Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #1
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Smile FHM5 Tactics Discussion

Hey everybody,

We're always looking for feedback on our series, and right now we're looking for some specific comments about our tactical systems!

We want to know what you would like to see improved in terms of presentation, feedback, and options on the Strategy screen (see the picture for FHM4) and the in-game use of tactics.

Please leave your comments below. We will be monitoring this thread but likely not replying any further.
Attached Images
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:41 AM   #2
Saul Goodman
Minors (Double A)

I'd like to see the option added where even if playing in GM mode that you can set yourself to do the lines yourself as while I want to play at GM only - similar to OOTP where even if you're GM, you can change in the options that you set the line up / pitching staff yourself instead of the manager.

As an example, typically in OOTP when playing as GM I'll firstly set the lineup/pitching rotation via my manager then make tweaks to his choices that are more in line with my personal preference (IE manager always puts Trout at 2, but I prefer him batting at 3 so I switch that around).

That would be my biggest want for FHM 5 when it comes to the tactics/lineup page, as I still want to play as the GM but sometimes I don't like how the coach sets up the lines so I would like to have the ability to make tweaks to the line up without having to actually take over as the coach (as I have no interest in doing tactics etc myself).

Last edited by Saul Goodman; 03-01-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
Buchs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Best features to me would be a position lock and a option to have the AI set tactics only (meaning without moving players around).
Buchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

small thing, add a pop up when you move over the dressed list on the left side of the screenshot. at least for me it doesnt trigger. might come up with more later.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
redtiger7
All Star Starter

More systems that allow for scoring on the third lines.

More flexability. Allow me to choose 3 offensive roles on lines where 1 player HAS to take a checking role. (For example)

More expalnation: I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing. This just seems like more of a jigsaw puzzle, where I pick a system then try to fit the pieces into the right spots. These systems seem to be just a collection of roles paraceled out to certain lines. I know I'm missing something here. Maybe in the system description have a list of what roles will be featured on what lines?
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Shadow4u
Minors (Single A)

The ability to lock players in position. The ability to lock icetime - for example if you want your 4th line to play more you have to adjust this every time you update tactics. Some way to help us understand exactly what attributes work best for each player and what drives them - the game is fun to play - but I still never really am confident I know why we give up so many shots or why I can't get my power play to do better.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Let us make our own custom tactics by assigning roles without restriction.
Ability to share those tactics via the Workshop.
Being able to make those changes as GM only
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Biggest issue with tactics is that there is too much clicking right now. I think it would be easier to assign a tactical role to a player within his profile so when you move him from line to line you don't have to keep changing the roles. Especially when a player gets hurt, its very time consuming to shuffle lines and reassign roles.

That said i think more freedom of assigning roles for lines. Im not a big fan of locked in roles for each line. I understand its to work with the tactic selected but having more freedom with it would be easier to create lines.

I also think it would be beneficial if a players profile listed his top 5 suitable roles for offense and defense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
tts0
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for this thread, Adam, as I wanted to share my opinion/idieas on the matter for quite some time.

Personally, I think a whole concept of the tactical systems should be revamped, because having both defensive and offensive strategies working at the same time in coplete separation to each other its not something that actually take place in real life(Im not an expert in terms of hockey tactics though).

For example, if you play a "trap game", you are rather defensive minded, so putting a extremely offensive tactic(like firewagon hockey) on top of that makes absolutely no sense. Yet you can do that in the game and it doesnt really have any negative outcome on your play.

So, in my opinion, there still should be plenty of defensive and offensive strategies to choose from, but they should be more "broad". By that I mean defensive tactics like f.e. neutral zone trap should be an indicator of that your team is mostly focused on playing defensively and in this particular manner, so the offense is only an outcome of that type of play, almost side effect of it, so you dont need specific offensive strategy on top of that. All moves with the puck should be fixed into this strategy, as they are not the main point of it. The same with offensive strategies.

So, in my opinion, you should be able to choose only one specific strategy, either offensive or defensive, depending on you personal preferences; and each one of them should have both defensive and offensive moves fixed.

That implicates another modification I would like to see in the game, which basically is the same thing but in relation to player roles.

First of all, choosing two roles(defensive and offensive) for each player is simply a big pain in the !@#. Very time consuming, yet doesnt make much sence(although probably more than in the previous case). Plus, again, its not how it really works. If you choose your "Ovechkin" to be a goalscorer(sniper), there is no way he could/should be as defesively effective as your "Bergeron"(shadow/twoway forward), so whats the point in giving him any defensive role, when his main focus is goalscoring?

You should be able to choose only one role for each player, defensive or offensive, depending on your preferences and his abilities. And there should be more freedom in doing that, because its not like every hockey strategy is fixed that you must have every role restricted. Its more like each strategy has one/maybe few more roles specific for it. For example, neutral zone trap has that center playing in certain way; activated D has these defensmen going forward etc. It doesnt restrict any other roles.

And the last thing(for now). Countering roles, tactical advantage etc. at first, this seemed like some crazy board game/card game rather than actual hockey simulator. Now, after countless hours of gameplay, Im kinda used to it, but deep inside it still doesnt feel right. Especially, when you manage the Canucks and win 5 Stanley Cups in first 7 years(Jeff would love that!) with players that are really mediocre(2 stars). This system is just wrong! You have high tactic or/and ingame tactic atributes(or your head coach has) and you are ready to go. Few tweaks here, few tweaks there, and you got your dynasty with almost every team!

I dont know what is the cause of that, but anyways it should be revamped, becuase again it doesnt really reflect reality. In fact, there are countering roles in real life, but only a few and they work differently. For example, shadow is always a countering role, because it is designed to target specific player(the best one on the oposing line). Same thing with agitator or enforcer/goon; same thing with crease clearing defensman as he always counters any potentian screeners, garbage collectors etc.
On the other hand, the said screener isnt really a countering role even if he technically counters crease clearing defensman, because CCD would look for that kind of play anyways etc.

Last edited by tts0; 03-01-2018 at 07:41 PM.
tts0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
demons19
Minors (Double A)

I tend to agree with others that in an effort to get the upper hand, it takes too long to click all these roles. Even if you don't change them, you still click them to see if there is an advantage or not.

But, if you go through all that clicking, there must be a way to save those roles vs this specific opponent. I play the Rangers 4-5-6x and maybe playoffs, I don't want to go through this each time if they are going to use their same system all season.

I may be in the minority here but I am not sure I am even a fan of the entire tactics/roles thing. I prefer players to be players and let their unique abilities dictate how the game is played. If you acquire 12 highly skilled players, would a 4th line really become a checking line? I kinda prefer suspending some belief and letting us as the user create what we want.

But since I am sure its here to stay, it must be quicker!!! Either the assistant must be much better at it or maybe you just apply certain tactics/roles to the line.
demons19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #11
Stanley Kuppchaser
Hall Of Famer

One "Open" Selection per tactic

Not sure of the complexity of coding this into the game, but I think that adding an open option in each tactical area would give those that want to design their strategy from the ground up that ability while keeping the overall game unchanged. It would be similar to the current availability on 4th lines. Of course, that would also necessitate a locking option to save those strategies.It seems to me that would allow those who want it, a way to take as much control as they like.
Stanley Kuppchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser View Post
Not sure of the complexity of coding this into the game, but I think that adding an open option in each tactical area would give those that want to design their strategy from the ground up that ability while keeping the overall game unchanged. It would be similar to the current availability on 4th lines. Of course, that would also necessitate a locking option to save those strategies.It seems to me that would allow those who want it, a way to take as much control as they like.
Yea I feel it is also a bit too restricted in some ways, maybe we could start with making that open 4th line the official 2nd line?

Other than that a saving feature would be huge, also saving the PP and PK unit seperately and the defense pairings as well, this would make it way more user friendly. Each day to day injury a pain in the butt right now lol
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #13
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

I'd like to see an assistant set lines and assistant set player tactics as separate options instead of being combined.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote