Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #981
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
They are - sports is like everything else in the world now, winning isn't measured on the field, it's measured on spreadsheets.
While I like Cobra Mgr's answer, this one supersedes it. Incredibly, while some franchises fail year after year, they remain profitable because fans continue to patronize them. Fans may come to the stadium with paper bags over their heads but their seats were paid for by someone, them or somebody who gave them the tickets. Incompetence is rewarded and therefore it goes on and on and on.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #982
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #983
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

I had to chuckle when I saw that Brett Favre made the top 100. I don't believe I have ever seen a QB be as reckless with the football and play as long as he did. I am just very happy that Green Bay got Favre and Dallas got Aikman. He's pretty much the only quarterback out of the "allegedly" greats that I wouldn't want near a team I liked even when he was in his prime.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #984
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Favre's prime was better than Aikmans.

Aikman was a pretty medium QB who happened to be on some great teams. He threw 20 TD passes once. Favre did 15 times. Their interception and efficiency rates are similar but Favre did it for more than twice as many attempts.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #985
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I had to chuckle when I saw that Brett Favre made the top 100. I don't believe I have ever seen a QB be as reckless with the football and play as long as he did. I am just very happy that Green Bay got Favre and Dallas got Aikman. He's pretty much the only quarterback out of the "allegedly" greats that I wouldn't want near a team I liked even when he was in his prime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Favre's prime was better than Aikmans.

Aikman was a pretty medium QB who happened to be on some great teams. He threw 20 TD passes once. Favre did 15 times. Their interception and efficiency rates are similar but Favre did it for more than twice as many attempts.
I agree w/both of your assessments. If Favre took his craft as seriously as Troy, no telling how good the Packers could have been. Favre wouldn't have been Favre though w/o the devil-may-care attitude. Troy was just what those wild Cowboys needed in a QB. Do the job. Steady. Winning comes first. Favre was the Cpt Kirk of the NFL. Full of ego. Spectacular mistakes followed by spectacular triumphs or visa versa. Definitely more talented than Troy, but his selfish behavior would have tilted the balance of the Dallas dynasty.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #986
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

More spectacular mistakes than triumphs by a long shot. I'll give him credit, he's got the record for most picks.

I heard a stat once while he was playing for either the jets or Vikings. It was that he never came back from being 14 points down. I think he did it that day. That stat didn't surprise me in the slightest. Most overrated qb In the history of the game.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #987
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
More spectacular mistakes than triumphs by a long shot. I'll give him credit, he's got the record for most picks.

I heard a stat once while he was playing for either the jets or Vikings. It was that he never came back from being 14 points down. I think he did it that day. That stat didn't surprise me in the slightest. Most overrated qb In the history of the game.

Joe Namath wants a word with you.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #988
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Seems like your memory is based on media narratives instead of actual stats. Not uncommon, people often cling to stories. But every efficiency stat out there shows that Favre is better and that's including several poor seasons into his 40s while Aikman was washed out at 34. His prime was a different tier entirely.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #989
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Seems like your memory is based on media narratives instead of actual stats. Not uncommon, people often cling to stories. But every efficiency stat out there shows that Favre is better and that's including several poor seasons into his 40s while Aikman was washed out at 34. His prime was a different tier entirely.
I really don't care to compare QB on two totally different teams with two totally different systems. Aikman never had to do the stuff Favre did. Just protect the ball and give it to Emmitt. Sit behind that OL and throw it to Irvin. Not give away playoff games with costly turnovers.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #990
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Joe Namath wants a word with you.
Yeah, you're probably right, and this isn't the first time I heard this. But the thing is, I never got to see him play except for games I watch on you tube.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #991
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
I really don't care to compare QB on two totally different teams with two totally different systems. Aikman never had to do the stuff Favre did. Just protect the ball and give it to Emmitt. Sit behind that OL and throw it to Irvin. Not give away playoff games with costly turnovers.
Indeed, Favre significantly reduced his INT% in the playoffs while Aikman's rose. They have similar playoff INT rates.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #992
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
Indeed, Favre significantly reduced his INT% in the playoffs while Aikman's rose. They have similar playoff INT rates.
Sometimes when someone throws an INT matters more. How about that int in 2009 against the Saints? Just threw away the Championship game with one of the worst decisions I've ever seen a supposedly elite QB make. I could go on.

If you want to keep comparing Aikman to Favre, how did they do when they faced eachother? At one point the Cowboys won 8 straight including the regular season game the year the Packers won the Super Bowl.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:19 PM   #993
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
Boy....not much rumbling from Dallas. Is it possible? Dare I say? Can it be?
Jason Garrett's job is....*gulp*......*hack*........SAFE?!

Maybe they still keep him, but Jerruh calls the shots on coordinators?
Cowboys part ways w/Garrett.

I know you're shocked.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #994
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Cowboys part ways w/Garrett.

I know you're shocked.
Where are you getting this info from? I don't know of any parting ways with Garrett. If anything, I think they are negotiating his extension, not departure./
Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #995
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where are you getting this info from? I don't know of any parting ways with Garrett. If anything, I think they are negotiating his extension, not departure./
Reports are that Garrett and Jones didn't meet yesterday like they were supposed to. Some websites, like ESPN, are reporting that sources are saying they're parting ways.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #996
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...in-dallas/amp/

No idea how reliable they are but found it a good read.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #997
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to wait and believe it when I see it. When he is finally removed, preferably by defenestration, I'm going to have the biggest night of debauchery in my lifetime. But it's all rumors until then.

The next step would be dealing with the situation of our quarterback. He's supposedly asking for top dollar, and even though I like the dude, he's not worth it. Transition tag him and draft another QB.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #998
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
He better legitimize him soon.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #999
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #1000
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

*Ahem...* Let me clear my throat....*AHEM!*

The 9-7 Titans JUST BEAT......the 12-4 Patriots...in the PLAYOFFS...in GILLETTE!!

Man!...That. Felt. Goooooooooooooooooood!

I'm just sorry that the Chiefs didnt get to exact revenge at Arrowhead, but...I'll take this too!
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote