

Alright folks, Fenixdown is today's contestant and he looks itching to get at it. But remember! Any of you folks in the audience can grab a seat at the podium if you can beat him to the punch!

This team here is currently playing in a league with several free to play teams and no team with even close to the number of perfects on their payroll. Their roster is attached, featuring dominant SPs like Ed Walsh and Eppa Rixey together with usually dominant SPs in the bullpen like Randy Johnson, Rube Waddell, and of course 100 Mariano Rivera as the closer. Meanwhile, their bats feature 100 Ruth, Griffey, DiMaggio, Boudreau, Brett, Gibson, POTM Bellinger, and the likes of 98 Ted Williams purely to pinch hit!

Alright, as usual we're going to be taking actual records from several teams in the league, and you're going to try to guess which one is real!

Is this team:

A) 99-32 with the best record in the league
B) 96-35 with the best record in the conference
C) 88-43 leading their division
D) 88-42, 7.5 games behind team B
E) 84-48, 15.5 games behind team A
F) 81-51, 7.5 games behind team C
G) None of the above, even worse!

Alright folks, get those guesses in!
Attached Images

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:16 AM   #7
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:

"four digits in total PP value per dollar" What does this mean?

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:08 AM   #8
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
"four digits in total PP value per dollar" What does this mean?
Sounds like he's trying to say that if your roster is worth $1000+ in real money (based on the price of PP), then he'd rather not compete with you.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
Sounds like he's trying to say that if your roster is worth $1000+ in real money (based on the price of PP), then he'd rather not compete with you.
:drools at the thought of the team fhat would buy:

Sorry, what were we taking aboit?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
Kris Jardine
OOTP Developments

I will reiterate a point that we as a dev team have mentioned many times before. There is no intention of separating or splitting teams based on money spent.

Webstore - https://ootpdevelopments.onfastspring.com/games/
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...k_Baseball_22/
Kris Jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It shouldn't have to be re-iterated. That is business suicide.

A "champions league" for perfect league winners one year is a legitimate consideration but thinking they will take paying players and force them to play other paying players is idiotic. People pay so that they have an advantage over the masses.

Besides, a lot of "whales" right now really havent spent money anyway theyve just spent time.

Last edited by dkgo; 01-19-2020 at 12:21 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #12
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I'm on board with this but only if the cards I end up dumping into the marketplace are only seen by other special snowflakes... Don't hate the player.....

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

Quote:
Oh yeah, cuz my team who's average card cost of 25k stands a snowball's chance against that! JOY!

They're special snowflakes. Put them in their own special snowflake league with each other.

this rant actually makes you the special snowflake. good luck in perfect league.

HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:50 PM   #14
FancySkunk
All Star Reserve

To turn this into maybe an actually good idea, how about one "Super perfect" League at the top of the pyramid?

Have it open up once per month or so, and have entry be based not on money spent, but on overall performance of every team at the perfect level over the past month. So in essence, once per month the 30 best teams in the game would compete against each other. Winner gets supreme bragging rights. Then all teams return to perfect at the end of the week. It would essentially be an official version of the invitational leagues that pop up from time to time.
FancySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:18 AM   #15
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancySkunk View Post
To turn this into maybe an actually good idea, how about one "Super perfect" League at the top of the pyramid?

Have it open up once per month or so, and have entry be based not on money spent, but on overall performance of every team at the perfect level over the past month. So in essence, once per month the 30 best teams in the game would compete against each other. Winner gets supreme bragging rights. Then all teams return to perfect at the end of the week. It would essentially be an official version of the invitational leagues that pop up from time to time.
That would be cool.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #16
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'll be an exception to that and say my climb to Perfect with a FTP theme team has been a ton of fun.... and I met up with an 11-time Perfect tier champion team in the World Series a couple seasons ago and took them to 7 games (I lost the final game, but those are the breaks).
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #17
daves
Hall Of Famer

It was mentioned in the past, it’s not the big spenders, it’s the Perfect leagues be saturated with mediocre teams. I have one team (Doubledays) that are built to compete at the Perfect level. The other 2 teams were low costs experiments that don’t belong in Perfect but has won regularly in the Perfect leagues .

There needs to be fewer teams promoted to Perfect and all levels. Only the Champions advance at each level! Iron should have 2/3 of the teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #18
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

IMO more relegations and less promotions would make the levels more meaningful. Not sure what the numbers should be but the Devs could run a bunch of sim years on the teams and see how they balance out.

It just seems off when a perfect team wins 110 games and they still might miss a wild card spot. Too much of a talent spread in PL it would seem. The lower tiers dont seem to be affected as much from what I have experienced.

Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #19
Kris Jardine
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Tar View Post
IMO more relegations and less promotions would make the levels more meaningful. Not sure what the numbers should be but the Devs could run a bunch of sim years on the teams and see how they balance out.

It just seems off when a perfect team wins 110 games and they still might miss a wild card spot. Too much of a talent spread in PL it would seem. The lower tiers dont seem to be affected as much from what I have experienced.

Pine Tar
Balancing the tiers is a big focus for us heading into 21

Webstore - https://ootpdevelopments.onfastspring.com/games/
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...k_Baseball_22/
Kris Jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #20
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jardine View Post
Balancing the tiers is a big focus for us heading into 21
PT19 is only promoting 2 teams to perfect for each league every week; PT20 is still promoting 4.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote