Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-04-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

The Quest for the Nine Gold (er Great) Gloves

GREAT GLOVES LEADERBOARD

7 Great Gloves

Bobbycockstrong (year 2029 [Diamond])
taz20075
KleineBiere's Baltimore Blue Rays (year 2032)
KleineBiere's Baltimore Blue Rays (year 2033 [Diamond])
LandiHereo (year 2033 [Gold])

Dogberry99
Sullustans (2027 [Bronze], 2028 [Bronze])
======================================
[original posting]

I've been running the Sullust Sullustans for five seasons. Our goal is to win all 9 Great Gloves.

Year 2023: [no records kept]
Year 2024: 5 GGs
Year 2025: 4 GGs
Year 2026: 4 GGs
Year 2027: 5 GGs
Year 2028: 5 GGs
Year 2029: 4 GGs

You'll find a lot of the usual suspects (Aparicio, Simmons, et al):

Aparicio and Kiermaier have won it pretty much every year that I've had them. And once I got Simmons up to speed at 3B, he's won. Picked up Pillar two seasons ago and he's won. I'm kind of disappointed at Record Breaker Suzuki this season. While he did win a batting title this season, he did not repeat himself and get the GG, too. That guy's just garbage.

================================================

While I've been focused on errors, range, and ZR, until two seasons ago, I never really paid that much attention to the effect on BABIP.

My staff was the top 4 in ERA:

[IMG][/IMG]

My fifth starter (Ryu) jumped in to make my staff the top 5 in BABIP:

[IMG]

Our opponents's batting average was .199. Here's our team's EOS pitching stats:

We were successful at throwing out 51.6% base stealers. Here's our fielding stats.

My catchers: Tony Pena / Charles Johnson (both of whom won GGs for other teams in previous seasons)

We went 102-60 this season (same record as Season 3) ... and we lost in the Wild Card. Such is the game. (And such is the competitive environment of Bronze levels nowadays! - Each division's winner, except for mine, won their division by 14 games or more! )

I've actually been kind of obsessed with getting the Pitcher Great Glove, which I've never won. And that led me to paying more attention to a pitcher's DEF stat as opposed to their MOV rating.

Fellow defense enthusiasts, what have been your results? What has worked for you? For instance, I've not touched Global Strategy, nor have I touched park factors! (I thought I had but I guess that was for one of my other teams).

Last edited by Renfro; 03-18-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Maddox
All Star Reserve

I got 4 Great gloves this year

Suzuki in LF
Kevin McReynolds in RF
Aparicio at SS
Molina at C

I have replaced Molina with Bob Boone who is ranked much better. I also have Ozzie Smith trained up to 94 at 2b. He should top out at, I think, 109 at 2B so he should be in the hunt next season.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Upon your experience, Maddox, I'm training the Wiz at 2B starting ... now! I know this might be sacrilegious - hey, I'm a child of the 80's and remember fondly at Ozzie Smith's backflips as he took the field, but everything's fair game in the Quest for the Nine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6-BgGHQt24

Oquendo won me a GG two seasons ago, but his two errors in Game 163 unfairly stuck in my head. (2 of 9 errors his whole season.)
Old 02-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
joehart
All Star Starter

You can also try 85 Eddie Collins. I think he got me 5 gold gloves in one of my leagues. I was never able to get a GG from Ozzie.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Ive hit 4 on multiple occasions, but I think 9 might be close to impossible haha. There are only so many outs in a game/season, seems tough for you to get 9 gold gloves. Also there is a bit of randomness, because while you often have the usual suspects winning, the one time I won 5, my outlier was 75 rated at 2B Willy Adames. Surely there were way more better rated defensive 2Bs, but for whatever reason he won that season.
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I got 5 once. They were CF Paul Blair, 1B Corey Seager (the 89 OVR historic version with better defense), 2B Jim Gilliam, 3B Buddy Bell, and SS Troy Tulowitzki (Rookie).

My favorite stat that accompanied all this is that I also finished last in Defensive Efficiency because all my pitchers were Ground Ball or Extreme Ground Ball.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycockstrong View Post
There are only so many outs in a game/season, seems tough for you to get 9 gold gloves. Also there is a bit of randomness ... .
You know I actually never considered that there's a finite number of outs to spread around. I'll have to keep a look out for the number of chances a player gets.

The randomness I definitely know about. In one league, there were 5 Brandon Belts!!! And while mine was better in offense and defense, some other Belt won. But maybe that one had more chances?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:52 AM   #8
SJM1583
Minors (Single A)

one of my teams had Simmons and Pesky as the only silver+ hitters for a season or two - Pesky won a few GGs at 2B before i ditched him for an actual bat
SJM1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 AM   #9
SJM1583
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post
You know I actually never considered that there's a finite number of outs to spread around. I'll have to keep a look out for the number of chances a player gets.

The randomness I definitely know about. In one league, there were 5 Brandon Belts!!! And while mine was better in offense and defense, some other Belt won. But maybe that one had more chances?
If chances matter, you may be able to boost it by intentionally building a staff that doesnt strike people out.
SJM1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:03 AM   #10
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oquendo won me a GG two seasons ago, but his two errors in Game 163 unfairly stuck in my head. (2 of 9 errors his whole season.)
Errors by Oquendo lost me Game 5 of the Division Series the last 2 seasons... so I sold him and bought in Nellie Fox instead.
Attached Images

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #11
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1583 View Post
one of my teams had Simmons and Pesky as the only silver+ hitters for a season or two - Pesky won a few GGs at 2B before i ditched him for an actual bat
yeah, depending on your league level, Pesky is a top-notch pick for defense and can have a solid bat as well.... on my Silver league team, he's won 5 straight great glove awards at 2B (trained up to a 93 rating there... career ZR of +103.2 at 2B)... he also has a .297 career average after 8 seasons (1 gold / 7 silver)
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #12
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Yeah i dont know what exactly leads to gold gloves, but you gotta figure things like ZR, assists for outfielders, etc count and it seems tough to get all 9 players what they need be the relative best that season at their respective positions.

Ive noticed some seasons ive had a guy have a great defensive season, but for whatever reason he didnt have as many chances seemingly, so didnt get a gold glove.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Errors by Oquendo lost me Game 5 of the Division Series the last 2 seasons... so I sold him and bought in Nellie Fox instead.
This is exactly the route I took 2-seasons ago but I kept Oquendo as the starter. I abandoned that strategy when Maddox and others related their experiences training Ozzie Smith at 2B. I put him at 2B at the beginning of the season and now, 115 games in, he's at an 84, surpassing his 78 at SS. Though he does have a -3.2 ZR so maybe this is just a one season thing.

Let me know how Nellie Fox did for you. Fox is still on my active roster.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #14
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Last I checked my Ozzie was a 108 at Second base. That may be his cap.

That said, I have watched one replay all season long and he committed an error in that game.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
This is exactly the route I took 2-seasons ago but I kept Oquendo as the starter. I abandoned that strategy when Maddox and others related their experiences training Ozzie Smith at 2B. I put him at 2B at the beginning of the season and now, 115 games in, he's at an 84, surpassing his 78 at SS. Though he does have a -3.2 ZR so maybe this is just a one season thing.

Are you training the right Ozzie? The good one (78 overall) is a 93 at SS.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:42 AM   #16
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm pretty happy so far...

Hitting-wise he's pretty similar to Oquendo, with perhaps a few more XBH and less strikeouts. Current OPS+ of 81, which is around what Oquendo used to average for me.
Attached Images

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
Old 02-09-2019, 01:41 AM   #17
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
Are you training the right Ozzie? The good one (78 overall) is a 93 at SS.
I got the wrong Ozzie!!! I didn't know there was more than one.

The one I have is a Historical All-Star 1991. Going to be on the lookout for the 78 OVR.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:45 AM   #18
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I got the wrong Ozzie!!! I didn't know there was more than one.

The one I have is a Historical All-Star 1991. Going to be on the lookout for the 78 OVR.
It's probably the most expensive silver card going round. Last time I looked it was selling for around 15K.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:12 AM   #19
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
It's probably the most expensive silver card going round. Last time I looked it was selling for around 15K.
And that is exactly why I went with Vizquel instead...

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Yeah this should be a one season thing with the ZR. If you look at a card when they are training a position early in the process, they often have an awful negative ZR but thats probably been pulled back up a bit closer to 0 as the rating improves. Next season they should fare much better over the course of the season.