Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
Harryherky
Bat Boy

Need help with computer purchase

I am new to OOTP, have been studying posts on the Community and am ready to purchase the game. Unfortunately, my existing desktop computer is too old and slow and unable to run the game.
Therefore, I am going to purchase a new computer (preferably a laptop) so that I can play OOTP and would love some advice:
The website gives minimum specs for Windows --Vista/Win7/Win8.x/Win10, min. 1024×768 display, 1GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, at least 5 GB free HD space, OpenGL 1.4 or newer -- so obviously I need to follow those guidelines.
Can anyone offer advice about what I should look for or avoid when purchasing a new laptop that will make my game playing run smoothly? Are there certain specs that I should enhance that make the game better?
Harryherky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I cannot give specific advice. I always buy inexpensive computer systems and OOPT runs like a charm on all of them. My 6 year old laptop ran OOTP18 with no problems. I would not worry about it at all.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Good advice above. I'd assume you'd want it for more than just OOTP. Buy what you can afford with the most storage and highest resolution. One thing I noticed buying 3 laptops recently was that smaller SSD's are offered often as the only storage option. I assume because of cloud storage. Although I like and use SSD's I chose a large HDD disk instead.

FWIW

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 PM   #4
Harryherky
Bat Boy

So you would recommend sacrificing the speed of the SSD in favor of the slower HDD to increase storage space?
Harryherky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #5
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

My win 7 laptop from 6 or 7 years ago runs just fine.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryherky View Post
So you would recommend sacrificing the speed of the SSD in favor of the slower HDD to increase storage space?
absolutely not...

SSD - definitely worth it. i have a tiny/cheap 256gb ssd from a few years ago. they lowest i went was 80gb free... i sit at 120-170 typically with 2-3 games, a few apps large and small, a emu server, and win7 os. I bet you can get a 256-512 for a very fair price, now. hopefully, that's trickled into laptop/desktop market too. you can always replace a hdd, if it makes fiscal sense relative to available options.

*in the past you wanted ~25% free space on an SSD for optimal speeds. (that's probably being very conservative, you can probably get away with less in many situations / hardware) this probably holds true to soem extent, due to how they work. data is constantely relocated to even wear and tear of the ssd. very possible they don't need as much now. google is our friend.

unless you keep TBs worth of home movies (or whatever), you don't need the storage space. you can always get a cheap NAS or external HDD, if oyu do need the storage.

if desktop - moved old HDD to new pc. after 25-30K hourse they typically die, fyi. if 'aged', don't keep anything important on it.

it's impossible to give a specific recommendation unless you work with new product all the time... it's a quarterly turnover in many cases, even though you can still find the recently 'old' stuff out there. (if you can say "6 months" is old with a straight face...)

So, you choose how much you want to spend, first. Find a few options wiht an SSD and best specs you can find @ that price.

Use google. you don't need to know jargon, you can use google for that too. find the spec sheets for the CPU model#s. if they are very similar, make sure to look for release date - may be same chip with incremental improvement that is easily outweighed by a $X cost savings, or if ~same price you know which is the newer product and likely better one.

# of cores and Mhz is only comparable between similar quality chips. i3/i5* is probably a good target... if you see an i7* that's lumped in with lower chips @ your price range, take a close look

*(like i said old info from quite a bit more than 6months, lol... iX intel chips may be higher #'s now, for example... compare i3 to i3 and know i5 is better even if it 'looks' like it may be similar or weaker -- assumes similar time period <~1year or so should be more than a safe bet)

RAM - only need "enough". You'll have teh same win10 OS, so go and look at your current RAM usage while playing ootp.

99% 4-6-8gb will be more than enough. extra RAM does absolutely nothing while unused. hopefully, that's enough explanation. as with an ssd, you do want a bit more than you use for similar but different reasons due to how RAM functions. ~20% extra is probably good, double is safer. less stress = less heat too.

CPU mhz - a bit of an e-peen compared to other specs. e.g. i3 vs i7 at same mhz is no comparison at all. # of physical cores is key.. whether it has the intel's "multithread" or "hyperthread" tech is not woth extra money - i gaurantee.

if this is "Greek" to you, the specs will say some nonsens like 4 physical core / 8 logical or some bs... if "4" cores magically becomes double with a cpu feature, you know it's nonsense. maybe with a very very specific workload it helps, but for most it's useless cpu feature that typically is a noticeable price jump from chips without the feature.

3d vid card - not required. intel onboard graphics is plenty for a game like ootp... what else do you do with 3d video apps (read: mostly games)?

get one if it make sense, but i wouldn't break the bank for it unless you play alot of games... if it's a desktop, ignore what i just said and make certain you have a 3rd party non-integrated 3d video card..

laptop cards are junk unless very expensive, so the difference isn't as great and teh cost is same/more compared to similar choice with a desktop.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-03-2018 at 12:12 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryherky View Post
Absolutely yes!

256GB is nothing with 6 OOTP leagues plus your life on it. A 1 TB HDD is far more useful. The best scenario is both.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 01-03-2018 at 08:43 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

lol, i probably would have phrased that differently had i read the post it was replying to. genuinely unintended snottiness... although i may eat those words later in this post, haha. it should have said "Maybe!"

i backtracked a bit in the other reply too - i qualified based on need. combination of storage need / price etc. NAS is the way to go, imo, for a mass storage device. so even i argued with myself in that post about "Yes, definitely" or whatever i typed.

if you do need a hdd be informed about choice:

hdd- typically the slower rpm are actually the same speed or faster at any similar price point (*don't assume, look at specs, see below).

Spin Rate(rpm) * Aerial density = possible speed -- not RPM alone

side note for fun:

how large are your leagues? you could have 50 leagues @3gB equalling ~150gB total and it would still fit on my ssd ontop my useage as explained in previous post still intact and available for use.

i don't know if you are cataloguing your life with uncompressed video/audio streams, but that "entire life" portion shouldn't take up much space relative to any sized drive... even a large home business wouldn't take up much space.

I am curious as to what is filing up TBs worth of space from your personal life ("your entire life" et al) :P

if it's home videos - get Handbrake - a free video encoder.. read up on x264 (x265 for 4k reso or higher) encoding options and go to town on those massive files. if old low-reso avi, you'll save at least 90% of the space and won't see s difference in the video.

(no answer expected, not teasing with my mind in the gutter, but i do tease a bit about the possible misperception of scale.) i do not bit my thumb at you, sir, but i do bite my thumb! (close enough)

with my 2011 (or was it late 2010? = old and crappy) pc, the time between pressing the power button and a ready to use desktop takes ~10-12 seconds - not just a 'visible' desktop -> i click and it reacts as normal. every app/game anythign loads 2x as fast even with a crappy(cheap) ssd like mine. how can you pass that up. it speeds up OS too, becaue pagefile is now 2-4x as fast. i hate waiting for electronics... ssd's are a godsend and almost give me "Faith" lol.

hdd are dead. even with the new multi-armed read/write ability hitting market soon they are still way slower than ssd. good for storing video and other large files that don't require or benefit from the increased speed. (no matter what drive you use, a movie plays at a specific and relatively slow speed.)

Last edited by NoOne; 01-03-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
froghair
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
lol, i probably would have phrased that differently had i read the post it was replying to. genuinely unintended snottiness... although i may eat those words later in this post, haha. it should have said "Maybe!"

i backtracked a bit in the other reply too - i qualified based on need. combination of storage need / price etc. NAS is the way to go, imo, for a mass storage device. so even i argued with myself in that post about "Yes, definitely" or whatever i typed.

if you do need a hdd be informed about choice:

hdd- typically the slower rpm are actually the same speed or faster at any similar price point (*don't assume, look at specs, see below).

Spin Rate(rpm) * Aerial density = possible speed -- not RPM alone

side note for fun:

how large are your leagues? you could have 50 leagues @3gB equalling ~150gB total and it would still fit on my ssd ontop my useage as explained in previous post still intact and available for use.

i don't know if you are cataloguing your life with uncompressed video/audio streams, but that "entire life" portion shouldn't take up much space relative to any sized drive... even a large home business wouldn't take up much space.

I am curious as to what is filing up TBs worth of space from your personal life ("your entire life" et al)

if it's home videos - get Handbrake - a free video encoder.. read up on x264 (x265 for 4k reso or higher) encoding options and go to town on those massive files. if old low-reso avi, you'll save at least 90% of the space and won't see s difference in the video.

(no answer expected, not teasing with my mind in the gutter, but i do tease a bit about the possible misperception of scale.) i do not bit my thumb at you, sir, but i do bite my thumb! (close enough)

with my 2011 (or was it late 2010? = old and crappy) pc, the time between pressing the power button and a ready to use desktop takes ~10-12 seconds - not just a 'visible' desktop -> i click and it reacts as normal. every app/game anythign loads 2x as fast even with a crappy(cheap) ssd like mine. how can you pass that up. it speeds up OS too, becaue pagefile is now 2-4x as fast. i hate waiting for electronics... ssd's are a godsend and almost give me "Faith" lol.

hdd are dead. even with the new multi-armed read/write ability hitting market soon they are still way slower than ssd. good for storing video and other large files that don't require or benefit from the increased speed. (no matter what drive you use, a movie plays at a specific and relatively slow speed.)
Can OOTP18 run on a tablet?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
froghair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #10
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

OOTP only runs windows, apple and linux.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

my terminology may be off on what a "tablet" exactly is...

i thought someone in forums has said there was one with suped-up intel chip that can do it?

maybe that's just some other portable electronic device and not a "tablet"
Old 01-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #12
jbarber34
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
OOTP only runs windows, apple and linux.
If I purchase on a Mac, am I also able to install and play on a PC?
jbarber34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarber34 View Post
If I purchase on a Mac, am I also able to install and play on a PC?
IIRC, yes, the two licenses you get with a purchase are cross-platform. Linux is a separate license, though.