Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 08-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
BaseballGoodToMe
Minors (Single A)

More pitches = better starter?

I know 2 pitch pitchers are strictly bullpen guys, but all else being equal I assume adding a 4th good pitch makes a pitcher better in starting, I'm guessing by reducing the "2nd/3rd at bat" penalty?
BaseballGoodToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

Broadly it helps but there’s no guarantee, especially if that fourth pitch stinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

3 is all you need. i'd rather have 3 elite than 4 above average pitches that equate to same overall Stuff rating, for example.

heck, rather have 2 elite with 1 at minimum average than 3 of similar quality and both players at same overall stuff.

after "3" just look at quality of each. ratio of qualities will tell you how often it'll be thrown. there are situations where having too many pitches will actually cause them to throw their best pitch less often than if they had few total pitches. that can't be good, eh?

among other things, this is something i look at to evaluate pitchers. it's pretty easy to see which pitchers are more consistent than others over time -- per your league settings... varies greatly due to those. (particularly the stats settings)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
USF
All Star Starter

Unless you get the hard to find Knuckleballer! then you can survive with 2 pitches if the knuckler is dancing

USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

in ootp18, i have maintained ~3-4 kb'ers for th elast 20-30 years... it's freaking amazing. 1 or 2 are amazing, and the others are just workhorses even if not cy young guys.

seriously, my bullpen is pitching ~240ip/year.

it is worth your time to look at every single KB pitcher created for draft every year. get them in your system so the AI doesn't %#!$ them up. anyone ~1/2scale control and >1/2 scale movement is a potential stud with a >max KB.

~80-90/100 is good enough to be good-to-great KB too. they can sneak a cy young in or 2.

kb with a high-end chg-up can do high K/9ip rate, relative to your league too.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote